Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

Gregor the Overlander (original 2003; edition 2013)

by Suzanne Collins (Author)

Member:tekknolagi
Title:Gregor the Overlander
Authors:Suzanne Collins (Author)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (2013), Edition: English Language, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (2003)

English (167)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (171)
Just a mini review of this one, since I read it out of the blue and also I just want to jot down some notes. This book was the SWEETEST Fantasy that I've read in a long time. I have no doubt in my mind that teenage Jessica would have loved this to the moon and back (she also loved Redwall for the same reason), because it's just so fun. Oh sure, it's dark too. There is war, and death, like every good Fantasy should have. Suzanne Collins writes this in a way that is accessible by middle graders and young adults alike though and, if I prove anything, even 34 year old women who needed something kind to her soul to start off the year. I had a blast listening to this on audio, and I think I'm going to binge the rest of these this year.

Absolutely, 100%, recommended. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
And that author was Suzanne Collins - who wrote the Hunger Games.

Oh Suzanne. You have proved to me with this book that anyone can be a writer if they put in the commitment. This book was pretty horrible.

Okay - yes it is a YA book. But it was pushing even that. I like the idea of the book - this young boy from New York falls into the "Underland" through a shoot in his laundry room and ends up in this play where the animals speak and bats, cochroaches (yuk) and rats are as big as Elephants. There are "humans" there but because they don't receive sunlight, they are pale and skinny.

The point of the book is to get Gregor back home. And to keep him alive while that is being done.

If I was 7, I probably would like this book because I wouldn't have known any better. And Suzanne - you became a Bazillionaire so.....touche. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
A boy and his two-year-old sister fall into a fantasy world at war.

3/4 (Good).

The plot is built entirely out of young-adult cliches. But it also has a good sense of humor. Whenever the fantasy stuff gets really bad, or too pretentious, something unexpected and funny will happen. It's not parody, but Collins is clearly self-aware. ( )
  comfypants | Jul 30, 2018 |
I definitely plan on continuing to read this series. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
A preteen boy named Gregor and his younger sister Boots are in the laundry room of their apartment when Boots falls through a grate. Gregor follows. They find themselves in a world where insects and rodents are as big as humans. They discover that there are also humans in this strange world when they are brought to the city Regalia by cockroaches. Here Gregor meets the royal family, including Luxa, the future queen and Howard, her cousin. While staying in the city, Gregor learns of a prophecy that states two "overlanders" and eight underlanders will journey to rescue a captured overlander. Soon the people of Regalia discover that Gregor is the "Warrior" of which the prophecy speaks. Unwillingly Gregor discovers that he will have to make the journey. Along with Luxa, Henry, some cockroaches, bats, spiders and Ripred the rat, they set off.

This book is very interesting and full of adventure. Surprises come from nowhere and this book is so much fun to imagine what is going on. You would never expect anything in this book to happen but somehow it does. At the beginning of the book it starts out slow but as you read more it gets intense and full of action. The book is written by a well known author and just like in her other books it's hard to put down. This book is action packed and full of adventure. I would recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  ColinE.B4 | May 31, 2018 |

Suzanne Collinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craig, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To, VivienneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom and dad
Gregor had pressed his forehead against the screen for so long, he could feel a pattern of tiny checks above his eyebrows.
He could never hate people very long because he always ended up finding out something sad about them that he had to factor in. [p. 146]

This irresistible first novel tells the story of a quiet boy who embarks on a dangerous quest in order to fulfill his destiny -- and find his father -- in a strange world beneath New York City.

When Gregor falls through a grate in the laundry room of his apartment building, he hurtles into the dark Underland, where spiders, rats, cockroaches coexist uneasily with humans. This world is on the brink of war, and Gregor's arrival is no accident. A prophecy foretells that Gregor has a role to play in the Underland's uncertain future. Gregor wants no part of it -- until he realizes it's the only way to solve the mystery of his father's disappearance. Reluctantly, Gregor embarks on a dangerous adventure that will change both him and the Underland forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

When eleven-year-old Gregor and his two-year-old sister are pulled into a strange underground world, they trigger an epic battle involving men, bats, rats, cockroaches, and spiders while on a quest foretold by ancient prophecy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,211,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible