Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles)…

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles) (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Suzanne Collins

Member:YoungGeekyLibrarian
Title:Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 311 pages
Collections:My Kindle, Your library
Tags:Read:2012

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (2003)

English (132)  German (1)  All languages (133)
I enjoyed this book. _Gregor the Overlander_ follows the adventures of Gregor, unassuming 11 year old hero of otherworldly prophesy, and his little sister, Boots.

The story is peopled with interesting characters (from humans and bats, to roaches and rats), although Ripred takes the cake. Sadly, we don't meet him until about 3/4 of the way through the book, but he makes the wait worth it. Although about half of the characters are not human, you become engrossed in their stories and wish all of them more "time".

I thought the book appropriate for grades 5/6 and up, due mostly to violence, which actually matches up fairly well with the reading level. While some younger readers may be fine with it, I would probably tailor my recommendations to a slightly older audience. There are multiple brawls and fairly frequent deaths, ranging from named-but-fringe characters to well established ones, many of whom are killed off in a small window of pages. Possibly disturbing to a younger crowd. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Sep 19, 2014 |
This was a very different through a door to another world type of book. I listened to it as an audio book. There are some very good messages about not judging others by what they look like. I liked it enough to finish listening to the end, but it did not captivate me enough that I want to search out the sequel. ( )
  DianneAstle | Aug 4, 2014 |
  DianneAstle | Aug 4, 2014 |
A fall-through-the-rabbit-hole-into-an-alternate-world story. Specifically, falling through a grate behind the dryer in a laundry room and landing in an underground city populated by humans who cohabit the same space with giant-sized cockroaches, bats and rats -- of of which talk, by the way. The 'warrior' from up top (aka: Overland) has to go on a quest and fulfill a prophecy. This has a much simpler plot than Narnia and is targeted for younger readers (lower middle school, at least by my estimation), but I've got a thing about other-worldly-type stories and now that I've started on this 5-book series, I'll read my way through it. ( )
1 vote MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
This irresistible first novel tells the story of a quiet boy who embarks on a dangerous quest in order to fulfill his destiny -- and find his father -- in a strange world beneath New York City.

When Gregor falls through a grate in the laundry room of his apartment building, he hurtles into the dark Underland, where spiders, rats, cockroaches coexist uneasily with humans. This world is on the brink of war, and Gregor's arrival is no accident. A prophecy foretells that Gregor has a role to play in the Underland's uncertain future. Gregor wants no part of it -- until he realizes it's the only way to solve the mystery of his father's disappearance. Reluctantly, Gregor embarks on a dangerous adventure that will change both him and the Underland forever. ( )
  Stsmurphy | Jun 7, 2014 |

Suzanne Collinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom and dad
Gregor had pressed his forehead against the screen for so long, he could feel a pattern of tiny checks above his eyebrows.
He could never hate people very long because he always ended up finding out something sad about them that he had to factor in. [p. 146]

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:35 -0400)

When eleven-year-old Gregor and his two-year-old sister are pulled into a strange underground world, they trigger an epic battle involving men, bats, rats, cockroaches, and spiders while on a quest foretold by ancient prophecy.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,771,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible