City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:bookheaven
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, fantasy, series, New York, young adult, kindle, own, 2012

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (2007)

adventure (72) angels (77) cassandra clare (47) demons (263) ebook (44) faerie (69) family (53) fantasy (736) fiction (360) horror (43) magic (129) Mortal Instruments (158) New York (60) New York City (51) own (44) paranormal (165) read (94) romance (145) series (173) shadowhunters (91) supernatural (155) teen (88) to-read (252) urban fantasy (291) vampires (325) warlocks (39) werewolves (234) YA (324) young adult (460) young adult fiction (47)
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (526)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  All languages (537)
Once I started reading it, I had the strangest feeling that I'd read it before, or something very similar. The deeper I got into the book, the clearer it became. This book is a poorly disguised Harry Potter fan fiction piece that somehow impressed somebody and got a book deal.

The description of the main character could hardly be anyone but Ginny Weasley. Jace had many characteristics historical elements that put him parallel to Harry, although not in physical appearance. The most obvious, of these was going to live with his godfather after his father was killed. In my opinion, the villain is a blatant copy; Valentine and Voldomort? Come on, it's BEYOND obvious. A mysterious disappearance where he was thought dead, a desire to purify the blood lines. Sound familiar to anyone?

Now, all that aside, it was a decent book. I prefer Harry Potter, but it was good. The descriptions were increasingly repetitive as the story progressed, for no real reason other than, I'm assuming, a page requirement. I did not like the twist at the end. It made me cringe, especially considering what had happened earlier in the story, and ruined the whole vibe of the book.

Would I read the next in the series? Maybe, if I didn't have anything else to read I would. Would I go out and buy it? Dear God in Heaven, NO! If I want HP fan fiction, I'll go online and read it. I'll borrow the book from a friend, if they have it, but I will not go buy the next one. I don't HAVE to get through the series. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
i enjoyed this book quite a bit. good characters. ( )
  jodiesohl | Jul 12, 2014 |
If you like Harry Potter or Twilight, chances are you will enjoy this series. I find that people either get completely drawn into the world or they can't connect to it at all. The story kicks off pretty quickly, so you'll know where you stand early on. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
While I didn't hate City of Bones - the story did ramp to a satisfying conclusion and some of the early twists in the story were somewhat creative - I felt that it did suffer from a great lack of originality.

The story took elements from many popular franchises - Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, X-men, Star Wars, Hellsing - and threw them together in the hope of creating an original concept. This did not work in any way, causing me to spend more time playing fandom bingo and wishing that I was reading the series that City of Bones was ripping off instead of the novel itself.

The characters of the novel also seemed like washed-out copies of Harry Potter characters (particularly Jace and Clary who were Draco and Ginny, respectively), each having no distinguishing character traits beyond being witty and confident teenagers and being immediately forgettable.

I intend to read City of Ashes at some point but I'm in no real hurry to. The story did not grip me and offered me no reason to want to find out what happens next. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
"They didn't know how lucky they were.They didn't know what it was like to eke out life in a dead world, where the sun hung limp in the sky like a burned cider . Their lives burned as brightly as candle flames- and were as easy to snuff out."

He turned to follow her, tasting the phantom sizzle of death on his lips.

It was always easy. He could already feel the power of evaporating life coursing through his veins like fire.

"That's not a person, little girl It may look like a person and talk like a person and maybe even bleed like a person. But it's a monster"

I loved this even more then I remembered ! ( )
  amym53 | Jul 5, 2014 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,530,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible