City of bones by Cassandra Clare

City of bones (edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:KlaussFoxen
Title:City of bones
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Waterville, Me. : Thorndike Press, 2008.
Rating:**

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (688)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All (703)
I liked this book a lot more than I expected. I thought Clarey was a decent main character. I didn't much like most of the others. Jace was conceited and obnoxious, and I've watched enough booktube videos to feel uncomfortable as I watched his and Clarey's relationship forming. I liked Simon well enough, but I thought his attempts to make Clarey jealous were very immature. Isabel and Alec were not terribly interesting, and seemed rather unpleasant, though Isabel, at least, had some character growth at the end. Luke seemed like a good character, and I actually rather like him. He has an interesting story and seems to be a good father figure for Clarey.

The world created in this book seems to be well formed, and interesting. The plot was somewhat predictable, (except for her love-interest being Clarey's brother, but because of this series's popularity on booktube I already knew that) but I still enjoyed the book.

I went into this book expecting not to like it much, expecting to only read the first book so that I could say that I had. This book surprised me, and I intend to keep going with the series. ( )
  NicoleSch | Feb 26, 2017 |
OMG! What a fabulous series. I love JACE and I actually like Clary. I usually don't like the females, but she is awesome. I hope she gets even tougher in the second one. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
So this book was WAY better than I had expected it to be, although I was not impressed with the outcome of Jace and Clary. Grrrrrrrr. Soooo wrong!! But other than that I got really into this story and found it very enjoyable. Can't wait to get to the next in the serie now :) ( )
  beautyandtheblog | Feb 13, 2017 |
Wow is all I can say about this book. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it at first but when I started the book I was drawn into it. Clary starts seeing things that others don't see. I was confused at first but as the book went on I started to understand the story.

The characters interacted so well right from the beginning. The ending was surprising and not something I had expected when I started this book. I will continue the series. ( )
  crazy4reading | Feb 11, 2017 |
I've been wanting to read this forever. People that know what I like recommend it highly. I liked it a lot, but not as much as I thought that I would. That may be because I was listening to it while doing housework and stuff so I may have missed something great. Anyways, I still had a lot of the plot figured out before it happened. I do plan to continue the series for sure. It has vampires, werewolves, shadow hunters, demons, symbols, magic. Lots of interesting things.
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,689,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible