The Dead of Winter (John Madden Mysteries)…

The Dead of Winter (John Madden Mysteries) (edition 2010)

by Rennie Airth

Member:Marshrat
Title:The Dead of Winter (John Madden Mysteries)
Authors:Rennie Airth
Info:Penguin Books (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Library Book

The Dead of Winter by Rennie Airth

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
I love the John Madden series. In this one we've skipped ahead about 20 years since the last one. World War II is winding down. It's November 1944 when the book opens. The actions takes place in London and also near John Madden's home in Surrey. John is a happy man. He's happily married to his doctor wife Helen and their two children are grown. Rob is serving on a British merchant seaman and Lucy is working with the army in London. On the cold, black streets of London a particularly ruthless killer is wreaking havoc. John gets drawn in when his young Polish Land girl is brutally married on a London street. John just can't let it go, so he starts digging while working with his former co-workers in the CID. The clues lead the team to wartime Paris, and other European cities as this nasty killer's crimes start to be discovered. There's lots of tension and Rennie Airth's characters are very well-drawn I highly recommend this series. ( )
  Romonko | Jun 20, 2016 |
Too slow moving, hard to finish. ( )
  velopunk | Jan 3, 2015 |
This is the third John Madden historical mystery, set in England near the end of World War II. The first two books established a pattern that this book also follows. A murder victim is discovered and as the investigation goes on, the author shows other characters who will play into the resolution even if there's no obvious reason how or why. In the first book, we saw the killer's pov; in the next two, the killer's identity becomes known early on. This isn't a traditional mystery as much as a look at crime detection at the time, how the local police and Scotland Yard handled unusual criminals whose motives aren't clear. And as with the other books, it's the characters that make the story worth reading. I enjoyed it a lot, but not as much as the first two because of that pattern. Things fell into place as I was expecting and therefore, there weren't any surprises or real suspense this time, despite how well the book is written. And there is a wonderful woman cop who gets a chance to help out the detective squad at the Yard, and I'd love to see a book featuring her. ( )
  ShellyS | Jul 27, 2014 |
The Dead of Winter was a pick for my mystery book club, and it is the first book that I have read by Airth. Airth does a good job at creating World War II England providing the reader with the experience of this war torn country. During one of the blackouts, a young woman is murdered. Rosa's murder probably wouldn't receive much attention except for the fact that her employer is none other than former police investigator John Madden. Madden refuses to let the case go, and several other police officers become just as involved in solving this crime which ends up leading to an international criminal. Other than Madden, my favorite character was Lily, a young woman beginning her career as a detective. Airth does a good job with character development and the reader gets a real feel for all of the characters and their relationships to each other both personal and professional. The mystery was very good and kept the reader guessing. Overall this was a great read, and I would like to read Madden's other adventures. ( )
  Sable677 | Jun 28, 2012 |
This is the third book in Airth's John Madden series but the first one that I have read. I don't think that one needed to read the first two to understand the third - it seemed to stand on its own.

When I first started this book, I really enjoyed it. It seemed to be an interesting mystery. However, about half way through the book, the identity of the murderer had been determined, as well as why the murders took place. The only thing left for the second half of the book was to actually catch the murderer. To me, having this take the entire second half of the book was too long to keep my interest. ( )
  rretzler | Sep 3, 2011 |
"The Dead of Winter" is a first-rate story. Let's hope that this John Madden stays in the game.

[W]ell worth reading, and rereading, whenever we’re engaged in war.

For Jonathan Randal
Dusk was falling by the time Maurice Sobel reached Neuilly, and he walked the short distance from the Metro to his house in the cold, not quite earthly light of the blue-painted street lamps which were the city's sole concession to the war that was about to engulf it.

"[Rennie Airth's] meticulously detailed procedural mysteries are beautifully written . . . well worth reading, and rereading."
-Marilyn Stasio, The New York Times Book Review

On a freezing London night in 1944, Rosa Novak is brutally murdered during a blackout. Scotland Yard suspects the young Polish refugee was the victim of a random act of violence and might have dropped the case if former police investigator John Madden hadn't been her employer. Madden feels he owes it to Rosa to find her killer and pushes the investigation, uncovering her connection to a murdered Parisian furrier, a member of the Resistance, and a stolen cache of diamonds.

Delivering the atmospheric writing and compelling characters that have already established Rennie Airth as a master of suspense as well as style, this long-awaited third installment in the John Madden series is historical crime writing at its best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:51 -0400)

The murder of a young Polish girl in wartime London puts John Madden on the trail of a ruthless hired killer.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,108,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible