Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute by…

Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute

by Jarrett J. Krosoczka

2502045,873 (3.66)3

Wouldn't you like a laptop disguised as a lunch tray? ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 7, 2014 |
The first book in a humorous and adventurous series about a lunch lady and her life outside the school lunch room. Children should find this easier graphic novel appealing and entertaining. The artwork is simple yet effective. ( )
  bouchk | Mar 17, 2014 |
I liked this book because it instills in readers a sense of imagination. Even though it is for a more advanced primary level, the plot includes a fictional story about something that broadens the reader’s scope of plot lines and brings them into a fun, engaging fantasy world where school meets superheroes. The story is about a lunch lady who fights crime and an evil “cyborg” substitute. This is very relatable to students, seeing as the setting is in a school, and allows them to easily picture themselves as one of the main characters. The illustrations are extremely engaging as it is set up in a comic strip style. Each page includes either small bits of scenes or an entire two-page spread of dramatic action. Either way, the imagery allows for readers to feel like they are part of an action-packed story fighting along side the main characters. Additionally, not a lot of academic language is used, making this book reader friendly for more students. It is seen more as a fun way to read than most, which could invite students in who are not as apt at reading. The central message of the story is that good always prevails over evil. ( )
  Sulick1 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Silly but entertaining, could be good for reluctant readers. ( )
  CelenaM511 | Dec 4, 2013 |
June 2012 Cover to Cover selection (3rd-5th book club).

I picked this for book club before I read it (our summer reading them is Reading is So Delicious!) and after I read it, I was really worried that we wouldn't have anything to talk about. Turns out that was not the case and both groups had great discussions. Part of that may have been that because there wasn't a whole lot to talk about from the book, the questions focused more on things like what kind of gadgets the kids would have if they were secret spies. We'll see how next month goes when we actually have more book-centered, thought provoking questions. This was super easy for most of my going-into-5th graders, but just about right for most of my just-starting-3rd graders.

The book itself was fine for what it is - an amusing spy romp with lots of fun and punny gadgets. The panels are nicely varied and effective. The use of the yellow color to contrast with the black, white and grays is also well done. This is a great read-alike for kids who like the Babymouse and Squish, Super Amoeba books and also good for those who might not be quite old enough for Diary of a Wimpy Kid. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
The art style is simple, as though a child could draw it, which belies the skill on display in storytelling and pacing.

Serving justice . . . and lunch!

Hector, Terrence, and Dee have always wondered about their school lunch lady. What does she do when she isn’t dishing out the daily special? Where does she live? Does she have a lot of cats at home? Little do they know, Lunch Lady doesn’t just serve sloppy joes—she serves justice! Whatever danger lies ahead, it’s no match for LUNCH LADY!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:05 -0400)

The school lunch lady is a secret crime fighter who uncovers an evil plot to replace all the popular teachers with robots.

Jarrett J. Krosoczka is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Jarrett J. Krosoczka chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 17, 2009 to Aug 28, 2009. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,541,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible