City of bones by Cassandra Clare

City of bones (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:KlaussFoxen
Title:City of bones
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Waterville, Me. : Thorndike Press, 2008.
Rating:**

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (2007)

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (548)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  All languages (560)
Much like Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I went into this book with a closed mind. However, I had quite a different reaction to this book. This book I liked. When I had first tried reading it, but hadn't gotten past about the first two pages, where they are in the club. I got the impression that this book was quite different from what it actually was. I thought the blue hair and crazy fashion was not just a normal in the club, but in the entire world that existed in this book. I got the impression that this was some strange dystopian. I put the book down and didn't come back to it. However, one day I sat in the movie theater and saw a preview for this movie (just in case anybody was wondering, the movie was awful. Don't see it, especially if you haven't read all the books, there are MAJOR spoilers.) and I decided that it was time for me to read this book.
Just so that nobody makes the same mistake I made, I have a brief, spoiler-free summary. This book is not some dystopian. This book is about Shadowhunters, who seek to rid the world of demons. Jace is a Shadowhunter, Clary is not. As you can probably guess, Clary and Jace meet, and things get crazy. Demons come, people disappear, and action is everywhere.
There is a little bit of everything in this book. It's full of action, romance, and even a little comedy. This book can appeal to a wide audience. I would suggest this to almost anybody, so long as they don't have an opposition to things like love triangles (most don't really like them, but this one isn't too bad [at least in my mind]), battle scenes, and some infrequent semi-strong language. Plus, Clary is a pretty good role model. While she starts out helpless, and sometimes she needs to be saved, she does a lot on her own, and works on becoming independent. The series as a whole is a bit of a whirlwind, but this book itself is pretty good. It gets a little creepy towards the end (if you've read it, you know exactly what I am talking about), but if you overlook that, things are pretty good. Jace is not in particular my cup of tea, but he wasn't too terrible, and I grew to love him later in the series.
Really, I thought this book was good. It was interesting, and kept me wanting to read more. In my opinion, the characters weren't the best, but they weren't so bad that they ruined things. However, people tend to either love or hate this series, so I think anybody with even a remote interest in this book should give it a swing to see what they think.
Three Point Five out of Five stars
See this review and more at my blog! http://themessengerreviews.blogspot.com/2014/03/city-of-bones-mortal-instruments... ( )
  TheMessengerReviews | Nov 23, 2014 |
Clary Frey gets thrown into a world of demons, magic, and murder when her mother is kidnapped from her home. She soon learns startling and some disturbing things about herself and the new friends who helped her.

I wanted to like this book, I continued to read it because I wanted to like it and the series, but I just don't. I read the entire thing, there was some humorous parts, the usual teen angst, love, betrayal, all that, but the story line was kind of slow for me, and the plot twist at the end...that you do not see coming, left me feeling a bit disturbed. It reminded me of the Connolly books by Charlaine Harris, if you know what I mean. The world just wasn't real for me, maybe because I am not a teenager. I don't know, but I won't read the rest of the series....just doesn't seem worth it. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Book 1 of the Mortal Instruments Series

While at a club with her friends, Clary Fray witnesses what she thinks is a murder. Clary follows 3 teenagers chasing another teenager into a room. There she sees the three kill the other teenager. The three explain to Clary it’s kinda hard to have a murder without a body. The dead teenager disappears. When her friend Simon and club security show up the three teenagers disappear leaving Clary confused about what she actually witnessed.
The next night after having a fight with her mother she takes off to a local coffee shop with Simon. Suddenly she sees one of the teenagers from the night before. She rushes outside and finds him in the alley. He tells her that he and his friends Alec and Isabell are “Shadowhunters”. He explains that she should not even be able to see them. As Clary is trying to wrap her mind around what Alec is telling her she receives a frantic phone call from her mother. She tells Clary not to come home and to go to Simon’s house. She races back to her apartment to find her mother missing and she also finds herself not alone.
"It was crouched against the floor, a long, scaled creature with a cluster of flat black eyes set dead center in the front of its domed skull. Something like a cross between an alligator and a centipede, it had a thick, flat snout and a barbed tail that whipped menacingly from side to side. Multiple legs bunched underneath it as it readied itself to spring."
Clary soon discovers that her mother has been keeping secrets from her. She even went so far as to have someone block certain memories from her. No one seems to be able to help her retrieve those memories. She soon learns that her mother has been taken captive by the evil Valentine, The only way to save her mother is to find something called “The Mortal Cup”. Along the way she will have to fight demons, vampires and werewolves. She will also learn who she can truly trust and who she can’t.
The story starts off a little slow but does pick up as the story progresses. It ends with a really good twist that makes the reader eager for more. ( )
  KathyWoodall | Oct 29, 2014 |
I love this series!! I find the story fun and exciting! I completely fell in love with jace (what girl wouldnt lol). Its a enjoyable read with love, adventure, laughable moments, sad moments and leaves you wanting more and more! ( )
  keli24 | Oct 28, 2014 |
What a heap of garbage. I managed the first chapter, gave up, read the plot summary on Wikipedia, and found out I was right about just about everything that happens (apart from the whole incest thing, but whatever). This is the most cliched nonsense I've read for a long, long time, and that's saying something. The writing was laughable. And the rip-offs are utterly obvious - the whole opening scene reads very similar to many scenes from Buffy. Reading the plot summary, this sounds entirely devoid of any originality (though I can't comment on the specific comparisons to Harry Potter, Star Wars and Bleach that I've heard about because obviously I didn't read the thing). The dialogue was fucking juvenile. I... well, at least it gave me a good laugh!

I MIGHT finish it one day. Maybe. But only when I need something to write a vitriolic review about.
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,992,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible