City of bones by Cassandra Clare

City of bones (edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:KlaussFoxen
Title:City of bones
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Waterville, Me. : Thorndike Press, 2008.
Rating:**

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (585)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  All languages (597)
I have conflicting thoughts about this book. Overall, I like it, but I think it could have been so much better in so many ways.
I really liked the universe created by Cassandra Clare. I thought she did a far better job than Rick Riordan in creating a brand new world that exists parallel to the world as we know. I also enjoyed the "secondary" story that happened long before the Shadowhunters' saga. I loved the fact that, by the end of the book, you aren't sure in whom you can trust anymore. The main journey however was awful for me. I was never a fan of love triangles and in this book it felt specially annoying. I could not connect to the main characters no matter how hard I tried, their decisions seemed very immature, as if they were acting on impulse the whole time. One could argue that this is how most teenagers act, but after reading so many books with teenagers as main characters (most markedly The Fault in Our Stars - or even The Hunger Games trilogy), I question that fact. Most of Clary's issues sounded more like "First World Problems" for me.
What really shines in this book are things that happened in the past. Jace's story of the Falcon was, for me, one of the best things about him (but I still strongly disliked him). Valentine's story? Absolutely awesome. The whole war would have made a whole book, there was so much depth in that back story.

I still plan on reading the rest of the books, but I can't exactly say that I'm looking forward to hear the rest of the story. ( )
  aryadeschain | Jul 24, 2015 |
Very easily read YA fiction in the realm of Harry Potter and Twilight. Fast paced plotting. Lots of parental abandonment issues. 15 year old, feisty central heroine. I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy, but not tonight! ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Back in the day Cassandra Clare got shit for writing rip off Harry Potter fanfic, which turned into this. And reading it with that knowledge, you can really tell. The history of Valentine, his Circle of followers, the Shadowhunters hatred for Downworlders. Very reminiscent of the Harry Potter world.

But it's still DIFFERENT, and it's still GOOD. It may not be lifechanging, but it's a damn good adventure. Clare made up a very cool world with a lot of very cool people to live in it. It's pure fun to read.

Her writing isn't inspiring, but like I said, it's fun. The descriptions are nice and pleasantly exaggerated like all YA fantasy, and the witty banter is TO THE MAX. That's one of the things that makes it so much fun to read. All of the characters are super sarcastic and super witty. While it may not be realistic, it's still awesome and enjoyable.

I really like Clary. And I really like Jace. I really like Simon, most of the time. I recall a few annoying plot twists in later books, but I won't let that taint my enjoyment of City of Bones. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 16, 2015 |
An American Library Association Teens Top Ten Award winner, 2008, Pacific Northwest Library Association Young Reader’s Choice Award 2010. Supernatural, mystery, romance.
  CindyMcClain | Jul 15, 2015 |
This first novel of The Mortal Instruments series was pretty good. I really enjoyed it, but having read a later series novel by Cassandra Clare I was confused about some of the connecting points between the two. I do enjoy the world that she creates, with the Shadowhunters, as the "good guys". This was a particularly interesting story because it involves a 15 year old girl, Clary Fray, who has Shadowhunter blood but was raised without knowledge of it. Her father died when she was young and she only begins to discover her real identity once her mother disappears suddenly. Lots of action in this story and some twists and turns, but not terribly unpredictable as I felt at least one step ahead of the characters most of the time.
I definitely will finish the series because I want to find out what happens and how the series will evolve. ( )
  jaimelee77 | Jul 7, 2015 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,408,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible