Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Gift from the Sea (1955)

by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

English (69)  French (1)  All languages (70)
This book is rich in wonderful insights into relationships and life. ( )
  liannecollins | Apr 18, 2019 |
I've read this book two or three times, but it's been a while. I'm enjoying it just as much this time; it's a very calming, centering book. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
In Gift from the Sea, Anne Morrow Lindbergh concerns herself with life as it was lived in the 1950s, particularly, it seems, as lived by American women of her own social class. She finds it useful (and I won’t begrudge her the idea that it is so) to find in seashells the gift of inspirations for thinking about big and small spaces, about how life can demand too much in too little time or offer too little in much time, and about the ways one might find a success that harmonizes with one’s spirit.

She writes, “If one sets aside time for a business appointment, a trip to the hairdresser, a social engagement, or a shopping expedition, that time is accepted as inviolable. But if one says: I cannot come because that is my hour to be alone, one is considered rude, egotistical, or strange.”

This is key: “A room of one’s own” needs an hour of one’s own, too.

Lindbergh champions the idea of seeking out the unknown. She sees big-city life, with all its variety, motivating individuals to restrict their acquaintance to others like them, exchanging the opportunity presented by the unknown for the familiarity of the comfortable. She wants us, women and men, to seek the unknown, saying “it is the unknown with all its disappointments and surprises that is the most enriching.”

While not a book I would have thought to pick up (it arrived at the house long ago as part of a Book Club package and I’ve only now just read it), I find myself thinking Anne Morrow Lindbergh is someone I would like to have met, to have talked with for an hour or so. And not because she knew some guy named Charles. ( )
1 vote dypaloh | May 6, 2018 |
Can't really say anything. Nothing in the book feels like it applies to me, at least not yet, maybe not ever. I just wish I had problems that can be solved by spending some time alone chillin' on a beach. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Review: Gift From The Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. 11/23/2017

In the book Anne Lindbergh shares her meditations on youth and age, love and marriage, peace, solitude and being content during a brief vacation by the sea. Her inspiration started with sea shells on the shore. Picking up various shells she casts an unsentimental eye at the trappings of modern life that threaten to overwhelm us. Even the timesaving issues that complicate our lives and the recommitments that takes us from our families. Anne records her own thoughts in a brief escape from her everyday demands and finds contemplation and creativity in her own life.

This book is inspiring for any age and the subject matters are surely mature. Some topics are about balancing a household, maintaining a marital relationship, and moving into middle age. Reading discussions on friendships, relationships, feminism and just important life lessons and well thought out ideas help motivate us.

This book was first published in 1955 but is still significant today even more as we are swamped with the distractions of technology and social media invading the privacy of our lives and solitude becomes a rare and valuable commodity. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Nov 29, 2017 |

Anne Morrow Lindberghprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stadelmayer, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wolff, MariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Beach is not a place to work; to read, write or think.
I want...to live "in grace" as much of the time as possible...I believe most people are aware of periods in their lives when they seem to be "in grace" and other periods when they feel "out of grace" even though they may use different words to describe these states.
There are...certain roads that one may follow. Simplification of life is one of them.
Moon shell...You will remind me that I must try to be alone for part of each year, even a week or a few days; and for part of each day, even for an hour or a few minutes in order to keep my core, my center, my island-quality.
Woman must...learn to stand alone.
In middle age...one tries to cure the signs of growth...when really they might be angels of annunciation. Angels of annunciation of what? Of a new stage of living when, having shed many of the physical struggles, the worldly ambitions, the material encumbrances of active life, one might be free to fulfill the neglected side of one's self. One might be free for growth of mind, heart, and talent; free at last for spiritual growth...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679406832, Hardcover)

I found a 1955 printing of this book in an old waterfront cabin and was struck by the care with which the previous owner had read it. Eve (the name inscribed inside the front cover and then again above the heading for chapter 3) made pencil marks on nearly every paragraph of the book, underlining a phrase, highlighting many passages with strong vertical marks, scratching out some words that she seems to have found superfluous and even x-ing out whole sections that apparently missed their mark with her altogether. Two rusting paper clips isolate several pages, absent any marking at all. Anne Morrow Lindbergh's lyrical words are still relevant and presage so many of the themes of today's most popular books: simplicity, peaceful solitude, caring for the soul, a woman finding her place in society and life. I heard that the woman who had lived in the cabin had actually passed away some time before. Thank you, Eve, for your gift... from the sea.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

Elegant and wise meditations on youth and age, love and marriage, solitude, peace and contentment.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,195,531 books! | Top bar: Always visible