House by Frank Peretti

House (2006)

by Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker (Author)

The Wishmonger (Wishful Book 1) by Mark R. Morris Jr (Markrmorris2)
    Markrmorris2: The Wishmonger is written in the style of Peretti and Dekker.
    Creepers by David Morrell (bookymouse)

The only way out is in!

I've always been into horror but this is my first with regard to Christian Horror. I didn't even know that this was a sub genre that existed and yet, here I am!

Who knew that the perfect scene out of the horror movie you just watch would be the start of a killer's game? A bit cliched, almost like the shower scene in almost every horror. Driving down the road as night begins to fall and of course things just don't feel right. Some how things are contrived to have two couples end up at what looks like a bed and breakfast from the outside. Walk in and everything is perfect, hot food on the table, ice cold drinks on the sideboard. Just wonderful but is it really?

Soon the two couples find themselves being tested, around every corner a new personal fear that they must face. All throughout the story there is a lone child. She brings with her a sense of peace that is both unnerving and calming at the same time.

At no point did I actually feel a connection to any of the characters. I can't say that there was any one person that I really wanted to succeed, I didn't grow fond of anyone. I did expect more from this story and I was left rather disappointed.

Maybe next time! ( )
  reemsf | May 8, 2018 |
House takes place in the backwoods of Alabama, down a dirt road where only inbreds are really known to reside. When Jack and Stephanie, en route to a marriage counseling session in order to save their failing marriage, take a wrong turn, they quickly find themselves victims of sabotage. Abandoning their care, they walk to the nearest place, an old, rustic inn, where they encounter Randy and Leslie. The four of them soon find themselves caught up in a tale of horror that is best compared to a B-rated horror movie.

I really, really wanted to love this book. It’s no secret that I have a fondness for psychological thrillers and the supernatural, but I was actually hoping for something a bit more on the realistic side of the spectrum. Without going into too much detail, I will admit that the resolution for this story probably could have been reached without adding elements of the paranormal. Of course, House is marketed as a supernatural thriller, so its tendency toward the fantastic is expected, even if it does lean a bit on the side of ridiculous.

This book is yet another title with largely flawed and unlovable characters – the sort that are stereotypical for this genre. It’s very easy to imagine characters like Jack, Stephanie, Randy, and Leslie in a movie like Saw because they are, ultimately, a cookie cutter image of horror movie victims. There simply wasn’t much in the way of originality at all.

One of the reasons I absolutely love haunted house/hotel stories is because I like to see the story that has been woven to explain why the locale plays host to the dead. What information we’re given about the house that our quartet encounter is vague. As a result, upon the conclusion of the story, there’s still a few questions left hanging in the air.

At best, this book was meh. As I stated previously, its tale plays out more like a cheesy horror flick than anything truly thrilling. I listened to the audiobook version, and for that reason alone I almost dropped it. The book is narrated by Kevin King, and as a listener with a voice fetish for lack of better words, I found his voice to be extremely grating. I’m glad the audiobook is over and for those who are sensitive to the way certain narrators sound, I recommend simply picking up the book or checking it out at your local library. ( )
  agrimscythe | Mar 20, 2018 |
I wish I had never given this novel a chance. I don't even know how I managed to finish it. There was so much wrong with the story that I don't even know where to start. The characters were terribly developed and played a stereotypical role. There was the hot-headed man, and the rational man, and two women who were meant to act like complete idiots, with no shred of independence. I think what bothered me the most was how the women were depicted in this novel. The authors used one character's "psyche" and showed that underneath it all "[she] was a whore". That enraged me to no end. Why does she have to be portrayed in that way? Is that all a woman is meant to be in a horror story? And how dare you use psychology in that way? So, every rational and logical woman who works in the field of psychiatry actually has sexual issues and is a depraved whore on the inside?! Oh, and the other woman is the one who has to take the heat for a failed marriage and a family tragedy? And on top of it, she needs to be completely useless?! To make matters worse, the story kept going around in circles, and there was the sudden introduction of another character, who I actually liked and I wish she had had more to her character. And then this story becomes all about sin and goodness and the battle between darkness and light. And now it is suddenly a Christian story. Now, I had not known that the authors write Christian fiction, and to be quite honest, I don't necessarily care because I will read anything and everything and have no bias towards it. But seriously?! It just took an already ridiculous story to a whole new level of crazy. And not in a good way. I could go on and on about every single thing that I disliked about this novel, but I don't want to waste any more time or energy on it. Just ... don't read it. Seriously. Don't read it. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
Josh
  LoBiancoBuzzard | Apr 4, 2017 |
oh man! This was creepy, scary, and awesome. A serial murderer traps 4 people in a house. He is either a demon or demon possessed and his House Rule is that they must kill one of their group to let the others live. There is also a little girl[an angel?] and some inbreds. It ends up being about their souls and hearts. I liked it a lot. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Peretti, FrankAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dekker, TedAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
The light came into the darkness, and the darkness did not understand it.

My heart holds all secrets; my heart tells no lies.
Prologue
He stood motionless in the entryway, staring at his own shadow splayed before him like a stain upon the floor.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159554156X, Paperback)

A mind-bending supernatural thriller from the creators of This Present Darkness and Saint.

Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker—two of the most acclaimed writers of supernatural thrillers—have joined forces for the first time to craft a story unlike any you've ever read. Enter House—where you'll find yourself thrown into a killer's deadly game in which the only way to win is to lose . . . and the only way out is in.

The stakes of the game become clear when a tin can is tossed into the house with rules scrawled on it. Rules that only a madman—or worse—could have written. Rules that make no sense yet must be followed.

One game. Seven players. Three rules. Game ends at dawn.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Two stranded couples find shelter in an inn but find themselves trapped in a game with rules setting up a life-or-death situation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,840,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible