An Irish Country Christmas: A Novel (Irish…

An Irish Country Christmas: A Novel (Irish Country Books Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Patrick Taylor (Author)

Member:thea-block
Title:An Irish Country Christmas: A Novel (Irish Country Books Book 3)
Authors:Patrick Taylor (Author)
Info:Forge Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, 496 pages
Collections:To read, Your library

An Irish Country Christmas by Patrick Taylor

An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (Sile)
    Sile: Same "Irish Country" series.

Holidays, Reigniting an old acquaintance and Fingal
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Re-read 2018

I've been drawn toward reading books set in Ireland since we're planning a trip there next year. I love this series set in the fictional Ballybucklebo, Northern Ireland. Young Doctor Barry Lafferty is in his second year in the town and a problem he had with a patient during his first comes back to cause him issues. This takes place in an Ireland that is still reeling from The Troubles, and has bits and pieces that cause issues between the Protestants and Catholics in the town. It's a snapshot of a country caught between it's past and all of the changes that the 1960's are bringing to the world. It's one of my favorite series and an auto-buy for me. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Aug 6, 2018 |
In the third installment to the Irish Country series we happily retreat back into Dr. Barry Laverty and Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly lives around the Christmas holiday. As they share the practice that Dr. O’Reilly started their bond is getting stronger. Dr. Laverty hopes that his girlfriend, Patricia, can make it to spend the holiday with him and Dr. O’Reilly rekindles an old flame. Meanwhile the characters in town are a loveable and sometime silly group of Irish folk.

I love this series not only because you don’t have to read it in order but it reminds me of how Ireland feels when you visit it. It is magical, friendly and relaxing. It feels like going home to me. Of course my heritage has a lot of irish in it so it is only natural for me I guess.

Some people complain that the books are getting redundant and have formula but I do not feel that nor would I mind if it was.

The Irish Country stories are a nice cozy and warming stories that feel real to me. They are plausible stories that usually end with a happy ending. I have realized something about happy endings. I use to get bored of them but now I realize I like them more than any other ending. If your life were a book which ending would you like? Not many of us get happy endings and it is what I hope for and if I don’t get it at least I live briefly in a book that does. ( )
  lavenderagate | Jan 24, 2018 |
If you like being immersed in the lives of busy country doctors in Ireland, you might like this book. It is heavy on atmosphere and light on plot, and very definitely a Christmas themed read. I read the large-print hardback (it was the one that turned up on the free-books shelf) and it ran over 800 pages. In paperback it is 600pgs, apparently, even in normal print size, so it is not a short or a fast read, but aside from length, it is probably a fairly light read, with a hint of Irish Gaelic and some recipes, and occasional colloquialisms that fans of Irish culture will enjoy. I found the book tedious after a while and predictable, but it wasn't terrible. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
This was a lovely book to relax into at bedtime. A little too predictable and a bit too much repetition on one topic. Sweet characters. This is the third book in a trilogy. I'm sure I would have gotten more out of it if I had started at the beginning. I think I will try the first one and get some of the background. ( )
  njcur | Jan 24, 2017 |
To Dorothy
Barry Laverty--Doctor Barry Laverty--slammed the door of Brunhilde, his elderly Volkswagen Beetle.
Not to be confused with book by the same name by Alice Taylor.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765320703, Hardcover)

Along with his senior partner, Doctor Fingal Flahertie O’Reilly, Barry has his hands full dealing with seasonal coughs and colds, as well as the occasional medical emergency. To add to the doctors’ worries, competition arrives in the form of a patient-poaching new physician whose quackery threatens the health and well-being of the good people of Ballybucklebo. Can one territory support three hungry doctors? Barry has his doubts.

But the wintry days and nights are not without a few tidings of comfort and joy. Between their hectic medical practice, Rugby Club parties, and the kiddies’ Christmas Pageant, the two doctors still find time to play Santa Claus to a struggling single mother with a sick child and not enough money in the bank. Snow is rare in Ulster, and so are miracles, but that doesn’t mean they never happen. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

Barry Laverty, M.B., is looking forward to his first Christmas in the cozy village of Ballybucklebo, at least until he learns that his sweetheart, Patricia, might not be coming home for the holidays. That unhappy prospect dampens his spirits somewhat, but Barry has little time to dwell on his romantic disappointments. Christmas may be drawing nigh, but there is little peace to be found on earth, especially for a young doctor plying his trade in the emerald hills and glens of rural Ireland. Along with his senior partner, Doctor Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly, Barry has his hands full dealing with seasonal coughs and colds, as well as the occasional medical emergency. To add to the doctors' worries, competition arrives in the form of a patient-poaching new physician whose quackery threatens the health and well-being of the good people of Ballybucklebo. Can one territory support three hungry doctors? Barry has his doubts. But the wintry days and nights are not without a few tidings of comfort and joy. Between their hectic medical practice, Rugby Club parties, and the kiddies' Christmas Pageant, the two doctors still find time to play Santa Claus to a struggling single mother with a sick child and not enough money in the bank. Snow is rare in Ulster, and so are miracles, but that doesn't mean they never happen.--Publisher description (http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0837/2008033808-d.html viewed Dec. 8, 2008)… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,737,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible