The Random House Book of Poetry for Children…

The Random House Book of Poetry for Children

by Jack Prelutsky

Other authors: Arnold Lobel (Illustrator)

This is a classic book of a whopping 500 poems all collected together in one fantastic book, all of the poems are random and they range from poems about nature, people, and lots of other stuff.

This is a great collection of poems that will have poetry lovers of all ages immersed throughout the whole collections

Have the kids pick their random poems and write them out and decorate around them
  RaymondGraham | Jul 22, 2014 |
This book is filled with poetry and pictures that children will love. There are different themed chapters and plenty of poems in each. This is for all elementary grades.
  Emily_Cobenais | Dec 12, 2012 |
I love "Poetrees!" I really really love to relax and listen to my mommy read poems. There are lots of poems I like, but I like this book because it is SO big and has so many poetrees in it. I also like it because I can tell my mommy I'd like to hear poetrees about kids or food or rain or flowers or birds, and she can usually find just the right poetree in this collection. ( )
  dubbadee | Mar 7, 2012 |
This anthology basically covers the best children's poetry of all time (except for late 80s-90s poems). They have poems in here such as Mother Goose and Lewis Carroll.. All of our favorite poems that we remembered as young children. I loved that fact how it all came together into one book! ( )
  brittneydufrene | Oct 31, 2011 |
I like this poetry book because it contains lots of short poems that are organized by theme so it makes them very easy to pick out and add to lesson without taking a lot of time. I would for sure keep this book in my classroom. It also has very cute simple pictures on some pages.
  klightwi | Apr 12, 2011 |
New York Times Book Review
The poems, two-thirds of which were published during the past four decades, are arranged by subject — nature, the four seasons, animals (especially dogs and cats) and other living things, city life, children, home, food, characters, nonsense verse, wordplay, ghosts and other strange creatures, and the unclassifiable.
added by sriches | editNew York Times Book Review

Prelutsky, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lobel, ArnoldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394850106, Hardcover)

The Random House Book of Poetry for Children was recognized upon its publication in 1983 as an invaluable collection--a modern classic--and it has not since been surpassed. Five hundred poems, selected by poet and anthologist Jack Prelutsky, are divided into broad subject areas such as nature, seasons, living things, children, and home. The poems of Emily Dickinson, Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Frost, Langston Hughes, Nikki Giovanni, and Gwendolyn Brooks populate the book's pages, while Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, Ogden Nash, and Shel Silverstein ensure that the collection delights even the most reluctant readers of rhyme. Playground chants, anonymous rhymes, scary poems, silly verse, and even some sad strains are carefully indexed by title, author, first line, and subject. With illustrations of cheerful, round-faced children and animals on every page, Arnold Lobel (a Caldecott medalist and creator of the Frog and Toad series) unifies the diverse poems to form a satisfying whole; Lobel can draw anything and make it funny--or poignant, if he chooses. This collection, one of the most varied and complete around, will carry any budding poetry lover through childhood and beyond. (Ages 5 to 11.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:45 -0400)

More than 550 poems by American, English, and anonymous authors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible