Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community,…

Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Nathaniel Philbrick

Member:LisaMaria_C
Title:Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War
Authors:Nathaniel Philbrick
Info:Penguin Books (2007), Paperback, 480 pages
Collections:Reviewed, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:ultimate reading list - history, 17th century, America, American, Massachusetts, American History, Colonial America, history, Indians, King Philip's War, Mayflower, Native Americans, New England, non-fiction, Pilgrims, Plymouth, Plymouth Colony, Puritans

Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War by Nathaniel Philbrick (2006)

Full Disclaimer: I am a bit of a history nerd.
American History...not so much.
I am always down to lodge intellectualized attacks against Western Civilization, however. What better fodder than the Pilgrims' treatment of Native Americans?
We all know Thanksgiving is a farce (National Holiday decreed by none other than Honest Abe). But what about 1620? The nitty grit of it - the 1st winter in Plymouth?
Philbrick spins a decent yarn. His style of prose is easily digestible and fully detailed. What stands out the most in this work is the depths of the colonizers depravity after the Native Americans' many kindnesses disappeared from their generational memory.
We all knew they sucked -- but not until reading this book did I learn the abhorrent degree of suckitude.
And I also learned a thing or two of succotash. Not the suffering kind.
You've got to read it for yourself - no spoilers here.
I enjoyed this book very much. Recommended. ( )
  apomonis | Jun 2, 2016 |
Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community and War – Nathaniel Philbrick
Audio performance by George Guidall
3 stars

There’s more to our colonial history than a ship, a rock and a 3 day feast. It’s not surprising that a close look at the facts reveals more than the well-warn legends remembered from early elementary school. Philbrick gives a very readable of the Mayflower landing in 1621 and the continuing history of the colony through the rest of the century. George Guidall is an excellent voice artist, but as with other non-fiction books, I found it easier to attend to the printed text.

I was surprised at how often there was actually some factual basis for our national myths. The Native Americans did assist the Pilgrims! Of course it wasn’t always about simple human kindness. I’m sure I never knew just how severely European diseases had depleted Native populations even before the Mayflower landing in 1621. I was not surprised that the Pilgrims had no scruples about exploiting the native population, but I had not considered that Massasoit and Squanto had their own plans for grabbing power and influence.

Philbrick assembles his facts clearly. He kept my interest by pointing out the relevant and ironic connections to the development of the United States and to more recent history.

“In 2002 it was estimated that there were approximately 35 million descendants of the Mayflower passengers in the United States, which represents roughly 10 percent of the total U.S. population.”

And about the Mayflower Compact, “It is deeply ironic that the document many consider to mark the beginning of what would one day be called the United States came from a people who had more in common with a cult than a democratic society.”

And sadly: “ It has been estimated that at least a thousand Indians were sold into slavery during King Philip’s War, with over half the slaves coming from Plymouth Colony alone. By the end of the war, Mount Hope, once the crowded Native heart of the colony, was virtually empty of inhabitants. Fifty-six years after the sailing of the Mayflower, the Pilgrims’ children had not only defeated the Pokanokets in a devastating war, they had taken conscious, methodical measures to purge the land of its people.”

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
The author gives a very detailed discussion of the people who came over on the Mayflower, their community and their relationship with the Native Americans. Thanksgiving will never be the same for me. ( )
  addunn3 | May 21, 2016 |
A great book to read around Thanksgiving. It provides a detailed history of the pilgrims and the early colonies. It will change the way you look at the thanksgiving story. ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 25, 2016 |
These are my ancestors?!
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Nathaniel Philbrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Melissa
We all want to know how it was in the beginning. - Preface
For sixty-five days, the Mayflower had blundered her way through storms and headwinds, her bottom a shaggy pelt of seaweed and barnacles, her leaky decks spewing salt water onto her passengers' devoted heads. - Chapter 1
L'histoire américaine , qui narre cette aventure comme une conquête âpre et glorieuse , a été en partie transfigurée par la légende . Le destin de la colonie de la Nouvelle-Angleterre prendra alors une autre tournure , plus complexe , troublante , foisonante .

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0143111973, Paperback)

Nathaniel Philbrick became an internationally renowned author with his National Book Award? winning In the Heart of the Sea, hailed as ?spellbinding? by Time magazine. In Mayflower, Philbrick casts his spell once again, giving us a fresh and extraordinarily vivid account of our most sacred national myth: the voyage of the Mayflower and the settlement of Plymouth Colony. From the Mayflower?s arduous Atlantic crossing to the eruption of King Philip?s War between colonists and natives decades later, Philbrick reveals in this electrifying history of the Pilgrims a fifty-five-year epic, at once tragic and heroic, that still resonates with us today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

From the perilous ocean crossing to the shared bounty of the first Thanksgiving, the Pilgrim settlement of New England has become enshrined as our most sacred national myth. Yet, as author Philbrick reveals, the true story of the Pilgrims is much more than the well-known tale of piety and sacrifice; it is a 55-year epic. The Mayflower's religious refugees arrived in Plymouth Harbor during a period of crisis for Native Americans, as disease spread by European fishermen devastated their populations. Initially the two groups maintained a fragile working relationship. But within decades, New England erupted into King Philip's War, a savage conflict that nearly wiped out colonists and natives alike, and forever altered the face of the fledgling colonies and the country that would grow from them. Philbrick has fashioned a fresh portrait of the dawn of American history--dominated right from the start by issues of race, violence, and religion.--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,920,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible