Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner…

The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child (2009)

by Donalyn Miller

I can't wait to start my school year because of this book ( )
  mpettit7974 | Dec 21, 2017 |
Wish I had read this book in 2009 when it first came out. It's every bit as relevant now and validates what many teachers and librarians have known all along. To motivate children to become lifelong readers, they need choice and time to read, not worksheets and test prep. ( )
  DonnaMarieMerritt | Aug 30, 2017 |
As a school librarian this is an inspiring read. If only all teachers shared her philosophy my life would be a breeze!
Seriously there are some fantastic ideas in here for encouraging reading for pleasure and for me it really bought home just how important 'free' reading is to students progress and well being.
Off now to read 'Reading in the wild' ( )
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
I read this about five months ago and forgot to review it, so please forgive me if anything is misspoke.

Miller is one of my mother's favorite educational guru's. In this book, she intersperses personal anecdotes regarding superliterate, illiterate, and aliterate readers with tips and tricks on how to reach each student. I like a lot of her ideas and plan to implement some. I love that she's not a fan of programmed reading (pre-packaged, scripted lessons) but at the same time I fear she teaches *only* a love of reading without teaching any of the dynamics of books, grammar, or vocabulary. ( )
  benuathanasia | Aug 13, 2016 |
Normally I have a hard time liking books that paint things too easily or rosey. Being a reader, I found myself willing to let the message (and not the many missing specifics of her teaching methods) be what I took away. The book arrived in my hands at a time when I've been pushing for more reading within my workplace -a bit of serendipity. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
What we have loved
Others will love
And we will teach them how.
--William Wordsworth
Foreword: Donalyn Miller's voice is one of a real teacher.
Introduction: I am not a reading researcher.
Chapter 1: One of my first memories is of learning to read.

Donalyn Miller says she has yet to meet a child she couldn't turn into a reader. No matter how far behind Miller's students might be when they reach her 6th grade classroom, they end up reading an average of 40 to 50 books a year. Miller's unconventional approach dispenses with drills and worksheets that make reading a chore. Instead, she helps students navigate the world of literature and gives them time to read books they pick out themselves. Her love of books and teaching is both infectious and inspiring. The book includes a dynamite list of recommended "kid lit" that helps parents and teachers find the books that students really like to read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:38 -0400)

Known for her popular blog, "The Book Whisperer," Donalyn Miller says she has yet to meet a child she couldn't turn into a reader. No matter how far behind Miller's students might be when they reach her 6th grade classroom, they end up reading an average of 40 to 50 books a year. She shares her teaching methods and includes a dynamite list of recommended "kid lit" that helps parents and teachers find the books that students really like to read.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,462,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible