Whisper to Me of Love by Shirlee Busbee

Whisper to Me of Love (1991)

by Shirlee Busbee

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All (6)
This was a great read. I was so proud of the story line. There was no flaws in the way it was created. it caught me from page one. I was ready to dive right in. Hope to read more by this author soon. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
WHISPER TO ME OF LOVE by Shirlee Busbee is an interesting historical romance set in Regency England. It is written with vivid descriptions and with engaging characters. Follow Morgan Fowler and Royce Manchester on a journey of discovery as they learn long keep secret and villainy concerning Morgan. A fast paced story of love,villainy,secrets,betrayal,privilege and power of British Regency. A must read that will have you holding your breath as Morgan and Royce find love,romance,passion,danger,and reveal a long kept secret.Can a raven haired beauty go from pick pocket to heiress? When events change and she gets caught picking Royce’s pocket,she and her brothers learn what it is like to have someone to care. A delicious read with a scandal or two. It will leave you wanting more from this author. Ms. Busbee is a wonderful storyteller. If you enjoy secrets,British villainy,Regency romance,and twists and turns you will enjoy “Whisper To Me Of Love”. Received for an honest review from the publisher. Details can be found at Zebra Books,published by Kensington Publishing Corp,the author’s website,and My Book Addiction and More.

RATING:4.5

HEAT RATING: Mild: Mild detailed scenes of intimacy,mild violence or profanity

REVIEWED BY: AprilR, My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | Jun 13, 2012 |
For full review including excerpt and dialogue highlights, please visit Reader's Edyn.

Review:

So I threw in a bit more morsels for all of you to enjoy than I usually do within the excerpt and highlight. I did so because Whisper To Me Of Love is a bit longer then the average novel length. Seems to me that the average length is somewhere between 380 and 420 pages based on my own observations. But this book gives you cake and some icing to go with it at 554 pages. Weeeee! And the best part was that I didn’t feel that the book stuttered at any point. Sometimes book tend to drag out – not so this book. In any case, I felt that with the added content, you could share in a little extra love for this book. The cover of this book has a quote saying basically that this book contains everything that you read a romance for. Well, I couldn’t agree more. So let’s get started.

Royce is an American, kicking it in England for a bit. He is very well off and has family within the ton. So basically, he is eligible, sought after, and very much in demand. But lately Royce has felt a bit bored with life within the ton. He is considering cutting his trip short to return home when he literally grasps the hand of a crook attempting to pick his pocket. Royce is cornered into reforming the filthy thief and soon discovers him to be a her. Well, the game changed from that moment on. And Royce finds himself entertaining the most delicious fantasies with Pip as the star. But more to the point, Royce has some suspicions as to Pip’s true identity, but he’ll have to protect her from those who intend her harm before he can prove who she truly is.

Pip is a rather talented thief. She and her two brothers are quite handy for the one-eyed man, who frequently sets them to particular targets to steal from. And the one-eyed man is pretty ticked off with Royce. Every time he turns around the blasted American is thwarting his plans. And when Royce ends up with Pip, he has a lot of work ahead of him if he is to carry out the plans he has had for Pip since the day of her birth. For Pip is truly Morgana. No, not a spoiler. The reader will pretty much guess very early on at Pip’s true identity, so I am not giving anything away here.

I enjoyed this book so much! The transformation in Pip from street urchin to Morgana was a joy to “watch” unfold. And how can you not love Royce, the brooding American who constantly castigates himself for his rutting tendencies. That was priceless. The chemistry between both characters was phenomenal. And of course, they had a long way to make it to HEA. I cannot tell you how much I prefer the HEA to face conflict prior to achieving it. The story is frequently enhanced in so many ways when the characters have to work toward attaining their one great love. My only issue is toward the end of the book. There are a lot of secondary characters in one location and they all seem to just melt away. The reader is left to assume their reasons for being where they are and then there is no reaction from any of them when a death occurs. I found that odd. I just dislike unanswered questions.

What I really want to know is why, for Pete sake, why, have I not read Ms. Busbee before. I have to tell you that I have found some truly entertaining authors since I started reviewing and cannot believe how much I used to limit myself without even knowing it. I had my favorite authors and I stuck with them – end of story. My best piece of advice that I can give to all of you is this: DO! NOT! LIMIT! YOURSELF! You have no idea the injustice that you are committing on yourself. Get out there and break outside of your bow. Explore the writing of new authors. Maybe you won’t enjoy them all, but when you come to that terrific book that you would have missed otherwise, it will all be worth it! And on the heels of that advice, I strongly recommend that you read Ms. Busbee if you have yet to experience the joy her HR has brought to me. So hop to it! Get this book, give it a try, and get ready to fall in love in the best way possible for a reader of romance.

(ARC Paperback received from Kensington for review) ( )
  GzNKz4evr | Feb 10, 2012 |
So-so romance, fairly forgettable. The characters' attraction to each other was somehow less believable than in other, better historical romances. ( )
  glade1 | Apr 28, 2011 |
Lady Hester Devlin, the Dowager Countess of St. Audries, was dying.

From Publisher's Weekly via Amazon:

Busbee ( Midnight Masquerade ) tries to fill this quart-size romance of Regency England with a pint-size plot, most of it predictable. The tale repeatedly bogs down in the uninspired ruminations of the hero and heroine as they rehash what's going on around them. And a dreary "one-eyed" villain also doesn't enliven the action any. Royce Manchester, an American in London, doesn't know the reason for the Earl of St. Audries's ill-repute, but when Royce nabs Pip, a pickpocket who tried to rob him at a boxing match, he notes in passing the youth's strong resemblance to the arrogant earl. Prodded by a kind-hearted companion, Royce reluctantly agrees to give a job to Pip, who turns out to be a beautiful young woman named Morgana Fowler. However, the thief Morgana answered to, a shadowy man who knows her true parentage, plots to regain control of her. Royce, infatuated with Morgana, extends his protection to the young woman and soon makes her his mistress, bringing him into direct conflict with a murderer whose influence extends from England's sewers to its most fashionable drawing rooms.
Copyright 1991 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Royce Manchester catches a pickpocket in the act and discovers that the boy is actually a woman, Morgana Fowler, an unlikely circumstance that leads to an unexpected, although undeniable, passion between the two.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,220,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible