Journey To Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda

Journey To Ixtlan (original 1972; edition 1972)

by Carlos Castaneda

Member:jotoyo
Title:Journey To Ixtlan
Authors:Carlos Castaneda
Info:Simon & Schuster (1972), Hardcover
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:nf, VR

Journey To Ixtlan by Carlos Castaneda (1972)

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
I find all of Castaneda’s books unique, fascinating and engrossing, and this one is no exception,

We are told about how Carlos met Juan Matus in a bus station in Arizona, and that this was the start of a ten-year apprenticeship.

Carlos first learns about the importance of erasing one’s personal history since this makes us free from the encumbering thoughts of other people. One can erase personal history by not revealing what one really does, and by leaving everyone who knows one well. A fog will thus be built up around oneself.

It is also important to lose self-importance. In another book it is explained that in order to “dream” we need energy, and self-importance uses much energy, so therefore it is best to rid ourselves of it in order to preserve as much energy as possible.

Carlos also learns that death is our eternal companion and our most important adviser, and is always to our left, at an arm’s length away. Awareness of our impending death helps us to “drop the cursed pettiness that belongs to men that live their lives as if death will never tap them.”

We must take responsibility for all that we do, we must know why we are doing things, no matter what, and then must proceed with our actions without having doubts or remorse about them.

Don Juan seems to be able to read Carlos’s mind and knows about things that happened in his childhood and youth without having been told of them.

Carlos tells Don Juan that they are equals, while in actual fact he feels that as a sophisticated university student he is superior to him, who is an Indian. He is dumbfounded when the latter informs him that they are not equals - “I am a hunter and a warrior, and you are a pimp.”

The world is a mysterious place, especially in the twilight. The wind can follow one, make one tired or even kill one. It is looking for Carlos. Carlos learns about being inaccessible. He has previously made himself too available, especially in his relationship with a particular “blond girl”. One must make sure not to squeeze one’s world out of shape, but instead tap lightly, stay for as long as one needs to, and then swiftly move away leaving hardly a mark.

A hunter should know the routines of his prey and, most importantly, have no routines oneself. Carlos himself eats lunch every single day at twelve o’clock, as Don Juan keeps pointing out.

These are but a few of the topics that Don Juan teaches Carlos about. He also learns about becoming accessible to power, experiences a battle of power and learns about a warrior’s last stand. He learns the gait of power and the tricky art of not-doing.

Finally, he learns about the ring of power and meets a dangerous, “worthy” opponent, a sorceress going by the name of La Catalina.

Towards the end Carlos meets Don Genaro, another powerful sorcerer, and he and Don Juan make Carlos’s car disappear into thin air.

Carlos is sent out into the mountains by himself and “stops the world”. He has a conversation with a coyote who speaks both English and Spanish (!). Carlos sees “the lines of the world”.

We understand that Carlos’ time with Don Juan has come to an end, since it is time for the latter to leave this world. Carlos’ sadness is overwhelming, and so is that of the reader.

This is an amazing book. The information/knowledge presented is fascinating and absorbing. Castaneda presents the information in great, satisfying detail. The book is well-expressed, though the content is difficult to grasp. (Carlos himself makes no secret of the fact that he finds it nigh impossible to understand Don Juan’s “concepts and methods” since “the units of his description were alien and incompatible with those of my own”.)

I am really going to miss reading this author’s works when I’ve got through them all, but luckily I still have many left to read. The “separate reality” portrayed in these books is quite different from our daily reality, so it is an amazing journey for the reader to delve into these books and access this other reality, or world.

I strongly recommend that you read this mind-expanding book! ( )
  IonaS | Jun 1, 2014 |
One of the final books in the series Don Juans lessons have rubbed of on the perceptions and thoughts of Castenda and he relates her his vision and understanding of the alternate reality. ( )
  Phoenixangelfire | Apr 6, 2014 |
All books of Carlos Castaneda are very important to me. He (and his Don Juan), Vadim Zeland - writer from Russia, quantum physicist and Alexey Bachev - an unusual psychologist from Bulgaria, protagonist of my book Life Can Be a Miracle have shaped my way of thinking, perceiving, experiencing the reality. Very grateful for showing me the miraculous way of living!!!! ( )
  ivinela | Dec 10, 2013 |
Reading this after A Seperate Reality was what made this treatment the most satisfying. Further with Don Juan. The Yaqui Shaman is very much a character, introducing Castaneda to local workers, witches and totem spirits. The Native American spirit is superlatively revealed in this jovial search for a oneness with the surrounding universe, while at the same time, figuratively winking at the quest for the unity of mankind. Very Fun Read. ( )
  guhlitz | Feb 16, 2011 |
I know I am a little late to the party, but when I spotted Castaneda's book in a used book store I decided it was an omen. It was about time I read one of these famous books. I'm not sure what to make of the author's journeys into the desert with the sorcerer Don Juan, but I did like Castaneda's straight-forward, nonjudgmental style. I'm not sure what is and is not believable in the story, as some of the more bizarre experiences are truly fantastic. I personally dealt with this by assuming that the human mind can take us many places and there is much we do not know about the spiritual and mystical world. The only distraction was Cataneda's occasional comment of self-deprecation, and these seemed well placed. Nearly 50 years after the initial encounters with Don Juan, it seems that many of the ideas introduced resonant with subsequent literature published in the intervening years. It's fascinating read and I'm glad I finally got to it. ( )
  ArtRodrigues | Aug 1, 2010 |

Carlos Castanedaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lukaz, P.J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I understand you know a great deal about plants, sir, I said to the old Indian in front of me.
On Saturday, May 22, 1971, I went to Sonora, Mexico, to see don Juan Matus, a Yaqui Indian sorcerer, with whom I had been associated since 1961.

Originally drawn to Yaqui Indian spiritual leader don Juan Matus for his knowledge of psychotropic plants, bestselling author Carlos Castaneda immersed himself in the sorcerer’s magical world. Ten years after his first encounter with the shaman, Castaneda examines his field notes and comes to understand what don Juan knew all along—psychotropic plants are merely a means to understanding alternative realities that one cannot fully embrace on one’s own. Journey to Ixtlan introduces these clear new ideas—omitted from Castaneda’s classic volumes The Teachings of Don Juan and A Separate Reality—to the reader for the first time. Castaneda explores, as he comes to experience it himself, his own final voyage into the teachings of don Juan, and shares with us what it is like to truly "stop the world" and perceive reality on his own terms.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:10 -0400)

Drawing from his ten-year apprenticeship in sorcery, the author discusses the philosophy and teachings of his instructor, a Yaqui Indian.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,247,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible