City of bones by Cassandra Clare

City of bones (edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:KlaussFoxen
Title:City of bones
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Waterville, Me. : Thorndike Press, 2008.
Rating:**

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (667)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (680)
City of Bones
City of Bones, written by Cassandra Clare. Is written about a girl named Clary Fray and her best friend is Simon, One night they decide to sneak into Pandemonium (club) and sees two boys and one girl kill a boy but then the boy vanishes. Clary is a shadowhunter but doesn't know that she is, and shadowhunters kill demons. Clary starts freaking out but Simon thinks shes going crazy because mundanes (humans) can't see the shadow world. Her mother was married to Valentine which he is an rouge shadowhunter, Clary and her mother thought that Valentine died... but he didn't and is back for revenge on them leaving him. Clary eventually falls in love with Jace (the boy from the club) and Jace falls in love with her. But later find out that there brother and sister or thats what they think. Leading them on a crazy adventure trying to get her mother back because Valentine kidnapped her.

This is absolutely my favorite book series ever. Its very hard to explain this book for some reason, Cassandra did an amazing job at writing this book series. You either love this book or you don't, if you like werewolves, vampires, faries, demons, and warlocks (witch type person) this is the book is for you. ( )
  lydiab.b1 | May 29, 2016 |
I found the book to be an entertaining read. However, there are striking similarities between the storyline and characters in "The City of Bones" and many other popular works of fiction. For instance, much of the first half of the book reminded me of the first book in the "Harry Potter" series. For instance, the main character learns that there is a secret world full of mythical creatures that Muggles-- or in this case "mundanes"-- can't see; an evil enemy that people believed was defeated and/or dead returns (and threatens renewed war); and there's a flying motorcycle.

There are also sections of the book that are strikingly similar to storylines, scenes, and characters in the Angel/Buffy series, Twilight saga, and even Star Wars.

I realize that in this day and age it is rare to find a 100% original idea; but, there were simply too many elements of the book that were similar to previously published works. I found it distracting. I lost count of the number of times that I paused reading and went, "hang on, that's sounds almost identical to such and such..." ( )
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |
This is an absolutely amazing book! and to add on to that, they have a show on abc channel and Netflix. ( )
  Pamela101 | May 17, 2016 |
I dont have many things to say about this book that I did not like. I really did enjoy this book and found myself looking forward to the next time I could sit down and continue reading it! The book is very well written, I even remember reading another review where someone had stated that the author was to overly descriptive of the characters by constantly describing their appearance when we already know. There was a chapter or two where this rang true for me as well but it did not take away from the story and if anything helps keep your imagination fresh with details seeing as they would probably fade to a blur by the end of the book without it. The last chapter of this book I recall telling myself that if the author uses the work incredulous one more time I might scream came to mine but when those are the only negatives I can bring to the table for this review it really does speak volumes for the quality of the writing in this book. I am looking forward to picking up the next book and continuing this wonderful adventure and series! ( )
  Vernon.Shunn | May 8, 2016 |
(review is an average for the entire collection of books. Please go go http://www.areneehunt.com/books-books-books for individual book reviews)

When these books originally came out, I didn't pay attention to them. I was tired of how YA seemed to be all the same. When I started blogging books, I realized, I needed to read them. So I started at the beginning- the second set of the two series series. LOL I read The Infernal Devices and reviewed them (2/23/2016) and LOVED them all!

So I went out and decided to purchase the Mortal Instruments collection by Cassandra Clare, the first series of the 2-series series, but the first series to come out. You still with me? Okay, so I also want to explain that I have not watched the movie either. And as far as the tv show on Freeform, formerly ABC Family, it's a yawn.

I did happen to catch about three or four episodes, but found the actress playing Clary to be annoying. Her acting wasn't doing it for me and I felt I was forcing myself to watch the darned show, BUT if they are going by the books, maybe I'll try again. But as for now, I'm going strictly by the books.

​ Lastly, because there are like, seven books in this series, I'm breaking the review of The Mortal Instruments collection into a 2-day review! LOL I'm also including The Bane Chronicles. Nuff said and away I go...

** I decided to not include The Bane Chronicles in this review, because... well, it's not really The Mortal Instruments and thought I'd be serving a great injustice by having him tag along. So he's later.

Books are from my personal library, for an honest review. ( )
  AReneeHunt | May 5, 2016 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,956,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible