The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

English (59)  Dutch (1)  All languages (60)
It seems to pick up some speed by the 60% mark and it improves by the end, but this one felt loooooong and draaaaaging.

If all 500 pages had been compressed into 100, long enough to build the world and get acquainted with the characters and their motivations, and then move on with the story as it seems to be told in book 2 (which I have no intention of reading), it'd have had more sense to me.

Quite a pity, because the blurb held a lot of promise. ( )
  Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |
Very interesting story with little twists along the way. I enjoyed getting to see through the eyes (3 person POV) of different characters who were at different levels in society. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
3.5/5 stars

This was a really great beginning to a series. This book really sets up the world, introduces you to the characters, and gets everything ready for the next book in the series.

I enjoyed the world created and how the politics of court and magic intertwined. I liked the clans and how they were involved as well.

I liked Raisa and Han, but found both infuriating at times - they are 15/16 year olds so I totally get why they were written this way - it was quite realistic, but they still frustrated me.

The writing was quite good. I found that the plot wasn't super action-y, but I still enjoyed the pace and how things were explained.

Overall, I enjoyed this and will continue with this series. ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
This book was fantastic! I mean, the plot isn't altogether original. It's your classic orphan type child who has a mysterious background magic crumbling kingdom on the brink of war a journey ahead with lots of training to be done.

I liked the characters. They were stupid and impulsive, but I liked how they recognize that they are all young and stupid. I love it when young characters don't take themselves too seriously.

This book was a perfect set up. It was enough of a story that it was very engaging, but didn't give away too much information. I don't already have a solid idea of where the story is going to go in book 2. I could see it going in a lot of different directions. That's exciting.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this book doesn't dive into an annoying love triangle. I really don't need that kind of drama in my life.

mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
For my father, Franklin Earl Williams
Han Alister squatted next to the steaming mud spring, praying that the thermal crust would hold his weight.

The first book in an epic fantasy series from debut author Cinda Williams Chima. Adventure, magic, war and ambition conspire to throw together an unlikely group of companions in a struggle to save their world.

When 16-year-old Han Alister and his Clan friend Dancer encounter three underage wizards setting fire to the sacred mountain of Hanalea, he has no idea that this event will precipitate a cascade of disasters that will threaten everything he cares about.

Han takes an amulet from one of the wizards, Micah Bayar, to prevent him from using it against them. Only later does he learn that it has an evil history - it once belonged to the Demon King, the wizard who nearly destroyed the world a millennium ago. And the Bayars will stop at nothing to get it back.

Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana'Marianna, the heir to the Gray Wolf throne of the Fells, has just spent three years of relative freedom with her father's family at Demonai Camp - riding, hunting, and working the famous Clan markets. Now court life in Fellsmarch pinches like a pair of too-small shoes.

Wars are raging to the south, and threaten to spread into the high country. After a long period of quiet, the power of the Wizard Council is once again growing. The people of the Fells are starving and close to rebellion. Now more than ever, there's a need for a strong queen.

But Raisa's mother Queen Marianna is weak and distracted by the handsome Gavan Bayar, High Wizard of the Fells. Raisa wants to be more than an ornament in a glittering cage. She aspires to be like Hanalea-the legendary warrior queen who killed the Demon King and saved the world. With the help of her friend, the cadet Amon Byrne, she navigates the treacherous Gray Wolf Court, hoping she can unravel the conspiracy coalescing around her before it's too late.

Relates the intertwining fates of former street gang leader Han Alister and headstrong Princess Raisa, as Han takes possession of an amulet that once belonged to an evil wizard and Raisa uncovers a conspiracy in the Grey Wolf Court.

Cinda Williams Chima is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,002,580 books! | Top bar: Always visible