Alex Crosss Trial by James Patterson

Alex Crosss Trial (edition 2010)

by James Patterson

Member:BoekwurmUSA
Title:Alex Crosss Trial
Authors:James Patterson
Info:Arrow (2010), Paperback

Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson

Woah, Mr Patterson. As someone who is reading and enjoying the Alex Cross books in order,I was shocked by this book. A little bit of warning was necessary! This is a book about Alex's great uncle Abraham Cross in the era of the KKK. I think this book needs to be read to understand it fully and this review isnt going to give you much info.
I found it too gripping to put down. I often struggle with books around racism. I find them so difficult to read. I think it's because I often put myself into the story too much and its almost like I can feel the pain and suffering that black people went through. This was one of those types of books for me. Although the story is a little farfetched at times, I was still fully immersed and it meant that I had to finish it to know what happens.
And thats it,
I dont feel like I can write anymore about it. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Aug 12, 2016 |
Oh my. I really wish people would stop recommending gruesome stuff to me. I am not the target audience for this. Nor do I think any thriller-reading bigots will learn anything from it. I have no idea who any of these people are except cardboard role-fillers. I found the short chapters to be jarring - like each was a panel or page in a graphic novel? Boy-oh-boy if this is a cut above most supermarket reads, well, let me say I'm glad I don't buy my books there. Sorry. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
The war has just ended; Equality is still a foreign concept -- especially in the south. Theodore Roosevelt (the President of the USA) has placed an urgent call to Ben Corbett - a prestigious lawyer - summoning him to The White House. The President instructs Corbett to seek the aid of Abraham Cross in his home town of Mississippi, and together, investigate the outbreak of burning and lynching of minorities. When he does arrive, it doesn't take him long to find Cross whom is being escorted by a beautiful young woman, Moody. Moody is Cross' grand daughter and together they show Corbett the true extent of the hate-filled assaults in a once peaceful town. While it does take Ben Corbett a while to accept the truth, he does finally come to realize just how dire the situation is.

The first two pages are about Alex Cross and he is not mentioned again in the entire 380 pages. The book is really about lynching in the South in the early 1900s. There aren't any twists and turns in the plot to keep the reader riveted and the conclusion is absolutely non-climatic. A real disappointment. History buffs may really like it. 2.5 stars. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
James Patterson doesn't disappoint. This was a bit slow getting started but then was a page turner. Great escape reading ( although does make you think) but ends a bit abruptly. ( )
  becka11y2 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Just not any good. It's like Patterson wanted to write a historical story about how blacks were treated in the south, couldn't do it on his own, and wrote it from the pen of Alex Cross (his black main character). Not very good. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
Readers will have to discover the adventure for themselves.
added by Shortride | editBookpage, Joanna Brichetto (Aug 1, 2009)

Detective Alex Cross tells the story of an ancestor, Abraham Cross, and his experiences with lawyer Ben Corbett, recounting one man's pursuit of justice in the face of the resurgence of Ku Klux Klan racism and violence in 1906 Eudora, Mississippi.
added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature Reviews

A good book from one of America's most prolific and loved authors. You can't go wrong with that combination.

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
DiLallo, Richardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Susan, of course
A few months after I hunted a vicious killer named the Tiger halfway around the world, I began to think seriously about a book I had been wanting to write for years.

The Cross family had more than one hero

Alex Cross tells the incredible story - passed down through generations - of an ancestor's courageous fight for freedom.

Separated by time

From his grandmother, Alex Cross has heard the story of his great uncle Abraham and his struggles for survival in the era of the Ku Klux Klan. Now, Alex passes the family tale along to his own children in a novel he's written--a novel called Trial.

Connected by blood

As a lawyer in turn-of-the-century Washington D.C., Ben Corbett represents the toughest cases. Fighting against oppression and racism, he risks his family and his life in the process. When President Roosevelt asks Ben to return to his home town to investigate rumors of the resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan there, he cannot refuse.

United by bravery

When he arrives in Eudora, Mississippi, Ben meets the wise Abraham Cross and his beautiful granddaughter, Moody. Ben enlists their help, and the two Crosses introduce him to the hidden side of the idyllic Southern town. Lynchings have become commonplace and residents of the town's black quarter live in constant fear. Ben aims to break the reign of terror--but the truth of who is really behind it could break his heart. Written in the fearless voice of Detective Alex Cross, Alex Cross's Trial is a gripping story of murder, love, and, above all, bravery.

Detective Alex Cross tells an ancestor's story, in this astonishing account of one man's bold pursuit of justice in the face of racism and violence.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,137,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible