Getting Even by Sarah Rayner

Getting Even

by Sarah Rayner

A special thank you to St. Martin's Griffin and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

GETTING EVEN by Sarah Rayner— a yummy chick-lit, where revenge has never been so wickedly delicious and scandalous! You will need a keep a score card to keep up with who is outsmarting, backstabbing, (or sleeping) with whom.

Things are brewing at the London Ad agency and if you have ever been involved in office politics, the volume is turned up full blast. Orianna and Ivy are longtime coworkers, where Orianna is quietly dating her superior, Dan. Ivy is having an extramarital affair with the firm's financial director, Russell. Dan and Ivy's personal trainer, Rob, has a crush on Dan. There are also many other secondary characters to spice up the sexy action, plotting, and drama, as well. (Rob, Cassie, Ursula, Leon, Chloe, and more.)

Ok, Ivy is jealous of Orianna, since she got a promotion among other things, Ivy sets out to get revenge on Orianna, getting a number of other people involved in her little scheme. However, Ivy has some secrets in her closet (no punt intended), which may come back to bite her.

Getting Even gives new meaning to the phrase, “Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!” A yummy, sexy, clever, and intriguing chick-lit, keeping you laughing until the delicious ending, where everyone has some tricks up their sleeves, and cards yet to be played! (loved the banter of emails at the end).

If you have not read Sarah Rayner, highly recommend, as she has a way of developing characters -- so bloody delicious and entertaining! She can make you cry and laugh. I became a fan after reading, The Other Half and One Moment, One Morning, and look forward to reading the other ones I missed along the way, and more to come!

Fans of Emily Giffin, Jennifer Weiner, and Emily Liebert will appreciate the London’s gal sense of female humor; with devious revenge, jealousy, backstabbing, and a little bonding. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer (at least no dead bodies here). Hey, if you don't have enemies, it's because no one thinks you're significant enough to worry about.

Read it, to get some pointers on your next office revenge!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
This is one book where maybe it could have been better but I found all of the characters uninteresting and the story line moved slowly so this did not help any. Although I thought that Orianna was a way better friend than Ivy was. Orianna was really thinking of Ivy and not wanting to hurt her. Yet, all Ivy could see is green for envy. It is no wonder that everyone did not like her. I did try to stick this book out. Yet after about a third of the way into the book. I found myself giving up and skimming parts of it until I got to about two chapters to the ending. Even after reading the ending I was like ok I saw this coming. On to the next book. ( )
  Cherylk | Nov 24, 2014 |
This was the first book I’ve read by Sarah Rayner. If you enjoy a revenge theme you will like this book. It’s a good blend of enough chick-lit, romance and retaliation story lines to keep you turning the pages.

The main character’s best friend betrays her, there is an affair going on that will influence office politics and a woman scorned who is after blood. Working in an office setting I can see how the inter personal relationships and jealousy can play an active part in your day-to-day relationships. This book captures all of those dynamics and you’ll be in for a satisfactory ending.

Grab a glass of wine and enjoy!

(Photo on Novel Meals)

This book is an advance reader’s copy and was given to me by my Goodreads/Twitter friendRhiannon Johnson. Thank you so much Rhiannon! ( )
  SquirrelHead | Nov 5, 2014 |
An interesting read once you get past the first few pages, all about revenge for imagined slights and quite believable as to the methology.

Ivy is sidelined when it comes to a promotion in work by Oriana. She decides to get her revenge, but once people start looking into the truth some uncomfortable truths come out that will hurt her. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 12, 2006 |

How would you feel if your best friend at work betrayed you? Was secretly having an affair with an influential colleague? Did you out of a coveted promotion, then teamed you up with a mere junior, leaving you feeling completely demoted? What would you do? For Ivy, there's no choice. The only person she has ever trusted, Orianna, has blown it big time. So there's only one way forward. Revenge. Ivy's campaign is brilliant, if horribly destructive, and she's determined to get even with the woman has dared to cross her. But is Ivy really the innocent party? Or is she hiding secrets of her own? Set in the heart of Soho's adland, where emotions run even higher than the salaries, "Getting Even" is an unputdownable tale of jealousy packed with bonking, bonding, and backstabbing.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:39 -0400)

How would you feel if your best friend at work betrayed you? Was secretly having an affair with an influential colleague? Won a coveted promotion, then teamed you up with a mere junior, leaving you feeling completely demoted? What would you do? For Ivy there's no choice. The only person she has ever trusted, Orianna, has blown it big time. So there's only one way forward: revenge. Ivy's campaign is brilliant, if horribly destructive, and she's determined to get even with the woman who has dared to cross her. But is Ivy really the innocent party? Or is she hiding secrets of her own?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible