The Random House Book of Poetry for Children

by Jack Prelutsky

Other authors: Arnold Lobel (Illustrator)

Synopsis: This deceptively slender volume contains a treasure-trove of poems. Each page is crammed with verse and illustrations by Caldecott Medalist Arnold Lobel. Everyone's favorite poems are complemented by fresh new voices and organized into such unusual themes as food, the city, spooky poems, and word play.… (more)

There are over 500 poems in this collection of poetry. Well known authors such as Emily Dickinson, Robert Louis Stevenson and Robert Robert Frost have poems included in this collection. The collection is sorted into sections by topic and includes a diverse selection of poetry.
  campbell_m76 | Jul 30, 2020 |
This book has many poems for anything like holidays, with animals part of it and many more. Some examples are The sloth,Growing up,Thanksgiving day and these three are only little to whats in this book. I like this book because it has some cool poems that I like reading. I would use this book in my classroom because its a great book to get students into poems for the first time. I would say that this book would be great for second and third grade. ( )
  Cassandra.k | May 1, 2017 |
Summary
This book offers many different types of poems for children. I found a few that I really enjoyed reading one was called Keep a Poem in Your Pocket, "Keep a picture in your pocket and a poem in your head and you'll never feel lonley at night when you're in bed"(p.226).

Personal Response
I have honestly never been big on poetry, but I enjoyed several of the poems in the book.

Extension Ideas
1. Have the children come up with activities for example; ride a bike, walk the dog.
2. Then play Poetry Charades. ( )
  April03 | Apr 26, 2017 |
Poetry
Review: Poems about everything in life
Critique: This book is great because it has so many different poems in it. Some are funny, and some are serious. ( )
  lbenfield15 | Mar 2, 2017 |
Summary: This book has many rhymes to pick from and also many poem to read. There are more than 500 poems to choose from and a variety of illustrations that children can see in the book.
Personal reaction: This book has good poems that can hinder a child's imagination, and try get them to like reading more poetry. I personally liked the book.
Classroom extension idea:
1.The Sugar Lady is a poem in the book, have the children act it out.
2. The Opposite Two, a poem, have the children explain why they are opposite. ( )
  GiselleNieto | Nov 30, 2016 |
New York Times Book Review
The poems, two-thirds of which were published during the past four decades, are arranged by subject — nature, the four seasons, animals (especially dogs and cats) and other living things, city life, children, home, food, characters, nonsense verse, wordplay, ghosts and other strange creatures, and the unclassifiable.
added by sriches | editNew York Times Book Review

Prelutsky, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lobel, ArnoldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,766,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible