The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore by…

The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore

by Joan Lowery Nixon

It's a YA book so I'm not going to be too critical of it. The premise of the book seemed interesting enough and it sounded suspenseful...and it was to a lesser extent than I had thought. I could figure it out long before it happened. The ending was a little disappointing and Christina more or less shrugged the entire event off. It's not a bad book at all. This author has written 130 YA books and is the only 4 time winner of the Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best Young Adult Mystery. I believe the main problem was I'm not 15 years old. ( )
  Carol420 | Oct 28, 2017 |
I was surprisingly impressed with this one. I don't usually read books like this, but I thought "why not?" I never expected the twist in the middle of the book. It seemed very well thought out. I would definitely reccommend this book to teenage girls looking for a little bit of a thriller, especially if they're new to this type of book. Christina's thoughts and feelings were very well-related to the reader. She wasn't too brave or too scared. Christina was realistically put together, and it certainly helped that she seemed to have a sharp mind. I enjoyed this book, and it was a very quick read for me. ( )
  emrefner | Aug 21, 2011 |
The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore is a pretty good book but it got boring at some parts. Unlike some other books its not as visual as i thought it would be.
  elpi0913 | Feb 1, 2011 |
Reagan Kaufman
EDCI 5120—Dr. Rush
Summer 2008

Nixon, J.L. (1979). The kidnapping of Christina Lattimore. Orlando: Harcourt.

Grade Level: 6-8 grades
Category: Mystery
Read-Alouds: pp. 15-20 (no to money); pp. 45-50 (kidnapped); pp. 102-120 (set-up); pp. 185-192 (Lorna); pp, 290-303 (conclusion).

Summary: Christina Lattimore seems to have an ideal family. Her dad is a preacher, mom is beautiful, and grandma is in oil and all that implies. Despite what her life looks like from the outside, Christina is fed up with her family when they refuse to fund a school trip to France. Shortly after a feud, Christina is kidnapped, or is she? Victim or criminal? You decide.
Themes: Common mystery conflict of man v. man is displayed in the novel as one seeks to decipher hidden clues and foreshadowing to identify the villain. In addition to the obvious, I think there are larger themes of dysfunctional families, hidden agendas, and coming of age. Overall, I do not think “deep” discussions would necessarily come from this book but it would be an enjoyable way to teach literary elements.
Discussion Questions:
• Why is the facade of perfection in the Lattimore family paramount to the story? How do you see Cristabel, Dad, Mom, and Christina try to uphold their part of the façade?
• Early on Christina questions what is important. In the end, how does she answer this question and how does her answer show her growth as a character?
• In what ways is the author’s use of foreshadowing and suggestion effective?

Reader Response: This is one of those books that my mom bought for me in middle school that I thought was lame, never read, and subsequently gave away. When I noticed a cousin reading it recently and heard her rave reviews of it, I decided to overcome my old bias and give it a try. I’m a sucker for a good murder mystery. I think Nixon’s novel was pretty good. As an adult with experience looking for clues, I did find some of the writing and thoughts simplistic but overall, it was an exciting page turner. I would not use this for a whole class discussion. It would be a fun read for literature circles but I did not find themes to be deep or overly significant so I think the focus on reading groups would more need to stem from a lesson on literary elements. This novel would work well as a precursor to reading more difficult novels in a similar genre, such as Agatha Christie’s And then there were none. ( )
  Kaufman1221 | Jul 7, 2008 |
Christina begs her family to let her travel to Europe with her junior class. Shortly after her request is denied she is kidnapped by someone she recognizes and overhears her kidnappers devise an elaborate plan to divide the ransom. Once she is released she uses her wits to convince her family that she is not the mastermind and find the real villain. The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore is a suspenseful read to get reluctant readers hooked into a good mystery. ( )
  d_jones | Mar 8, 2008 |
I don't like the way he's looking at me. It's a kind of creepy look as though the two of us shared some kind of secret, and it's making me uncomfortable.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152050310, Paperback)

She spots the masked man in the dark, lonely parking lot--but too late. Grabbed and drugged, Christina is kidnapped and held for ransom. When her family pays, she thinks her ordeal is over. But then she realizes that her family thinks she planned the kidnapping! How will Christina prove her innocence?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:12 -0400)

A teenage girl is kidnapped, but when freed, is accused of masterminding the scheme to extort money from her wealthy grandmother.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,625,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible