Up from Slavery: An Autobiography by Booker…

Up from Slavery: An Autobiography (original 1901; edition 2009)

by Booker Washington

1,699None4,211 (3.86)29
Member:markusnenadovus
Title:Up from Slavery: An Autobiography
Authors:Booker Washington
Info:Transaction Large Print (2009), Paperback, 425 pages
Collections:READ, Your library
Tags:autobiographical, slavery, african american authors

Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington (1901)

The Life of Josiah Henson: Formerly a Slave, Now an Inhabitant of Canada by Josiah Henson (HistReader)
    HistReader: Both former slaves erect establishments which advance their race: Henson, a city with industry and schools; and Washington, a learning institution which was well respected. As well, both men went on to attend, as esteemed guests, events which had not been graced with the representation of non-Whites. Henson, the World's Fair in London; Washington, the Atlanta Exposition.… (more)
    The Souls of Black Folk by W. E. B. Du Bois (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Black history, American History, Black political thought.

The most influential spokesman for blacks at beginning of 20th. Inculturation of A middle class achievement ideals. ( )
  clifforddham | Feb 3, 2014 |
Booker T. Washington was born into slavery in 1856. He lived as a slave until the end of the civil war in 1865, when his family was freed. He was determined to learn how to read and managed to obtain an education at the Hampton Institute, Virginia. A strong advocate of the importance of education for the black race. Apparently there were tensions between this approach and the more confrontational tone of many others in the black political community, but this is not something that is mentioned specifically in the book. Washington stressed the importance of learning a trade to become an integrated and valued member of society, and worked as an educator for most of his life, heading the Tuskegee Institute, Alabama, from 1881 until his death in 1915. ( )
  ohernaes | Jul 14, 2013 |
Obviously written for a specific audience: wealthy, altruistic white people who would help fund Tuskeegee. A great man, a a great idea in its historic time. Should be read along with his contemporaries who presented a more explicit view of slavery in the colonies and later the US, economically founded by that institution. ( )
  Elpaca | May 1, 2013 |
This book caught my eye because the high school I went to was named for Mr Washington, I'm so glad it did. I loved the chance to learn more about the man and to get a glimpse inside his character. It's a book I know I will wander through again and again. ( )
1 vote VirginiaGill | Nov 6, 2012 |
Very interesting and well-written. Booker T. Washington quickly became one of my favorite historical figures as I read this autobiography, and he certainly has my respect. I would've liked to meet him.

But this book has made me curious about several things, rather than informing me about them. It seems that Mr. Washington had three wives -- but he never really says much about what happened to any of them. He seems to talk a lot about lots of things, and yet, I don't feel quite as if I know much about him. I guess I'll have to do some more research. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Sep 28, 2012 |

Booker T. Washingtonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thrasher, Max Bennettmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Forbes, BartIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gillen, DenverIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This volume is dedicated to my Wife, Mrs. Margaret James Washington And to my Brother, Mr. John H. Washington.
Whose patience, fidelity and hard work have gone far to make the work at Tuskegee successful.
Washington, Margaret James
Washington, John H.
I was born a slave on a plantation in Franklin County, Virginia.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0486287386, Paperback)

Nineteenth-century African American businessman, activist, and educator Booker Taliaferro Washington's Up from Slavery is one of the greatest American autobiographies ever written. Its mantras of black economic empowerment, land ownership, and self-help inspired generations of black leaders, including Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammad, Malcolm X, and Louis Farrakhan. In rags-to-riches fashion, Washington recounts his ascendance from early life as a mulatto slave in Virginia to a 34-year term as president of the influential, agriculturally based Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. From that position, Washington reigned as the most important leader of his people, with slogans like "cast down your buckets," which emphasized vocational merit rather than the academic and political excellence championed by his contemporary rival W.E.B. Du Bois. Though many considered him too accommodating to segregationists, Washington, as he said in his historic "Atlanta Compromise" speech of 1895, believed that "political agitation alone would not save [the Negro]," and that "property, industry, skill, intelligence, and character" would prove necessary to black Americans' success. The potency of his philosophies are alive today in the nationalist and conservative camps that compose the complex quilt of black American society.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:54 -0400)

Born in a Virginia slave hut, Booker T. Washington (1856-1915) rose to become the most influential spokesman for African-Americans of his day. In this eloquently written book, he describes events in a remarkable life that began in bondage and culminated in worldwide recognition for his many accomplishments.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,464,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible