World of Warcraft: Arthas - Rise of the Lich…

World of Warcraft: Arthas - Rise of the Lich King (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Christie Golden

Member:mashiox
Title:World of Warcraft: Arthas - Rise of the Lich King
Authors:Christie Golden
Info:Pocket Books (2009), Hardcover, 320 pages

World of Warcraft: Arthas: Rise of the Lich King by Christie Golden (2009)

I actually wanted to read this book because I have been fascinated with the story of Arthas, A hero who turned against his people. As such, i was really hoping that this book would provide me with the complete story on what happened to Arthas as he was corrupted by Frostmoure. Instead aside from a few good stories such as the raising of his horse Invincible back from the dead, the book only mimicked what was in the Warcraft 3 game. This left me very much disappointed as I really want to explore period between Arthas getting Frostmoure and his arrival in Lordaeron. I also wanted to read more of how he accomplished the fall of Lordaeron. This book did not really gave me what I was really looking for. I would have given this book 2 stars but i will give it three stars because the beginning of this book was good. I like how the author retold the story of the fall of Stormwind from Arthas' perspective. That retelling was good, complete and entertaining. Sadly, this good aspect of the book did not spill towards the other chapters. ( )
  zen_923 | Jul 31, 2017 |
While reading this book I read through some of the reviews, and saw that there were a lot of complaints about the book. I've played the Warcraft games and World of Warcraft, I thought I knew the entire story of Arthas when I went to read this book and I found that I clearly did not know everything. Even as I read through events I already knew, I found myself learning more about Arthas and how he felt, what he thought.

There were some complaints about how much emphasis the author placed on Arthas's horse, Invincible, to the point where someone even complained that the first thing Arthas did was raise his horse from the grave. Clearly some readers seem to miss understand and not fully comprehend the true bond between a horse and his rider, especially one that Arthas had seen born. There was a bond between them from the first moment, and it devastated Arthas so much that he not only did he cause the downfall of his steed, but failed to save him. Arthas's story is one of a young man finding himself to be only average, of not being able to come to terms with his weaknesses and realise that he had strengths that he just couldn't see. He had the possibility to be a great king of his people, instead his own doubt in his abilities took him down a dark path.

The novel isn't just about Arthas, you also learn a lot more about Sylvanas and Jaina. For those who know their roles in Arthas' life, you will know how painful it was for them - this book only emphasises it tendfold. ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
Title: Arthas: He would do anything to save his kingdom...

Story Summary:
The land of Azeroth. A land still recovering from a war with a strange race known as the the Orcs. The hero's of the last war have become legends in their own time and have had son's and daughters that are destined to become hero's themselves. With the Orc's will broken with the destruction of their portal no other threat has made itself apparent and the kingdoms of the land slowly become complacent to the normal threats of the world.

That is until a surprise attack destroys a fortress that guards the frozen wastes. None survive except the young son the of the castle's lord. Whoever or whatever destroyed the fortress fades back into the wastes and bides it time. Waiting for the right time to show itself again.

During this time the young prince Arthas goes from childhood to adulthood. He has everything that a prince could ask for but, there is always something that is lacking. It always seems that he is not good enough or that something is always in the way of him accomplishing his goals. Despite this Artha's successfully complete's his training to become a paladin and begins the long process of being groomed to be the next king of Lordaeron.

That is until the day that a report comes in about a mysterious sickness that is affecting a remote village. Tasked with finding out more about the sickness Artha's and soldiers set out and soon arrive at the stricken village. Nothing moves except the dead and they are hungry.

This is the beginning of the dark path that Arthas will walk to realize his dark destiny. Every decision he makes from that point on is in service to one ideal: He will do anything he has to do to save his people, even if he has to betray all he ever held dear.

Conclusion:

This is a pretty good adaptation of what is going on in WOW 3 and Wrath of the Lich King. Some of the details may seem a bit rushed but that is because a lot of events and characters are covered in more detail in other books. Arthas himself can be a little one dimensional sometimes but I guess that is to show that he has the belief that he can never be good enough in any situation. Sometimes though you got to wonder how nobody noticed something was seriously wrong with the guy. Still all in all a good read as the story moves at a good pace and the action keeps going as well. Definitely worth a read if our a fan of WOW or just want to learn about the world without playing the game. m.a.c ( )
  cahallmxj | Dec 20, 2015 |
as expected, this book was marvelous. i have always been very partial to the world of warcraft lore surrounding arthas, so i was very pleased to have a book full of it, in detail, from his childhood, to his rise as the lich king. the only thing missing would be the end story, however i of course realize that would be impossible as, 1. at the time this book was written, there was no end story yet, and 2. i guess they kinda want to sucker you in to playing the world of warcraft content. ( )
  nimil | Dec 8, 2013 |
Posted on my blog:

I have played the massively multiplayer role playing game World of Warcraft (WoW) since I was a teenager (thanks to my mom who got me into it, ha) and decided a few months ago that I’d love to learn more about the lore of all the stories that my character has been a part of. There are a whole lot of WoW based books out there, and I wanted to start with one that was decently written, and so I got advice from WoW bloggers who also liked the lore and was pointed towards this one as one good starting book. And now I know all about the big bad Lich King who I never actually got to go kill (took a WoW break just before my guild got him down….).

Title: Arthas: Rise of the Lich King
Author: Christie Golden
Pages: 383 paperback
Genre-ish: Fantasy
Setting: Azeroth, the world that the WoW game takes place in, which is a pretty typical fantasy setting with magic and orcs and dwarves, but it also gets visited by a demon dimension a bit too frequently and has a lot of ornery Old Gods and higher beings always fighting over the mortals, who thankfully have a lot of powerful heroes to defend them :D (and some awesome dragons!).
Premise: Anyone who has played WoW in the last couple of years knows about this group of undead (ie raised skeletons and corpses and icky stuff) that went through and trashed a whole bunch of the world and are controlled by this semi-undead being called the Lich King. This is the story about how a noble paladin named Prince Arthas tried to save his people from a horrible plague and got caught up in his lust for power and turned into the Lich King.

Strengths:

Heroic story, even though you know how it’s going to end… :(
Even though it’s based on a video game, the characters in this world have a whole lot of depth, and so the tragic story of the Prince Arthas really makes sense when you read it, he really did think he was doing the right thing in the beginning
Gives you a nice introduction to a lot of the other lore of the world and background about who other major characters in the world are
Stays very true to the lore and magic rules etc of the games which is fun for a player to read about
Well written given the sort of caliber I would first expect from a book written based on a video game, goes above expectations, which is nice

Weaknesses:

Despite what I wrote above, it isn’t one of the best written books I’ve read, which is understandable, but it took me a while to get through simply because the writing wasn’t that compelling
Given that main character is evil, its kind of hard to get that attached to him, I would love a book written from his friend and once lover’s perspective instead
The book tries to cover all the major events in Arthas’ life, which leads to it getting a bit jumpy at times because there are a lot of them, so the plot doesn’t feel nicely fluid at all and it can be a bit disorienting
I had trouble getting my footing a little bit despite having played the games, so if you haven’t, then the background lore could get a little bit overwhelming

Summary:
Not the easiest book to get through, and I’m going to wait a bit before starting on the next lore book that I got, but I am glad that I decided to start these books. It’s a lot of fun to learn more about the stories in the game that I play, and its made me more excited to get back into the game and stories. I don’t think it would be very much fun for people who don’t play the games, however, simply because it would be hard to keep characters and plots straight without some background knowledge of the events. I mean, I played for six years in these places and experienced these events and I had trouble remembering everything. If you play the game however and have wanted to learn more about the lore, this does seem to be a good place to start (from the perspective of someone who hasn’t read any of the others, ha!).