City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by…

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) (edition 2008)

by Cassandra Clare

Member:favpinf
Title:City of Bones (Mortal Instruments)
Authors:Cassandra Clare
Info:Margaret K. McElderry Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare (jemsbookblog)
    Tithe by Holly Black (wegc)
    wegc: Both Tithe and City of Bones are about a girl who discovers she is part of a hidden supernatural world full of rivalries and danger.
    The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Lots of action, richly described alt. world setting, and Nick and Jace are similarly attractive bad boys
    The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: If you like strong, determined female leads with hidden depths, plenty of action, adventure and intrigue....
    The Demon Trappers: Forsaken by Jana Oliver (SunnySD)
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (HatsForMice)
    HatsForMice: Girl pulled into a fantasy world only to discover she's a part of it. Stephanie/Valkyrie is a stronger character than Clary, too. Obviously this is for a slightly younger readership, so if you're in it for the romance, you won't find it here until the 4th book.… (more)
    The Watcher by Lisa Voisin (stevensclare)
    Underfors by Maria Turtschaninoff (julienne_preacher)
    Marked by P. C. Cast (kassyavon)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (MyriadBooks)

English (678)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All (691)
This was alright. The writing was disappointing but the story did pick-up some. I really hate the possible incest-y relationship going on and really hope it was just a ruse by Valentine and that the two kids aren't related. And Clary whines too much. What happened to all of the kick-ass heroines that don't spend all their time complaining about everything and feeling sorry for themselves? It doesn't humanize them and doesn't make them relatable-just annoying. At any rate, I'm sure I'll end up reading the other two because I hate leaving things unfinished unless the books are really terrible. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
City of Bones
3 Stars

Strong world building but the teenage sniping and romantic angst illustrates once again why I dislike reading YA (I had enough of this nonsense in high school and I have no wish to relive it in my reading).

None of the characters are particularly likable, and there is a complete lack of camaraderie between the so-called protagonists. What should come across as friendly teasing and ribbing is actually harsh and cold, and the derogatory comments are delivered not softly with a hint of humor but with scorn and a tinge of malice. There is also an unappealing elitist and prejudiced undercurrent in their words and behavior that makes it difficult to identify with them.

That said, Clary turns out to be a courageous heroine and the gradual buildup of her relationship with Jace is very appealing. Jace, however, can be an obnoxious jerk although he does have his intriguing moments of vulnerability and some slight romantic hero potential, but he isn't quite there yet.

The plot is engaging and the basic premise of a villain with a racist ideology in search of a cup that can help him build an army is compelling, if unoriginal. Moreover, the main antagonist, while despicable, does not have that all encompassing, menacing and world destroying evil that characterizes other works of epic fantasy. Clare's writing also lacks the creativity, foreshadowing, intertextuality and language construction of these stories, i.e. Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, and Harry Potter.

On a final note, the Star Wars inspired twist at the end turns the book into a soap opera. Unfortunately, I have a very unhealthy addiction to soaps (they are like watching a train wreck - you just can't help yourself) and now I'm going to have to continue to find out if this travesty is going in the direction I think it is.

Narration: Ari Graynor's narration is not the best - even those characters who are adults sound like snotty teens. I've learned that subsequent books have a different narrator so I will probably listen to the next one as well. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
So if you haven't read the book, just read this short synopsis: Clary is a normal teenage girl until one day her life becomes not so normal. Her mom gets kidnapped, she starts seeing things no one else can see, and she finds herself in the company of some really hot demon hunters. Crazy drama happens. Lots of battles. A little bit of romance. SOME CRAZY TWISTS THAT YOU WILL NOT SEE COMING. A WTF???? twist at the end that will leave you NEEDING the next book like right.now. One of the biggest things I LOVED about this book that is different from other books is the perspective in which it is written. If this book was like other books, it would be solely from Clary's point of view. Taking it back to English class, we know when we have an unreliable narrator, we only get the story from their side and things may not be exactly how they went down. Cassandra Clare wrote this as an all knowing narrator so that we get EVERYONE's POV (well those she wants us to know). It really helps the story come together as a whole and you feel like you are really getting the big picture. I really enjoyed this part of it.

If you'd like to read my full review, check out my blog:
https://bumblebeebooks.wordpress.com/2016/07/21/city-of-bones-by-cassandra-clare/> ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
On the fence with this book. It was just ok. I like the idea of shadow hunters, just would prefer the characters be older. The plot, storyline, and characters were decently developed. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
I did enjoy this on some level, but there were too many times when I knew where she was borrowing her ideas from. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |

Clare, Cassandraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graynor, AriNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have not slept.

Between the acting of a dreadful thing

And the first motion, all the interim is

Like a phantasm, or a hideous dream:

The genius and the mortal instruments

Are then in council; and the state of man,

Like to a little kingdom, suffers then

The nature of an insurrection.

- William Shakespeare,
Julius Caesar
I sung of Chaos and Eternal Night,

Taught by the heav'nly Muse to venture down

The dark decent, and up to reascend. . .

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Facilis descensus Averni:

Noctes antque dies patet atri ianua Ditis.

Sed grandium revocare superasque evadere ad auras;

Hoc opus, hic labor, est.

- Virgil, The Aeneid
The descent beckons

as the ascent beckoned.

- William Carlos Williams, The Descent
For my grandfather
"You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive chest.
"Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt," she told him.
"I can't help it. I use my rapier wit to hide my inner pain."
"Your pain will be outer soon if you don't get out of traffic. Are you trying to get run over by a cab?"
"Don't be ridiculous," he said. "We could never get a cab that easily in this neighborhood."
"Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked."
"If you were half as funny as you think you are, you'd be twice as funny as you are now."
"Jesus!" Luke exclaimed.
"Actually, it's just me," said Simon. "Although I've been told the resemblance is startling."
"Unfortunately", said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing."

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Addiction-causing
Trash about Shadowhunters
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Suddenly able to see demons and the Darkhunters who are dedicated to returning them to their own dimension, fifteen-year-old Clary Fray is drawn into this bizarre world when her mother disappears and Clary herself is almost killed by a monster.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,797,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible