Ugly by Constance Briscoe

Uplifting story of a girls' ability to overcome an appalling childhood ( )
  .cris | May 31, 2016 |
The book was magnificent. I read stories like this and wonder why some people bother to have kids. I'm glad that she was able to write her story. ( )
  JerseyGirl21 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Well I finished it last night and in the beginning of the book I thought it would be really hard to read, it was, but not as bad as i thought it would.

I was shocked that a young girl is treated in a hospital has to stay there at least 5 days, nobody visits her and no questions are asked?
The same with the school, she comes at school clearly being beaten up, she even tells them who did it but all they do is think about themselves? weird.
I did think this girl was a fighter, look at the other sisters, they were not as abused as she was but they did every thing for their mother, were scared of her shitless, but this girl was abused terribly but did try to stand up. I hope this witch of a mother will be punished. Someone in a review said this girl was not a fighter, I disagree.
Must say I would love to know what happens next but not so much that I am going to buy the sequel :) ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Ugly by Constance Briscoe is a very chilling true story of child abuse that will thug at the very core of your being and make you stop and ask yourself just how many children are out there going through life with unknown scars like Constance did.

Beaten, abused and scared on a almost daily basis by her Jamiacan born mother, Constance went personally to a childrne home, asking to be admitted just to get away from the daily abuse, but they refuse to accept her.

She was forced to bare the brunt of the sad abuse metted out to her by her own mother, even in her teenage years, but persevere and kept her focused on ehr dream to be a barrister and succeeded against all the odds.

This is a book truly worth reading. ( )
  Bgem | Jun 26, 2012 |
Ugly is a jaw grinding novel. It takes you into the moment of the scenes...It is a very detailed novel which makes it easy to visualize what’s going on. This book is a very well written book on the devastating childhood of a girl 'Constance Briscoe' ( )
  SMG-AMackay | Mar 9, 2011 |

Constance's mother systematically abused her daughter throughout her childhood. Regularly beaten and starved, she tried to get herself taken into care without success and even drank bleach. When she was 13, her mother left her to fend for herself but Constance found the courage to survive and this is her story.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,379,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible