Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli

Asterios Polyp (2009)

by David Mazzucchelli

863None10,313 (4.18)83
2009 (17) 2010 (9) 2011 (6) academia (8) Architects (6) architecture (36) art (23) BD (10) comic (11) comics (80) Comix (5) divorce (6) ebook (5) fiction (62) graphic (7) graphic novel (184) Graphic Novels/Comics (6) hardcover (9) love (7) marriage (7) philosophy (15) read (15) read in 2009 (6) read in 2010 (8) read in 2011 (8) relationships (10) to-read (23) twins (6) USA (9) wishlist (6)
    Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware (2810michael)
    Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by Apostolos Doxiadis (Serviette)
    Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart (kinsey_m)
    kinsey_m: Both graphic novels have very well-rounded characters and are simultaneously devastating and uplifting.
    BodyWorld by Dash Shaw (kxlly)
    Habibi by Craig Thompson (Percevan)
    The Aviary by Jamie Tanner (FFortuna)
    Get a Life by Philippe Dupuy (FFortuna)
    Everything Matters! by Ron Currie Jr. (FFortuna)
    Batman: Year One by Frank Miller (ACGalaga)
    ACGalaga: Although not written by Mazzucchelli, his artwork alone is always pleasing to look at. It's also one of the 2 must read Batman titles.
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (Percevan)

English (38)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (42)
Wonderful, different than anything I read before. Would've given 5 stars if not for the ending. ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
There are plenty of insightful reviews of this book on Goodreads already, so I won't spend my time trying to craft a new one. I found this a very satisfying read for the characters, the ideas, and the inventive artwork. The story is not as gripping as one might hope, but the other elements more than make up for it. The graphic novel seems to have quite a number of experimental elements still being developed, and I enjoyed David Mazzucchelli's contributions more than most, especially his graphical representation of personality and relationships. These perspectives could not have been featured as effectively in another format, and they're worth appreciating. ( )
  phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
Simply wonderful. Amazingly well-rounded characters, I particularly loved the mechanic's wife/landlady. The drawings are great and do much more than complement the text. An amazing portrait of a succesful architect/university professor, which lets us see what's underneath the surface. Can't recommend it highly enough. ( )
  kinsey_m | Nov 9, 2013 |
This was unbelievable. I was blown away much in the way as I was with Logicomix, yet I was a bit more taken by Mazzucchelli's artistic style. Man, where can I find more graphic novels like this? ( )
  dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
The only way to describe this book is "odd." It has nice drawings. The stories are easy-to-follow, even if they are a little weird. ( )
  eheinlen | Jun 7, 2013 |
LJ Best Graphic Novels 2009: In a masterfully visual relationship drama, Mazzucchelli uses colors, shapes, motifs, graphic techniques, and art styles in inventive ways to drive home the story of an award-winning but name-only architect who painfully rebuilds his own life after he loses home and marriage.

It’s a shame that such an artistically accomplished work doesn’t have a story of the same high quality.

If Mazzucchelli wasn't already considered one of the greatest living cartoonists, he probably should be now. This is a work that demands to be read, re-read, analyzed, and discussed. It's a great example of something that could only be done in comics. The medium is certainly richer for its existence.

This is a book that stands with works by Updike, Roth, and other giants of American literature. It is undoubtedly one of the best novels of the year.
added by stephmo | editThe Stranger, Paul Constant (Aug 25, 2009)

“Asterios Polyp,” which took a decade for Mr. Mazzucchelli to complete, has been well worth the wait. Its ambition jump-starts the future of the graphic novel.

The triumphant return of one of comics’ greatest talents, with an engrossing story of one man’s search for love, meaning, sanity, and perfect architectural proportions. An epic story long awaited, and well worth the wait.

Meet Asterios Polyp: middle-aged, meagerly successful architect and teacher, aesthete and womanizer, whose life is wholly upended when his New York City apartment goes up in flames. In a tenacious daze, he leaves the city and relocates to a small town in the American heartland. But what is this “escape” really about?

As the story unfolds, moving between the present and the past, we begin to understand this confounding yet fascinating character, and how he’s gotten to where he is. And isn’t. And we meet Hana: a sweet, smart, first-generation Japanese American artist with whom he had made a blissful life. But now she’s gone. Did Asterios do something to drive her away? What has happened to her? Is she even alive? All the questions will be answered, eventually.

In the meantime, we are enthralled by Mazzucchelli’s extraordinarily imagined world of brilliantly conceived eccentrics, sharply observed social mores, and deftly depicted asides on everything from design theory to the nature of human perception.

Asterios Polyp
is David Mazzucchelli’s masterpiece: a great American graphic novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:51 -0400)

Asterios Polyp, its arrogant, prickly protagonist, is an award-winning architect who's never built an actual building, and a pedant in the midst of a spiritual crisis. After the structure of his own life falls apart, he runs away to try to rebuild it into something new.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible