Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

Gregor the Overlander (2003)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: Underland Chronicles (1)

English (138)  German (1)  All languages (139)
Way cute book. Very imaginative. It's fun to see where Suzanne Collins came from before writing Hunger Games. This one's for elementary to middle school kids probably. I think my kids will love it. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
I made it as far as the talking spiders and bats and the human-eating rats.
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
The world created here is fine, but I really couldn't connect with the main character, who I found mostly irritating. ( )
  wester | Mar 17, 2015 |
I wish there was a way to give someone 4.5 stars, because that is what I felt this story truly deserved. I enjoy Suzanne Collins writing, I wanted to take a step back and read the first series she wrote. Yes, I may be a little old to read this story, but I have to say, I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The characters were well thought out, and very likable. The story was very original with plenty of suspense and lots of twist. Don't take my word for it, read it for yourself. I think you will enjoy it too! ( )
  stevealtier | Feb 2, 2015 |
This is an engaging tale of a quest by a small group to save many. Themes include family bonds, accepting differences, and the power of hope. Truly enjoyed! ( )
  Lynette.Williams | Jan 25, 2015 |

Suzanne Collinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To, VivienneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom and dad
Gregor had pressed his forehead against the screen for so long, he could feel a pattern of tiny checks above his eyebrows.
He could never hate people very long because he always ended up finding out something sad about them that he had to factor in. [p. 146]

This irresistible first novel tells the story of a quiet boy who embarks on a dangerous quest in order to fulfill his destiny -- and find his father -- in a strange world beneath New York City.

When Gregor falls through a grate in the laundry room of his apartment building, he hurtles into the dark Underland, where spiders, rats, cockroaches coexist uneasily with humans. This world is on the brink of war, and Gregor's arrival is no accident. A prophecy foretells that Gregor has a role to play in the Underland's uncertain future. Gregor wants no part of it -- until he realizes it's the only way to solve the mystery of his father's disappearance. Reluctantly, Gregor embarks on a dangerous adventure that will change both him and the Underland forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

When eleven-year-old Gregor and his two-year-old sister are pulled into a strange underground world, they trigger an epic battle involving men, bats, rats, cockroaches, and spiders while on a quest foretold by ancient prophecy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,073,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible