Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding

Retribution Falls (2009)

by Chris Wooding

Series: Tales of the Ketty Jay (1)

Serenity: Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon (Jannes)
    Jannes: Retribution falls is, for better or worse, essentially Firefly/Serenity in steampunk drag.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (majkia)
    majkia: outsiders, thieves, heists, pirates
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (Alliebadger)
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (Jannes)
    Jannes: Airships and high adventure in a post-apocalyptic and retrofuturistic word. Also: air pirates.

English (41)  French (2)  All languages (43)
Read like the Steampunk equivalent of a Dungeons and Dragons novel. I might have been impressed with this as a young teenager, but as an adult read, found it was just too ham-fisted. For those wanting a more mature and satisfying Steampunk experience, I recommend [b:The Half-Made World|8198773|The Half-Made World|Felix Gilman|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312035395s/8198773.jpg|13045676] ( )
  StaticBlaq | Apr 26, 2015 |
Firefly in book form. Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
From the very start, it's clear this is a steampunk take on Firefly. It does a pretty good job of it, too. It's rollicking fun, with a airship full of damaged characters caught up in some wicked politics way beyond their scope. There's lots of action and intrigue, so it reads fast.

Captain Frey is a very damaged sort. I can see how his character could turn off a reader completely. However, I'm willing to stick with him and see how he grows, and I was satisfied with that shift. He's like the Grinch, slowly growing a heart. The rest of the cast is fascinating, but the book really felt like an introduction to them. A lot of background information didn't emerge until near the end, which was kinda frustrating. It's a good incentive to read onward in the series to find out more. I really want to know more about Bess and Jez. ( )
  ladycato | Dec 14, 2014 |
More please! ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
First, if you want to read a story of noble heroes then this is not a story for you. This book doesn't have heroes. What it does have is a great and fast story, more than interesting characters and their slow and beautifully done development, so by the time I finished reading, I loved them.

We are introduced to the crew of the Ketty Jey through Jez, a petite and great navigator who is new to the crew. Malvery is introducing them and hers are the first impressions we have of them. Malvery is a huge man with a contagious laugh. Nothing seems to disturb him. Pinn and Harken are outflyers whose job is to protect the Ketty Jay. Pinn is one of the ugliest people in the book and he is really stupid. Harken is only normal when he is alone and flying, or when he isn't expected to talk or argue. These two are complete opposite. Pinn doesn't seem to grasp the concept of death or danger at all and Harken sees the danger even in the most ordinary things. Silo is an engineer on the Ketty Jay and he doesn't talk much. The last two people Jez meets are Darian Frey and Crake. Crake is an educated man and a daemonist who is hiding from the law. Darian Frey is their captain. Soon after the introductions, she gets to see Bess, Crake's golem, in action and later their weird cat. There is no loyalty or friendship among them and they seem thrown in together by accident. Malvery's description in the beginning is the best way to see what you get with this crew. ‘Look at us! We’re not smugglers or pirates. We’re not a crew! The Cap’n’s only the cap’n ’cause he owns the aircraft; I wouldn’t trust him to lead a bear to honey. None of us here signed on for adventure or riches, ’cause sure as spit there’s little enough of either.’ He gave Crake a conspiratorial wink. ‘But mark me, ain’t one of us that’s not running from something, you included. I’ll bet my last swig of rum on that.’ The Ketty Jey has been set up and almost everyone is after them, so in order to save themselves they have to find out who set them up and why. It works for well organized crews, but this group is anything but. It is a fast-paced adventure and action story with more than one point of view (the writing is great and the characters' voices are distinct).
I loved the character development. It is masterfully done. Darian Frey from the beginning of this book is a completely different person from the one in the end. That goes for most of the other characters too. From "ragged collection of vagrants" they become "a miniature society, the denizens of the Ketty Jay, and they needed one another to survive."
There are tons of books where either characters or the plot are what makes the story good. Retribution Falls has them both. What I loved is the way Wooding didn't reveal the characters' stories all at once. He keeps us waiting and wondering by revealing what happened to them in the past bit by bit (Jaz's story is the most intriguing).
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |

Chris Woodingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martiniere, StephanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The smuggler held the bullet between thumb and forefinger, studying it in the weak light of the store room.

Sky piracy is a bit out of Darian Frey’s league. Fate has not been kind to the captain of the airship Ketty Jay—or his motley crew. They are all running from something. Crake is a daemonist in hiding, traveling with an armored golem and burdened by guilt. Jez is the new navigator, desperate to keep her secret from the rest of the crew. Malvery is a disgraced doctor, drinking himself to death. So when an opportunity arises to steal a chest of gems from a vulnerable airship, Frey can’t pass it up. It’s an easy take—and the payoff will finally make him a rich man.

But when the attack goes horribly wrong, Frey suddenly finds himself the most wanted man in Vardia, trailed by bounty hunters, the elite Century Knights, and the dread queen of the skies, Trinica Dracken. Frey realizes that they’ve been set up to take a fall but doesn’t know the endgame. And the ultimate answer for captain and crew may lie in the legendary hidden pirate town of Retribution Falls. That’s if they can get there without getting blown out of the sky.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:33 -0400)

Frey is the captain of the Ketty Jay, leader of a small and highly dysfunctional band of layabouts. An inveterate womaniser and rogue, he and his gang make a living on the wrong side of the law, avoiding the heavily armed flying frigates of the Coalition Navy. With their trio of ragged fighter craft, they run contraband, rob airships and generally make a nuisance of themselves. So a hot tip on a cargo freighter loaded with valuables seems like a great prospect for an easy heist and a fast buck. Until the heist goes wrong, and the freighter explodes. Suddenly Frey isn't just a nuisance anymore - he's public enemy number one, with the Coalition Navy on his tail and contractors hired to take him down. But Frey knows something they don't. That freighter was rigged to blow, and Frey has been framed to take the fall. If he wants to prove it, he's going to have to catch the real culprit. He must face liars and lovers, dogfights and gunfights, Dukes and daemons. It's going to take all his criminal talents to prove he's not the criminal they think he is ...… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,787,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible