My Wicked Marquess by Gaelen Foley

My Wicked Marquess (edition 2009)

by Gaelen Foley

Member:faither
Title:My Wicked Marquess
Authors:Gaelen Foley
Info:Avon (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:**
Tags:romance, regency, spy, series, e-book

My Wicked Marquess by Gaelen Foley

Recently added byRavenX, private library, grapeapril75, Hollie1122, Bugetta, mom2lnb, amyatbooks

Now that Max is back from his mission in europe with his time, he feels its time to settle down, get married and have a family, especially after giving the majority of his life in service to his country. At first he has a list of potential future wives that would suit his needs, that is, until he see's Daphne Starling, and he knows that she will be His. Even though Daphne has recently been jilted, he is drawn to her in a way that even he can't explain to himself. Daphne, has recently nearly been ruined by a past suitor, and she doesn't know what her future holds, until she meets the Marquess of Rotherstone, who is very charming and seductive, and she knows she could easily fall under his spell, and although they share an intimacy she has never known, she just doesn't know if she can trust him, when she knows he is hiding something from her......Since I have been reading the series out of order, I have been wanting to read Max's story, and I was so glad that I did. The only real negative aspect of the story...was that it took a bit to get into the book, but once I did I was really into it, and it was just as fun and enticing as Foley's other works. It was interesting to see Max develop in the story, much more than we see Daphne develop. Max has alot against him, much of which he kinda does to himself a bit, but it was neat to see him change from a sexy but aloof and withdrawn man, to someone that is what Daphne really needs. Another aspect that I really liked was the way Max and Daphne connected, very intense and sensual yet had a perfect balance of excitement and romance to even it all out...a very enjoyable read! ( )
  addictofromance | Feb 28, 2013 |
A so-so start to a new series by best seller Foley. I think I liked the idea of this book better than the actual book. The characters just didn't work for me and there was too much of an info dump giving the history of the group. It just didn't work for me as much as the third book in the series did (although I will probably read the rest of the series since again, it's a good idea). ( )
  faither | Nov 29, 2012 |
aphne just wants to raise funds for her orphanage, visit her friends, and go to the occasional ball. She's not particularly interested in getting married, especially not to a self centered rake who proposes just because they would look so good together! And certainly not to please her harpy of a stepmother who just wants her to move out.

Max Rotherstone was sold to the Order as a boy to pay off his father's gambling debts and insure a dowery for his younger sister. He hated his father for it, but feels that as the new Marquess, it's his duty to restore the family's good name. And he'd really like to have a family, he's even had his solicitor investigating potential brides! While he doesn't like the idea of having to lie to his wife, and hates that he will one day have to send his sons to train with the Order, Max's job as a member of the Order of St. Michael must remain secret. The order of St. Michael was established to fight the Promethians, a group who seeks to unite the world under one power - their power. (Yes, it's very dramatic, go ahead and snicker).

Daphne first sees Max under less than ideal circumstances and she doesn't wish to marry him when he proposes. She hates that her father has agreed to the marriage without consulting her. There are several little tirades along this line, and it really makes her seem selfish. Her father lost a lot of money in the market collapse, and it costs a lot of money to keep Daphne in the latest fashions. Her stepmother is high strung, but to be fair, she was a navy captain's widow who is not entirely comfortable with her new social position and remembers what it was like to be so poor they couldn't afford food. She is terrified of that happening again.

Daphne really does like Max, there's just something off about him, but she does marry him. Poor Max, if he wanted to keep his secret, he shouldn't have married such a smart woman.

Ok, yes, there is a lot to laugh about with the secret societies and what not (there was even an "Oh, Max"/"Oh, Daphne" exchange) but I enjoyed this book. Foley's writing style and her characters had me hooked. The banter between Daphne and Max was great, and I really felt for Max. He truly felt abandoned by his family, sold off, and he wanted to ensure that this would never happen to his children. Daphne's anger at her father was very historically inaccurate, but I guess that's beside the point. The explanations about the Promethians and the Order got a bit long winded, but the idea is pretty cool. The sub-plots have me invested in the outcomes for their friends and the fellow-spy-thought-dead-but-actually-tortured-to-amnesia Drake.

Verdict:
Corny as it may seem, this was an entertaining read and I actually bought the sequel, My Dangerous Duke, right after finishing My Wicked Marquess. It's everything a romance novel is supposed to be - fun, adventurous, and lurv. ( )
  AbundanceofBooks | Jan 21, 2011 |
The characters were very intriguing at the beginning of the novel but the plot was uneven and their development was lacking. The heroine decides to marry the hero much too quickly, especially given all the reservations she expressed not more than a chapter earlier. Much of the plot had this type of uneven timing. Additionally, a large portion of the book was spent setting up the series. It felt like we had chapters that didn't feature the hero or heroine in order to set up the next few books. I'm getting more and more frustrated with authors who "dump" the entire series content in the first book, hurting the pacing and the enjoyment of future books if you start with one later in the series.

Overall a decent read but a lot of plot and character holes that frustrated me. I'm glad I picked this up on PaperbackSwap instead of buying it, I'll probably do the same with the next one (and hope for a better outcome). ( )
  reesa00 | Nov 21, 2010 |
After spending the better part of his life working for the convert Order against an evil organization intend on ruling the world, the Marquess of Rotherstone is ready to rejoin the civilian world. He believes the best way to overcome his notorious reputation is to marry a well respected lady of proper breeding. He soon settles on Daphne as his choice and persuades her father to give him her hand. However, the harder task proves to be winning Daphne's agreement to marriage while protecting his secrets. The secrets stand as a barrier between them until she discover them and involves herself in the Order's affairs. The ending leads into the next title in the series. ( )
  mlorio | Oct 23, 2010 |
Dear Lord Rotherstone, If you are reading this, then I must welcome you gladly back to London after your long and perilous journeys.

"To restore family honor the Marquess of Rotherstone faces his most dangerous mission--finding the perfect bride. To London's aristocracy, the Inferno Club is a scandalous society of men no proper young lady would acknowledge. But though they are publicly notorious for pursuing all manner of debauchery, in private they are warriors who would do anything to protect king and country. The Marquess of Rotherstone has decided it's time to restore the family's good name. But as a member of the Inferno Club, he knows there is only one way to redeem himself in Society's eyes: marry a lady of impeccable beauty and breeding, whose reputation is, above all, spotless. Someone quite unlike Daphne Starling. True, she's temptingly lovely, but a jilted suitor has nearly ruined her reputation. Still, Max cannot resist her allure--or the challenge of proving London's gossips wrong. He would do anything to win her hand-- and show that even a wicked marquess can make a perfect husband"--Publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,448,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible