Swallowing Grandma by Kate Long

Swallowing Grandma

by Kate Long

I thought the title very tempting, so when I picked it up from the english meetup last week I thought I'd give it a try before I release it at the haydn cinema. I took it on my vaccation with me and I wasn't disappointed:
It was one of those books I couldn't put down. I read it in a single day, though in fairness it might have had to do with the fact that I was on holiday.
Difficult family relationships make for good reading I always thought. For the first few chapters I thought the book was set earlier in the 20th century. Only after the internet and contemporary TV made their appearance I realised my mistake. Considering her history I thought that Kat managed very well. I had my suspicions about two things, both of which turned out to be only half right. I like it when a story is a bit unpredictable but at the same time not too unbelievable.
  verenka | Jun 15, 2010 |
Took a while to get into but ended up enjoying it. Interesting (realistic?) relationship between grandma and granddaughter. ( )
  Freshfields | Mar 21, 2010 |
I enjoyed this very much indeed; the publisher's marketing department is doing the author no favours by trying to jacket it in with the girlie books. This is a sharp, incisive story of a fat, spotty misfit forced to live with her utterly poisonous, completely unpleasant, and entirely believable grandmother, with some eating disorders and almost-incest thrown in for good measure. ( )
  phoebesmum | Aug 31, 2009 |
I read it under the American title of "Family Sold Seperately."
I liked it, although I found it very slow for the story to get started. Actually, I am glad that I finished it, as for about 1/3 of the story, it was exceeding (and surprisingly) depressing.

Story: a young, very overweight woman lives with her Grandmother , Poll as her father died, and mother fled. Her grandmother is verbally (physical abuse is hinted at) and she has a really awful life.

The novel is about a search for family and self. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. ( )
  coolmama | Feb 23, 2009 |
I really enjoyed The Bad Mother's Handbook, the first book by Kate Long and Swallowing Grandma is set out in a similar style. Although I enjoyed this one too I felt the ending was a bit disappointing. ( )
  celticstar | Apr 12, 2007 |

'Swallowing Grandma' traces the struggles of 18-year-old Katherine as she attempts to break free from her demanding grandmother and discover the truth about her dead father and absent mother.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,133,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible