City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:favpinf
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (2007)

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (546)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  Dutch (3)  Piratical (1)  All languages (558)
What a heap of garbage. I managed the first chapter, gave up, read the plot summary on Wikipedia, and found out I was right about just about everything that happens (apart from the whole incest thing, but whatever). This is the most cliched nonsense I've read for a long, long time, and that's saying something. The writing was laughable. And the rip-offs are utterly obvious - the whole opening scene reads very similar to many scenes from Buffy. Reading the plot summary, this sounds entirely devoid of any originality (though I can't comment on the specific comparisons to Harry Potter, Star Wars and Bleach that I've heard about because obviously I didn't read the thing). The dialogue was fucking juvenile. I... well, at least it gave me a good laugh!

I MIGHT finish it one day. Maybe. But only when I need something to write a vitriolic review about.
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

I am very eager to see where this series goes. I love that it is set in NYC and I know every place they mention!

I really like that Clary is so independent and not looking for a boy to complete her. Sure a bit of romance is there but her world doesn't revolve around it.

I was a little annoyed that nobody guessed the truth until near the end. I felt it was pretty obvious from the moment you figure out who Clary's mother is who her father must be. Other than that it was an awesome read! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
I think my problem with this book was not, as many others people have stated, the borrowing from other works. Let's be honest, there are no original ideas anymore. I thought she had a strong original concept, I just felt there was no follow through. Clare refuses to commit to the mythology she is setting up. She relies very heavily on Judeo/Christian mythology with angels, nephilim (technically products of sex between angels and humans, not drinking from a cup), and churches. She allows Jace to make a passing reference to "other faiths" and "non-belief", but in reality she fails to connect things to any other religion. What about the Hindu deities who have been fighting demons since before Jews started talking about angels? What about Islam and Zoroastrianism? Maybe she delves deeper in the sequels, but I am probably not going to both with them anytime soon. The story ends up being so focused on Jace and Clary's relationship that the rest of the world is left as a mere sketch.

In addition, I am bored with the whole "teenagers save the world without any adult help and specifically save it from the terrible adults in their world". I am also even more tired of "teenage girl is strong, but only after a boy awakens her to said strength and then they fall in love." Regardless of the dynamic and reality of the relationship between Clary and Jace, this is what this really is. Jace, more than any other character, annoyed me as the stereotypical "I don't like anything, I rely on me, but I love you" rebel.

Aside from this it was an easy read and not the worst thing I have read. I still give it three stars because it didn't waste my time. Also, the book was so much better than the movie. WTF with the movie? ( )
  librarygurl | Oct 6, 2014 |

librarygurl | Oct 6, 2014 |
Meh. I can't stand the writing most of the time and the sorry but I couldn't stop reading it and I bought the next one. ( )
  lushrain | Sep 29, 2014 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible