Motel Life by Willy Vlautin

Motel Life (original 2006; edition 2010)

by Willy Vlautin

Title:Motel Life
Authors:Willy Vlautin
Info:Berliner Taschenbuch Verl (2010), Paperback

The Motel Life by Willy Vlautin (2006)

Can't rate this - my reaction is too conflicted. See, the thing is, I live in Carson City. I know people like this. I work hard to use more sense than they do, and to distance myself from their drama. I don't need to watch people being stupid enough to be usually drunk and sad, rather than getting their shit together.

And the other thing is, I'm not sure other people do, either. It's as if Vlautin is exploiting these unfortunate folks, just so the literary world can get its kicks. Also, there's a lot in here that just doesn't ring true, and I'm pretty sure the author doesn't really know what it's like to live in this world and not be able to see a way out.

Otoh, it was a kick learning a bit more about our area and seeing it through his eyes. And he does write well. I just think [b:The Outsiders|231804|The Outsiders|S.E. Hinton|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1314327508s/231804.jpg|1426690] and [b:The Basketball Diaries|682745|The Basketball Diaries|Jim Carroll|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1331057236s/682745.jpg|922689] are better.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Another 5 star book by Vlautin! This was extra special to read because I recently purchased it directly from the author who wrote a great personal inscription! I can't wait to read his next book. In the meantime, I guess I can re-read the others, I bought them all. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Jan 29, 2016 |
I kept waiting for the dog to die. I shouldn't read these all at once. ( )
  RachelGMB | Aug 5, 2015 |
Vlautin liked Bukowski, and even more Carver. If one would like to read something that is a blend of the two, then this might appeal. ( )
  Lasitajs | Feb 1, 2014 |
I picked up this book a while ago and when I've seen the movie trailer for it this year, I figured I would read it before I watch the movie. Eh. This book was so so. The basic premise is a story of two brothers where one accidently hits a kid late at night and kills him. The rest of the book is the brothers trying to figure out how to hide from the authority. The main character is clearly an alcoholic and winds up trying to scrape enough money to help his other brother out.

For the rest of the review, visit my book blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/64456.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Dec 26, 2013 |

Willy Vlautinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Arensman, Dirk-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Chuck Holt
The night it happened I was drunk, almost passed out, and I swear to God a bird came flying through my motel room window.

With "echoes of Of Mice and Men"(The Bookseller, UK), The Motel Life explores the frustrations and failed dreams of two Nevada brothers—on the run after a hit-and-run accident—who, forgotten by society, and short on luck and hope, desperately cling to the edge of modern life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:57 -0400)

Brothers Frank and Jerry Lee are on the run after a hit-and-run accident. Interweaving past and present, Vlautin unfolds the story of their unhappy lives--lives afflicted by drink, bleak economic circumstances, and family misfortune.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,758,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible