Motel Life by Willy Vlautin

Motel Life (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Willy Vlautin

Member:Tigh
Title:Motel Life
Authors:Willy Vlautin
Info:Berliner Taschenbuch Verl (2010), Paperback
Rating:***1/2

The Motel Life by Willy Vlautin (2006)

Another 5 star book by Vlautin! This was extra special to read because I recently purchased it directly from the author who wrote a great personal inscription! I can't wait to read his next book. In the meantime, I guess I can re-read the others, I bought them all. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Jan 29, 2016 |
I kept waiting for the dog to die. I shouldn't read these all at once. ( )
  RachelGMB | Aug 5, 2015 |
Vlautin liked Bukowski, and even more Carver. If one would like to read something that is a blend of the two, then this might appeal. ( )
  Lasitajs | Feb 1, 2014 |
I picked up this book a while ago and when I've seen the movie trailer for it this year, I figured I would read it before I watch the movie. Eh. This book was so so. The basic premise is a story of two brothers where one accidently hits a kid late at night and kills him. The rest of the book is the brothers trying to figure out how to hide from the authority. The main character is clearly an alcoholic and winds up trying to scrape enough money to help his other brother out.

For the rest of the review, visit my book blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/64456.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Dec 26, 2013 |
This was a good find. Coming to me via the authors other vocation as member and songwriter for the band Richmond Fontaine, I was immediately drawn to the literary side after reading his work described as "gloriously sad". And that it is.

Frank has had some bad luck, more than his share really. When his brother arrives at the motel where he lives with a huge problem, he is compelled to help and so begins the story. The two brothers are all each other has, and have had each others backs since they were young. Their backstory is revealed alongside their current dilema, revealed slowly and calmly in spite of its ghastliness. If you are looking for a feel good story, do not go near this one, but if you are after gritty real life "wrong side of the tracks" stuff, its all here. I didnt feel like I got right inside the main character, but his story was still wonderfully told. ( )
  Ireadthereforeiam | Jun 5, 2013 |

Willy Vlautinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arensman, Dirk-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Chuck Holt
The night it happened I was drunk, almost passed out, and I swear to God a bird came flying through my motel room window.

With "echoes of Of Mice and Men"(The Bookseller, UK), The Motel Life explores the frustrations and failed dreams of two Nevada brothers—on the run after a hit-and-run accident—who, forgotten by society, and short on luck and hope, desperately cling to the edge of modern life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:57 -0400)

Brothers Frank and Jerry Lee are on the run after a hit-and-run accident. Interweaving past and present, Vlautin unfolds the story of their unhappy lives--lives afflicted by drink, bleak economic circumstances, and family misfortune.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,909,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible