City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:favpinf
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Recently added bySheWolf29, lamotamant, private library, DobbyHasWings, Lyali, imahorcrux, Kayleebob, Glire, wolfeyluvr
    City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (670)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (683)
This book was dreadful. I don't think I actually read more than a chapter at a time; I became a champion skimmer for this thing.

imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Rating 2.5

The movie ruined this book for me. Completely ruined it! I think I would have enjoyed this book much more if I had not watched the movie. Though this book has explored everything in more depth than the move, I still had a general idea of what was coming next, which led to a forced reading experience. The book is nearly 500 pages, and without a continued guessing game, it felt slow when it reality it had a steady pace. It's hard for me to judge this book. Reading experience wise, I'd rate it a two at best, but this is just because the movie ruined it for me. It muddles my feelings.

So, I'm just going to talk about how the new-to-me parts made me react. Cassandra Clare has a knack for imagining alternate worlds. She clearly has the world of the shadow hunters mapped out in her head, and it transferred well onto the pages. I could see everything clearly and had to wonder where she got some of her ideas. A flying motorcycle might not be too out side of the box, but she had it powered by demon something which was effected in daylight. Very interesting. I loved what happened to Simon at Magnus Bane's party and the aftermath of that event.

The mood throughout the book was anxious. The characters are trying to find Clary's mom and then the immortal cup throughout the whole book, but they keep having to face one thing after the next, never quite settled.

As far as the characters go, Jace is quite enjoyable with his constant, flirtatious banter. I'm sure why Clare likes him though. I get that he's hot and funny, but why? I would have liked to get in her head. Jace did help her on several occasions though, so I think they had a protector/damsel type relationship, though Clare is not really a damsel. I wouldn't call her kick butt, but she's not lazy or weak.

Simon, OMG, when he hoped out of the van and vanquished a demon . . . loved that!

I did laugh a few times during this book, but I didn't cry. However, I remember crying a lot in the movie, and the book had those same elements, so I'm sure I would have if I hadn't known what was coming. I take emotional response seriously because it's a genuine reflection of how the book made me feel. This one didn't evoke hardly any, and though I liked the characters, the plot felt drawn out and dull. But again, I really thing everything negative was due to seeing the movie first. The writing was smooth and even beautiful in some places. The characters all served a purpose, and the ending was satisfying.

Overall, I'm hopeful that I will enjoy the next books in the series more. I here it really takes off after book 3, so I'll be crossing my fingers until then. ( )
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
I’ve heard so much about this series, so was definitely excited when my friend loaned me the first three books.

The story jumps right into the action as Clary and her friend Simon head into a club, running into the other three main characters, Jace, Alec, and Isabel. I instantly spot the personality stereotypes and while Jace is often funny and I liked his personality, he just never does it for me as a lead love interest. Simon is more impressive in that department as the ignored friend. I’m intrigued with Alec and his hidden interests in Jace. Isabel is a turn-off with her abrasive attitude. Clary is a decent enough heroine, the story being told mainly through her viewpoint, although nothing stands out about her much. I loved the magician Magnus! The villain is intriguing too and I’m curious what’s going on with Clary and her real connections.

I could tell from the first few chapters the story was heading into some kind of twist in the end. When it arrived I wasn’t too surprised and had predicted some of it. Still, it helps to form a promising start to a series that has strong potential on where it can go if done right.

There’s always something going on, even if the pace is not lightning fast, and there is plenty of ‘think time’. Fortunately there is not much angst, but the slight potential of a love triangle may loom. The book could have been better with a slightly shorter length, as I don’t think it holds enough story for the over 400 page count.

As a young adult, it works well establishing an interesting world of vampires, demons, magicians, and shape shifters. The young group bonds with a type of system that appeals to their age but works in a world filled with dangers.

Cassandra Claire writes well with action scenes and excellent dialogue, but some of the similes and descriptive phrases fall short. The chemistry of the two mains is obviously to be the heart of the story, but frankly I hold little stock in their bond. I don’t feel the chemistry myself and care more about the side characters and how they interact with the protagonists.

It definitely ends on some twists (some expected, some not), and I was anxious to read the next book so I could find out where the story would continue with the villain and his plan mingling with the world building and how this will affect the main character’s lives. I love the consistent adoration of reading and books too!

Overall it’s not spellbinding, but it’s a good, intriguing set-up for a series.
  Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I liked this book, but I thought it was pretty predictable. Am I the only one who wasn't surprised at all by the plot "twists"? ( )
  Krild13 | Jun 10, 2016 |
City of Bones
3 Stars

Strong world building but the teenage sniping and romantic angst illustrates once again why I dislike reading YA (I had enough of this nonsense in high school and I have no wish to relive it in my reading).

None of the characters are particularly likable, and there is a complete lack of camaraderie between the so-called protagonists. What should come across as friendly teasing and ribbing is actually harsh and cold, and the derogatory comments are delivered not softly with a hint of humor but with scorn and a tinge of malice. There is also an unappealing elitist and prejudiced undercurrent in their words and behavior that makes it difficult to identify with them.

That said, Clary turns out to be a courageous heroine and the gradual buildup of her relationship with Jace is very appealing. Jace, however, can be an obnoxious jerk although he does have his intriguing moments of vulnerability and some slight romantic hero potential, but he isn't quite there yet.

The plot is engaging and the basic premise of a villain with a racist ideology in search of a cup that can help him build an army is compelling, if unoriginal. Moreover, the main antagonist, while despicable, does not have that all encompassing, menacing and world destroying evil that characterizes other works of epic fantasy. Clare's writing also lacks the creativity, foreshadowing, intertextuality and language construction of these stories, i.e. Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, and Harry Potter.

On a final note, the Star Wars inspired twist at the end turns the book into a soap opera. Unfortunately, I have a very unhealthy addiction to soaps (they are like watching a train wreck - you just can't help yourself) and now I'm going to have to continue to find out if this travesty is going in the direction I think it is.

Narration: Ari Graynor's narration is not the best - even those characters who are adults sound like snotty teens. I've learned that subsequent books have a different narrator so I will probably listen to the next one as well. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,720,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible