Nicole by F. Candice Ransom

** spoiler alert ** I bought this book at a pawn shop, for a friend-of-a-friend who's a major Titanic buff. If I hadn't expected it to be laughable, I might be regretting that decision now -- but I'm not! It's as gloriously trashy as I hoped it would be!

However, I have a few dinosaur-sized bones to pick with whomever designed the cover and wrote the back cover summary.

"Aboard ship, two men fall in love with Nicole -- Price, a rich Englishman and Karl, a handsome immigrant. Before she can choose between them, tragedy interrupts Nicole's happiness." No. Nicole did choose, very clearly. Before the book was even halfway over, she chose handsome Hungarian (H)Karl. Stop trying to create romantic tension where there is none.

Then, to add injury to insult, Nicole is pictured locked in a passionate embrace with Price on the bottom corner of the cover illustration. No.

"Nicole can't find Karl or Price in the terrible confusion and she knows there aren't enough lifeboats for everyone."

For the love of sweet fluttering ladybug Jesus, no. She finds Price RIGHT AWAY. He's the one who explains to her why the SHIP IS SINKING. HE SHOVES HER INTO A LIFEBOAT, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

As for the book itself, it's fluffy, with a decided and refreshing lack of purple prose. Nicole and Handsome Hungarian Hunkburger fall in love at first sight, and are declaring their never-ending devotion by their second meeting. It's pretty flighty for a girl whose principal characteristic seems to be "level-headed." Also, frankly, HHH is a pale shade of a character, especially when compared to the easy-going, funny, and kind Price Armsley she rejects.

Also, the ship sinks in the end. ( )
  MsCellophane | Dec 29, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,406,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible