Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

Gregor the Overlander (2003)

by Suzanne Collins

Series: Underland Chronicles (Book 1)

English (129)  German (1)  All languages (130)
A fall-through-the-rabbit-hole-into-an-alternate-world story. Specifically, falling through a grate behind the dryer in a laundry room and landing in an underground city populated by humans who cohabit the same space with giant-sized cockroaches, bats and rats -- of of which talk, by the way. The 'warrior' from up top (aka: Overland) has to go on a quest and fulfill a prophecy. This has a much simpler plot than Narnia and is targeted for younger readers (lower middle school, at least by my estimation), but I've got a thing about other-worldly-type stories and now that I've started on this 5-book series, I'll read my way through it. ( )
1 vote MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
This irresistible first novel tells the story of a quiet boy who embarks on a dangerous quest in order to fulfill his destiny -- and find his father -- in a strange world beneath New York City.

When Gregor falls through a grate in the laundry room of his apartment building, he hurtles into the dark Underland, where spiders, rats, cockroaches coexist uneasily with humans. This world is on the brink of war, and Gregor's arrival is no accident. A prophecy foretells that Gregor has a role to play in the Underland's uncertain future. Gregor wants no part of it -- until he realizes it's the only way to solve the mystery of his father's disappearance. Reluctantly, Gregor embarks on a dangerous adventure that will change both him and the Underland forever. ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |
This is sort of Alice in Wonderland for urban kids. When Gregor and his baby sister Boots fall through a grate in the laundry room, they find themselves in an amazing world of pale-skinned but normal-sized humans who live among enormous bats, rats, cockroaches, and spiders. Gregor soon learns that this is where his father went when he went missing more than two years prior, and immediately sets off on a quest to find him. Coincidentally, this all matches up with an old prophecy, the fulfillment of which drives much of the story. It was a decent adventure story and I plan on reading the next book in the series, but the world itself didn't grab me as much as I'd expected it to. I had a lot of trouble picturing the surroundings for some reason. I did, however, appreciate the way a bunch of relatively overused story elements (underground cities, prophecies, rescues) came together in surprising ways. I liked how you could never be quite sure who to believe. Hopefully the next one is similarly unpredictable. ( )
  melydia | Mar 24, 2014 |
What fun, adventurous book for boys! And girls--girls will certainly enjoy this too. I'd heard of this series, but never read it before now. Collins perfectly captured a boy struggling with family responsibilities beyond his age when he so desperately wants to act like a kid. The world-building is believable and the fantastical characters unique. Who knew I could develop such a fondness for cockroaches? This is definitely a series to recommend to reluctant readers on account of the fast pacing, but really this book works for any kid interested in fantasy adventures.
  Megs_Scrambled | Mar 10, 2014 |
RGG: Very exciting, entertaining first book in a new fantasy series. Highly recommended! Reading Level: 10-12, FP "V."
  rgruberexcel | Mar 6, 2014 |

Suzanne Collinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom and dad
Gregor had pressed his forehead against the screen for so long, he could feel a pattern of tiny checks above his eyebrows.
He could never hate people very long because he always ended up finding out something sad about them that he had to factor in. [p. 146]

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:35 -0400)

When eleven-year-old Gregor and his two-year-old sister are pulled into a strange underground world, they trigger an epic battle involving men, bats, rats, cockroaches, and spiders while on a quest foretold by ancient prophecy.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible