Blue Jasmine by Kashmira Sheth

Blue Jasmine

by Kashmira Sheth

A Step From Heaven by An Na (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Both stories of young girls and immigration: Blue Jasmine's protagonist is from India, and A Step From Heaven's protagonist comes from South Korea.

The main character is new to America and is in shock with the new culture and the differences in the two countries. She has to face many adversities and overcome the stigma of her culture.

This is a great book and I enjoyed reading about a culture that is different from my own. I would suggest this story to any student that does not feel like they fit in. ( )
  kmedwa4950 | Dec 1, 2016 |
This was a lovely, gently written book that explores the ideas of home, and adapting to new environments. Seema is a wonderful main character and the reader quickly becomes fond of and concerned for her and her family. The relationships between members of her family are the strongest part of the book. The details the author provides about the flowers, foods, scents and sights create a vivid and enticing picture of India. The language and phrasing are unique (“the sun set slowly, as if feeling guilty”). This book takes the difficulties of leaving behind the familiar and adapting to the unknown and makes it an uplifting and positive tale.
  ECraine | Jul 11, 2010 |
personal response: I enjoyed the distinction and reflection on the differences between Seema's 2 homes as she tries to reconcile her feelings about both. There were times, however, that I felt the thoughts of Seema and her introspection came off a bit too mature for her age. I appreciate the fact that the author is using her own experiences to build Seema's story, but this comes off unnatural for a 12-year old at times, both with the internal and external dialogue
grades 6-8

curricular connection:

multicultural studies

group reading ( )
  cassiusclay | Jul 7, 2010 |
I wish this character had sounded more like a real twelve-year-old girl. All the kid characters in the story had this problem -- they all sounded much older than their ages, and they all sounded the same. I mean, what twelve-year-old says things like, "Inside our hearts we were feeling the warmth and light of a new friendship"? I think the story would have done better written in the third person.

That said, nine-to-twelves will enjoy this story of a girl transitioning between two cultures. In addition to the typical immigrant problems like learning English, there are also problems in the story like a mean girl at school, and fighting with a cousin, that non-immigrant kids can understand and identify with. I also liked the way colors were used in the story. I get the impression that India is a very colorful place. ( )
  meggyweg | Apr 30, 2010 |
This book, winner of the Paul Zindel First Novel Award, tells the story of a twelve-year-old girl who moves with her family form India to Iowa. Sheth draws parallels between the difficulties Seema has and the problems experienced by one of her classmates, a poor girl who gave Seema a parting gift before she left the country. A family illness brings Seema back to India for a brief visit, forcing her into a reflection upon the concept of home and acceptance of others.

Like many other books, this one deals with the idea of a recent immigrant missing her home country. The component that makes it different, however, is the fact that Seema applies things learned about her life in India to her new life in the United States. She learns how to deal with a bully by recognizing the bully within herself. This book could be used to show readers how to have a fresh start in life. More importantly for recent immigrant children, this story can plant the seeds for self reflection and give them the chance to abandon negative character traits they may have had in their previous home. As a part of a collection dedicated to blending positive characteristics of native and dominant cultures, I think this book has the potential to be an essential work for libraries dealing with immigrant populations. ( )
1 vote cjomalley | Feb 25, 2010 |
"So what if this summer is cooler than last, Seema?"

When twelve-year-old Seema Trivedi learns that she and her family must move from their small Indian town to Iowa City, she realizes she'll have to say good-bye to the purple-jeweled mango trees and sweet-smelling jasmine, to the monsoon rains and the bustling market. More important, she must leave behind her best friend and cousin, Raju. Everything is different in Iowa City, where Seema feels like an outsider to the language and traditions. As she begins to plant roots in the foreign soil, however, her confidence starts to bloom, and she learns she can build a bridge between two homes. With lyrical language and poignant scenes, Kashmira Sheth unearths the meaning of "home" and "family" in this tender debut novel. Kashmira Sheth's own experiences as a teenager who moved by herself from India to America inspired her to write this novel. She is a microbiologist and lives with her family in Madison, Wisconsin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

When twelve-year-old Seema moves to Iowa City with her parents and younger sister, she leaves friends and family behind in her native India but gradually begins to feel at home in her new country.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,586,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible