Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros

Yours Until Dawn (edition 2004)

by Teresa Medeiros

Member:MissMac
Title:Yours Until Dawn
Authors:Teresa Medeiros
Info:Avon (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Period romance

Yours Until Dawn by Teresa Medeiros

So, this book wasn't too bad. I'm honestly not going to pretend that I read this book for any other reason other than to put me to sleep during a stressful time at uni. Desperate times call for desperate measures. But, let's see.

Gratuitously attractive, tortured male meets gratuitously attractive girl. Circumstances keep them apart for whatever reason, something happens, they're together.

... That's a bit harsh. This book was actually alright. The writing could've been a lot worse, the characterisation was a little bit limp but there was a nice little twist at the end. I cringed at some lines, but some lines were interesting.

I liked the female character, Samantha, she was pretty sassy. The most interesting part of this book was the fact that the male protagonist, Gabriel, is blind, so it's interesting to see him deal with that.
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
"The Dreaded Plot Twist"

Yours Until Dawn suffers from an age old problem in genre related fiction, although not usually in the romance genre, thrillers and mystery novels on the other hand ... the dreaded plot twist. Where the author expends almost all of the their energy to create a great jaw-dropping plot twist, and it must be jaw-dropping, it must take the reader completely by surprise. And it will not be revealed until the last 50 or so pages of the novel. And they succeed - it is a plot twist...that no reader could possibly predict, mainly because it doesn't make a lot of sense and the writer had to jump through hoops to make it work, in some cases not all destroy characters, and often jump outside the realm of logic. So the reader as result is left sputtering in rage and disbelief.

Don't do this writers! Seriously, the plot twist is not worth it. You can write a perfectly wonderful book without a plot twist. Trust me, it can be done. Plot twists are actually quite hard to pull off. Few people do it well. Actually I'm having troubles thinking of any books that have recently...maybe Henry James Turn of the Screw? Or Dauphne Du Maurie's Rebecca - but those were mystery novels. It's easier to do in the mystery genre.

The best plot twists - can be predicted by a reader, but are so good the reader is thrilled that they figured it out and can't wait for it to happen. Most if not all plot twists are done using an unreliable narrator. We're in the point of view of someone who is either clueless or in denial or doesn't have all the information. The plot twists when we change points of view. Example of this approach is the movie The Sixth Sense. Or when information is revealed to the protagonist - such as the scene in Empire Strikes Back where Darth Vader reveals he's Luke's father. And a good plot twist works regardless of whether or not you've figured it out ahead of time.

In Yours Until Dawn this is unfortunately not the case - while I did figure out the plot twist ahead of time partly because I was aware there was one - from reading reviews on Good Reads and Amazon, I didn't think it made sense and tried to come up with another possibility, but no that was the only scenario that halfway worked. So when it was revealed, I wasn't surprised, nor was I was happy about it. Sort of hoped I was wrong and it was something else. (That is not the reaction you want when doing a plot twist, you don't want the reader to be disappointed and wish it was something else.) Medeiros in her attempt to ensure the reader didn't figure out the plot twist - inserts a lot of red herrings or character related tid-bits to mislead you but they also make you think - okay, this can't be work because well it makes no logical sense and if we ignore logic and it is the twist, then dang, the heroine is a complete nit-wit and not all that likable or sympathetic. Also, in order for the plot twist to come out, and for the hero to find out about it - the writer had to change the hero's circumstances in a rather cliche and somewhat abrupt manner. In short the story became about THE PLOT TWIST.

Shame. Because the writer could have made the plot twist work - either by letting the reader in on it or by placing the entire story in just one point of view. But no, she wanted her cake and eat it too and as a result it ruined a perfectly good story.

cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Really good historical romance that maintained my interest throughout especially the exciting ending. Gabriel is wounded in battle losing his sight. Samantha hires on as his nurse. Stories about people dealing with their handicap are so heart-warming.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
3.5/5 stars

I have an interesting history with Theresa Medeiros. Okay. That's a total lie. I have a history of 2.5-3.5 starred books with Theresa Medeiros, even when they come incredibly highly recommended. This is just another such example.

To set the stage, the Earl of Sheffield (Gabriel) used to be Super Handsome but he joined the Navy to prove his worth to the woman he loved and was subsequently disfigured and blinded in the Battle of Trafalgar. After being brought home, something of a hero, he is spurned by his lady love when she visits him at the hospital during his recovery, or so he thinks.

Enter Samantha Wickersham, nurse extraordinaire. Gabriel's butler and housekeeper have been trying, with very little luck, to hire a nurse to help him acclimate to his new existence of being blind. To say that things haven't gone swimmingly is an understatement. Three nurses have tried and failed, either giving up or being run off by a very temperamental disabled Earl. He refuses to make allowances for his newfound circumstances, and chooses instead to be an utter beast about it.

In case I'm not making it clear, this novel is, in essentials, a Beauty & the Beast retelling with a twist. There's no magic curse, merely a war wound. And there's no crazy father, just some big secrets. But all the other elements are present.

I can't say what it is precisely that never pushes Medeiros' writing from "like" to "love" for me, but I think a lot of it tries and fails in her love scenes. They're a little too floral and sweet for my tastes. Not that I need things to be erotic (because erotica often is too floral and bizarre for my tastes). But I would much rather call a clit a clit and a dick a dick and be done with it. None of these swords of passions, or nubbins of ecstasy. But that tends to be a YMMV situation.

And if the rest of the novel was inspiring enough, I don't think the sex scenes would bother me too much, but by the end of this novel I, quite honestly, was a little perturbed by the relationship. I think I might be alone in this. But the entire relationship was built on a fraud, and once that fraud was discovered, the subsequent defraudings were all sort of forgiven under the blanket of, "I thought lying to you and having you fall in love with me under false pretenses was a good idea???? I DIDN'T MEAN FOR IT TO HAPPEN????"

At the end of the day, that's just not one of those tropes I like to shrug off. I would rather the Big Misunderstanding to happen 3/5's of the way through so the back 40% of the book can be spent taking care of business instead of the back 5% being devoted to clearing up a misunderstanding that isn't even revealed until the back 10%. If the Big Misunderstanding had been anything other than what it was (to be vague enough not to ruin the book for anyone) I think I could've forgiven the timing. But as it was, it's a lovely book. I certainly wouldn't tell anyone not to read it. It just didn't quite live up to my expectations. ( )
  dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
I loved this book!! The story was engaging and heartbreaking at the same time!! Nice amount of steam to keep ya warm! Definitelt a favorite! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Who ever loved, that loved not at first sight?
--Christopher Marlowe
To my Michael, one of my greatest blessings is waking up to your sweet face every morning.

To my very own Axis of Angels -- you know who you are...

To all of the Angels of Mercy at Western State Nursing Facility. May God bless you for all you do to take care of my mom.

And for my sweet Lord, who healed the lame and made the blind to see.
"So tell me, Miss Wickersham, have you any experience?"

Gabriel Fairchild's valor during battle earns him the reputation of hero, but costs him both his sight and his hope for the future. Abandoned by the fiancee he adored, the man who once walked like a prince among London's elite secludes himself in his family's mansion, cursing his way through dark days and darker nights. Prim nurse Samantha Wickersham arrives at Fairchild Park to find her new charge behaving more like a beast than a man. Determined to do her duty, she engages the arrogant earl in a battle of both wit and wills. Although he claims she doesn't possess an ounce of womanly softness, she can feel his heart racing at her slightest touch. As Samantha begins to let the light back into Gabriel's life and his heart, they both discover that some secrets -- and some pleasures -- are best explored in the dark...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060513659, Mass Market Paperback)

Gabriel Fairchild's valor during battle earns him the reputation of hero, but costs him both his sight and his hope for the future. Abandoned by the fiancée he adored, the man who once walked like a prince among London's elite secludes himself in his family's mansion, cursing his way through dark days and darker nights.

Prim nurse Samantha Wickersham arrives at Fairchild Park to find her new charge behaving more like a beast than a man. Determined to do her duty, she engages the arrogant earl in a battle of both wit and wills. Although he claims she doesn't possess an ounce of womanly softness, she can feel his heart racing at her slightest touch. As Samantha begins to let the light back into Gabriel's life and his heart, they both discover that some secrets -- and some pleasures -- are best explored in the dark ...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:12 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,614,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible