The velvet glove by Noel Bertram Gerson

The velvet glove

by Noel Bertram Gerson

261415,071 (4)None

I found this treasure at my local library. Each year they have a book sale to raise funds and this year I found and bought this book. It took me awhile to read it – even though it has less than 250 pages – because it is written more like a history book than a story. The writer takes you through the life of Dolly but doesn’t quite do it in a smooth way. His style of writing is more of stating facts surrounded by detail than by weaving a story. Overall I did enjoy the book and learned a lot about Mrs. Madison.

This book introduces us to the inside life of Dolly Madison which includes her family, her character, and her impact on America. By reading about Dolly you also learn about the early years of our country and how the founding fathers impacted the way America was born, how America dealt with other countries, and how our government was established. You also get an inside peek at James Madison, the husband of Dolly.

I would recommend this book to those who love history, who love America, and who love to read biographies. Even for those who are not interested in reading history book style writing, I encourage you to give this book a try; Dolly was an amazing woman and to read this book is to discover her and the way she affected America. ( )
  DecemberJoy | Mar 20, 2011 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible