City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:bookheaven
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, fantasy, series, New York, young adult, kindle, own, 2012

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (702)  Spanish (6)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All (717)
I read this several years ago. My daughter read it and gave it to me to read... she's right, I do like it...still. ( )
  shadowdancer | Jun 22, 2017 |
This books was great. I love fantasy adventure stories. Vampires. Werewolves. Warlocks. Demons. Awesome.

The characters are easy to get attached too and I love being able to see everyone point of view. There is so much to follow and so many different things it just makes the story really great. All the details and twists and turns. It's the making of an epic story.

I really want this to be made into a movie. Like really really badly. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
The City of Bones is a very well-written book and Cassandra Clare packs a lot of action into one book.

The characters are well developed and I enjoyed developing and learning with Clary. However, I wasn't a big fan of the main character. There were some parts which I believed didn't seem right in the sense of her reaction to finding out what Jace is and his world, I felt like she accepted it too easily.

I gave this book 3 stars simply because it was a lot to get through. There was so much information and detail crammed in I just didn't feel that into it. Personally, I don't want to continue on with the series but I definitely think you should give this book a go before making your mind up about not reading it.

I would recommend this book for people around 11-15 as the writing is simple but not boring and the storyline is easy to follow once you've got your head around new terminology and information. ( )
  LydiaS16 | Jun 20, 2017 |
7/8/2016
This was actually so much better as a re-read, I already knew pretty much everything that was going to happen thanks to the movie and the tv show, but somehow I finally started appreciating the writing style and the characters because I went into it already knowing the world? If that makes sense. Now I am determined to read everything Cassandra Clare has ever written, I'm just not so happy because I am very late to the party.
Alec was my favourite. And Magnus. The ending made me so happy. So so happy. I love them so much.

3/6/2014
meh. to be honest i liked the movie more ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
Having re-visited the book since high school, the simple writing was a pleasure to read after a semester's worth of heavy academic work. The story itself resonates Harry Potter at the beginning, with a little star wars mixed in. All in all, it was a good, quick read - not too heavy, but with enough substance in plot and characters to keep my interest. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
trash about Shadowhunters
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,199,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible