Tell Me, Tree: All About Trees for Kids by…

Tell Me, Tree: All About Trees for Kids

by Gail Gibbons

This is a great informational children's book that is filled with a lot of facts about trees, primarily found in North America. This book also has a lot of information about all the parts of a tree, from the roots to the leaves and even scientific aspects, such as photosynthesis. This book is filled with pictures. The pictures range from illustrations that are warm and inviting, to diagrams of the parts of a tree. I would recommend this book to to anyone who wants to learn about trees, or a teacher who is preparing a science lesson. I think this book has a broad age range, and I would recommend it for grades 1-5. ( )
  KMG2002 | Feb 28, 2017 |
Tell Me, Tree is, in my opinion, a very nicely written book for a younger audience. Being an informational book makes it hard to have a big theme or point, but it did help me to understand all about trees, as promised on the cover of the book. One of the main aspects of this book that pulled me in was the illustrations on each page. They were beautifully done with plenty of detail and explanation for the young readers. They helped to pull me into the actual words on the page. I believe that they were beautiful enough to keep all of the children reading it engaged and attentive. One of the downfalls I have with this book was that the words on the page do not exactly line up to where you would expect them to be on the page. It can be hard to understand the sequence of the reading and what should come next. ( )
  ghall6 | Feb 18, 2017 |
In my opinion, this book is a cute and engaging book for readers who want to learn about trees. The book taught me some facts that I didn’t know.Since this is an informational text, the main idea of this book is to build upon a reader’s knowledge on the topic of trees.Gail Gibbons does a wonderful job using academic language and making it understandable. To add on to this, vocabulary words in the book stand out because they are italicized. She then goes on to define these words in a simple way. When defining bark, Gibbons writes “bark protects trees from weather and insects and animals that attack them”. Sometimes this is hard to do because we are adults and sometimes talk like adults. To write a good children’s book, one must think like children and write like the age group they are targeting. The book features various pictures and models of different kinds of trees. Gibbons also brings the trees to life as throughout the book the boy in the story seems to talk to the tree. For instance, each set of pages has “Tell me, tree….” at the top. The author also includes some fun facts and activities that children can do in their homes. I think this is a great way to get children excited about books while having a hands-on activity to do afterwards. ( )
  aphelp6 | Feb 16, 2017 |
Personally, I found this book to be a little boring. This could just be because Non-Fiction books have never been my favorite, or it could be because I didn't find it engaging. There are ways to make non-fiction engaging. Adding characters is one way this book could have been enhanced, instead of just listing fact after fact. This being said, I was fascinated by the information added in this book and the things that I learned! I had no idea that the cambium layer was the reason trees had rings to indicate their age. I just think that the addition of characters and a pseudo story line could have made it more engaging. ( )
  rlyon2 | Feb 12, 2017 |
Tell Me, Tree by Gail Gibbons is a fantastic book for three reasons: the illustrations, the amount of information provided and the construction of the pages. The illustrations are vibrant and draw the reader in. While the book is certainly informational, the various drawings lend themselves to be interpreted as stories within the text. For instance, when Gibbons introduces the reader to the Sitka Spruce, Canary Palm, Mangrove and Mesquite each tree is set in a unique scene. A reader could conjure up a story about what the two children are doing alongside the Sitka Spruce or a story about what the alligator is doing swimming next to the Mangrove. There is an plethora amount of information provided to the reader. The sheer volume of knowledge that is available makes this text one that can be reread many times. Additionally, Tell Me, Tree is an informational book that can be referenced for years to come. The construction of the pages makes this book not only visually appealing, but also assembles large amounts of information into a rather short book. For instance, Gibbons introduces the reader to fifteen specific trees and their characteristics into just seven pages. Each tree has its name, a picture of it in its habitat and a depiction of its leaf and bark. I would most certainly recommend this book as a introductory piece into the science of trees. ( )
  mkenne29 | Feb 11, 2017 |

Featuring a special section on how children can make a tree identification book of their own, this title is a bright and colorful introduction to trees, leaves, and their inner workings in nature. Full color.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,057,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible