The Museum of Mary Child by Cassandra Golds

The Museum of Mary Child (2009)

by Cassandra Golds

Heloise lives with her strict and forbidding godmother in an isolated cottage where the emphasis is on doing one's duty and avoiding all things which could be considered a waste of time. Next door is a sinister museum dedicated to the memory of Mary Child. Visitors enter the museum with a smile, but depart with fear in their eyes. Heloise has never been in the museum.… (more)

Read this review - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/88376419 - she captures perfectly what I'd like to be able to say about this moving, horrifying, uplifting, and utterly original fable. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I wasn't sure where this book was going with elements of fantasy, mystery, and Gothic horror as Heloise searches for love. Sure to go over the heads of many, but the gruesome scary parts will appeal. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Well, that was strange! So Heloise was a doll in the end, brought to life by her godmother who was Mary Child after all... what a trip. I like how it all came together at the end, and loved the metaphor of Sebastian's prison being the royal castle and he the prince - and loved his happy ending.What I didn't get though was how he'd seen Mary Child/Heloise's godmother only a year beforehand since it seems implied that Heloise had been living there for more than just a year. Unless she was "born" and aged really super-fast so that a year to her could well feel like ten or so. I guess, since she was a doll...I have a small gripe too. On the second page: "They are not wild birds. In fact, they are the kind that usually live their lives in cages - canaries, finches, budgerigars and the like." That the author is Australian and would say that budgies are not wild and usually caged just made me go all grrr. That should have been worded slightly differently, because when I read it I just assumed that the author didn't know that budgies are actually wild birds in Australia. A huge surprise to find that of all the nationalities, the author was Australian! Tch.LOVED the parts with Old Mother and her choir the best, after the very creepy beginning at the house next door to the museum. It was only the last third or so where my interest began to wane a little, thus dropping this down from 4 stars to 3. It's a 3 1/2 though in any case. I like the slightly Victorian feel, though it's given neither a time nor a place. The setting was perfect. ( )
  lfae | Nov 11, 2011 |
  lfae | Nov 11, 2011 |
I read this book when it first came out. The doll and the book cover actually caught my attention and the back description made me want to read it. The tone of the book is very dark, the girl is full of 15 year old angst, lost in a home life that is stagnant and I personally think depressing. Heloise is being raised by her godmother who forbids any toys in the house and when Heloise finds a doll buried beneath the floorboards of the museum next door she keeps it against her godmother's wishes. The doll is tied up in the family past and Heloise (to me) seemed like she was tired of being pushed away and not having her questions answered. You'll have to read the book for yourself. I'd be interested in your thoughts and whether you liked the book.

I can tell you that the teen that purchased my copy seemed intrigued with the cover, the doll (even though she said dolls "creeped" her out) and the mystery within the story. I've had a few other teens ask about the book too. This genre seems to appeal to a certain group of readers - those that like creepy, vampire dark type of books - if you like that type of story you'll love this book!

This book has earned the Bank Street College of Education Best Children's Books of the Year and the CBCA 2010 notable Books List - Young Readers. ( )
  tiinaj1 | Sep 25, 2011 |

Kane Miller Books

An edition of this book was published by Kane Miller Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,813,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible