Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding

Retribution Falls (2009)

by Chris Wooding

Series: Tales of the Ketty Jay (1)

Recently added bykvrfan, drmaf, nujateri, private library, IvieHill, Helen_Earl, Grey4114, JurgenJacobs, Keemun
    Serenity: Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon (Jannes)
    Jannes: Retribution falls is, for better or worse, essentially Firefly/Serenity in steampunk drag.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (Alliebadger)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jannes)
    Jannes: Airships and high adventure in a post-apocalyptic and retrofuturistic word. Also: air pirates.

English (43)  French (2)  All languages (45)
In some ways reminiscent of the space cowboys of "Firefly", these steampunk adventures of Frey and his rag tag crew on the Ketty Jay have something for everyone. Action, adventure, humor, heart - it is all here.
I came upon this book in a roundabout way - a friend of my daughter who has worked with us both recommended it to Becky. As usual, Bex had a 'to be read' list as long as the dead sea scrolls, so Kirsty suggested I read it first. Probably more my sort of book than Becky's to be honest, since she tends to shy away from anything even remotely sci-fi.
I wasn't sure when I took it, but soon got hooked. The fact I have now requested the two sequels speaks for itself! ( )
  Helen_Earl | Aug 6, 2015 |
This is basically steampunk Firefly. One complaint: the women in this novel are either hookers, psycho ex-girlfriends, or a supernatural zombie. I almost deducted another star for that. Otherwise, very much a romp by a bunch of antiheroes through space. ( )
  bug_girl | Jun 4, 2015 |
Read like the Steampunk equivalent of a Dungeons and Dragons novel. I might have been impressed with this as a young teenager, but as an adult read, found it was just too ham-fisted. For those wanting a more mature and satisfying Steampunk experience, I recommend [b:The Half-Made World|8198773|The Half-Made World|Felix Gilman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312035395s/8198773.jpg|13045676] ( )
  StaticBlaq | Apr 26, 2015 |
Firefly in book form. Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
From the very start, it's clear this is a steampunk take on Firefly. It does a pretty good job of it, too. It's rollicking fun, with a airship full of damaged characters caught up in some wicked politics way beyond their scope. There's lots of action and intrigue, so it reads fast.

Captain Frey is a very damaged sort. I can see how his character could turn off a reader completely. However, I'm willing to stick with him and see how he grows, and I was satisfied with that shift. He's like the Grinch, slowly growing a heart. The rest of the cast is fascinating, but the book really felt like an introduction to them. A lot of background information didn't emerge until near the end, which was kinda frustrating. It's a good incentive to read onward in the series to find out more. I really want to know more about Bess and Jez. ( )
  ladycato | Dec 14, 2014 |

Chris Woodingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The smuggler held the bullet between thumb and forefinger, studying it in the weak light of the store room.

Sky piracy is a bit out of Darian Frey’s league. Fate has not been kind to the captain of the airship Ketty Jay—or his motley crew. They are all running from something. Crake is a daemonist in hiding, traveling with an armored golem and burdened by guilt. Jez is the new navigator, desperate to keep her secret from the rest of the crew. Malvery is a disgraced doctor, drinking himself to death. So when an opportunity arises to steal a chest of gems from a vulnerable airship, Frey can’t pass it up. It’s an easy take—and the payoff will finally make him a rich man.

But when the attack goes horribly wrong, Frey suddenly finds himself the most wanted man in Vardia, trailed by bounty hunters, the elite Century Knights, and the dread queen of the skies, Trinica Dracken. Frey realizes that they’ve been set up to take a fall but doesn’t know the endgame. And the ultimate answer for captain and crew may lie in the legendary hidden pirate town of Retribution Falls. That’s if they can get there without getting blown out of the sky.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:40 -0400)

Frey is the captain of the Ketty Jay, leader of a small and highly dysfunctional band of layabouts. An inveterate womaniser and rogue, he and his gang make a living on the wrong side of the law, avoiding the heavily armed flying frigates of the Coalition Navy. With their trio of ragged fighter craft, they run contraband, rob airships and generally make a nuisance of themselves. So a hot tip on a cargo freighter loaded with valuables seems like a great prospect for an easy heist and a fast buck. Until the heist goes wrong, and the freighter explodes. Suddenly Frey isn't just a nuisance anymore - he's public enemy number one, with the Coalition Navy on his tail and contractors hired to take him down. But Frey knows something they don't. That freighter was rigged to blow, and Frey has been framed to take the fall. If he wants to prove it, he's going to have to catch the real culprit. He must face liars and lovers, dogfights and gunfights, Dukes and daemons. It's going to take all his criminal talents to prove he's not the criminal they think he is ...… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,008,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible