Plum Pudding Murder (Hannah Swensen) by…

Plum Pudding Murder (Hannah Swensen) (edition 2010)

by Joanne Fluke (Author)

Rumour has it that "Lunatic Larry" Jaeger is in the red--an idea that takes a sinister turn when Hannah discovers the man himself dead as a doornail in his own office. It seems quite a few people would have liked to fill Larry's stocking with coal and then bash him with it. With so many suspects to investigate and the twelve days of Christmas ticking away, Hannah's running out of time to nab a murderous Scrooge who doesn't want her to see the New Year.… (more)
Member:Stacyleanne12
Title:Plum Pudding Murder (Hannah Swensen)
Authors:Joanne Fluke (Author)
Info:Kensington (2010), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages

Plum Pudding Murder by Joanne Fluke

Being a fan of the Hallmark Murder She Baked series, I was excited to find this book in which the movie was based on. Written with recipes in which Hannah uses at the end of each chapter in which the recipe is introduced provides a great insight into the life of Hannah as written by Fluke. Though there are some points in which two of the characters can become switched and parts in which it feels as if something is missing; Plum Pudding Murder presents a good mystery that leaves the reader guessing until the end. ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Jul 4, 2020 |
Plum Pudding Murder by Joanne Fluke
Love this series and this one is about Larry who runs the crazy elf Christmas lot. Lots of suspects in town and some mysteries surrounding the mayor, Norman's mother, Carey keeps declining others dropping by or going out with them,
Hannah's ex professor who she had romantic encounter with years ago is now her sister Michelle's friend, and Larry's ex wife teaches at the local college
Hannah takes it upon herself to help question others and put the pieces together. She is providing food for her friends upcoming wedding.
With Christmas things are very busy. Hannah discovers his body and figures he's running the business in the red and figures also that his ex wife might want to do him in also.
Recipes for Christmas dinner are included along with ones in chapters. Love catching up with the townsfolk and finding out what they are up to.
I received this book from The Kennsington Books in exchange for my honest review ( )
  jbarr5 | Feb 7, 2020 |
It’s nearly Christmas, and it’s a crazy time for everyone, but it’s especially crazy at the Crazy Elf Christmas Tree Lot. Larry owns and runs the venture, and Hannah is supplying his coffee shop with cookies. When she and Norman go there to pick up her check, readers won’t be surprised at what they find. Hannah must ferret out the clues, and discover who hated Larry the most. Of course, there are tasty recipes included in the tale, but the most entertaining aspect of the story is Moisha the cat. His attempts to conquer Hannah’s Christmas tree and her attempts to thwart him are hilarious. ( )
  Maydacat | Jan 30, 2020 |
Christmas time in Eden Lake, Minnesota finds the community college students jumping off the edge of the parking lot. [They’re taking a ride on a slider, courtesy of the college’s shop class.]

And between the lovely green trees and his little shop, the owner of the Crazy Elf Tree Lot seems to be doing a booming business.

But when Hannah Swensen, owner of The Cookie Jar, finds Larry Jaeger dead, his business comes under scrutiny and, as the investigation begins, the list of suspects begins to grow when it becomes apparent that Larry was swindling the good folks who’d invested in his Crazy Elf Tree Lot business.

So which one of the disgruntled folks is responsible for the murder?

In this, the twelfth outing for the Eden Lake gang, all the expected characters are in place. Things are pretty much status quo for the little town where everyone knows everyone else and secrets are never kept for long. Hannah manages to find the body [again] and figure out who’s the culprit [again] by morphing from baker into town meddler cum busybody-investigator. [Maybe she should join the police department or get a private investigator’s license and up her credibility a notch or two.]

Or perhaps she could [finally] make a choice between dentist Norman and police detective Mike. For many readers, the Norman/Hannah/Mike triangle has definitely passed its shelf life. In the last several books in the series, Mike has been working hard at making himself particularly unlikable; perhaps readers are being primed for a choice in the near future?

Astute readers will easily identify the culprit as the story unfolds. It’s predictable and occasionally annoying, but it’s also a satisfying, undemanding read. And, as irritating as Hannah can be, there’s a pleasing sense of small-town camaraderie in these stories that’s hard to ignore.

And then there are all those recipes.

Fans of the series will find much to enjoy here.

Recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Nov 9, 2019 |
So as I was packing my bags for Florida, I looked on my bookshelf for books to read by the pool. I wanted light and breezy and that is what I go. I have never read a Joanne Fluke book before, but picked up three at my Church Christmas Bazaar and this was the first one. I will read the other two over the next couple of weeks.

This book was okay, but it was rather predictable. The characters are nosy, overly friendly yet helpful and loyal to one another. There are some actions that were hard to believe, like the fact that the main character Hannah Swenson is dating two guys who know about each other and they are friends. Probably wouldn't happen in real life. The story tends to revolve around The Cookie Jar and baking with a mystery thrown in. Having said that, I copied down 5 recipes from the book. My mouth was watering reading it. The others in the book are pretty much related to Hannah, work for Hannah or her mother or are related to people who work for one of them. Small town I guess. Having said all this, I enjoyed the book, it was what I was looking for, an easy enjoyable read on a sunny day, even though it was a Christmas themed book. That is who I would recommend this book to, someone looking for a simple, easy story to amuse, not make you think about it.

Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
This book is for the lovely Thea Giulia
There were nights like tonight, right after he'd bet a bundle on the losing team, when Larry Jaeger wondered why he'd ever come back to this dinky little town.
This is the book; do not combine with the TV movie.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joanne Fluke's book Plum Pudding Murder was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,843,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible