Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles)…

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles) (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Suzanne Collins

Member:YoungGeekyLibrarian
Title:Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 311 pages
Collections:My Kindle, Your library
Tags:Read:2012

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (2003)

English (132)  German (1)  All languages (133)
11 year-old Gregor is at home minding the baby – 2 year-old “Boots” – and his Grandma, since it’s summer in New York City, his Mom is at work, and his dad disappeared suddenly two years, seven months and a specified number of days ago. A neighbour stops by to look after Grandma, so Gregor takes Boots down to the basement to do the laundry. So starts a terrifying journey to the Underland.

After falling for what seems like forever, Gregor manages to find his way to the city of the human (sort of) Underlanders, after encountering the gigantic cockroach inhabitants on his way. Fortunately he has not yet encountered the six-foot rats, although with his Overlander aroma, it’s only a matter of time before they smell him out. It’s a hostile world, but Boots manages to charm everyone, partly because she is afraid of no-one, and makes friends left, right and centre. So when Gregor turns out to be the warrior indicated in an ancient prophecy, Boots helps to enlist the aid of other Underlanders simply through being her own innocent self.

This is a great story, rightly garnering several awards and mentions. The story is well-paced, with parts of the dangerous quest divided into manageable chunks, although I’m not entirely sure of its suitability for bed-time reading. The description of the fights and battles are realistic, if short. Maybe fights with fantasy animals are ok. I know I had plenty of imaginary animal friends when I was a tween, just not vicious, smelly rats (not my opinion, just as depicted in the book).

I thought it a shame that a traditionally published book should let through the odd typo and oddities like “making up the word questers to describe the group”. What’s wrong with questors, which is a perfectly good word in the dictionary to describe people on a quest? I certainly knew it when I was twelve.

This is just the first of five Gregor the Overlander books. The next prophecy was hinted at in the last chapters. I’m not sure I’m going to read it, but I’m glad I read the first in the series – it was highly enjoyable and I recommend it to everyone not too afraid of the dark. ( )
  Jemima_Pett | Nov 11, 2014 |
(4.9)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
I've read the Hunger Games and Catching Fire by the same author, but I enjoyed this book much more. I don't know if this was because of the more interesting setting, the more meaningful action, or the fact that the book's main character wasn't an odd-but-talented girl with relationship issues (see Hunger Games). A wonderful book, and I'll read the other books in the series next. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. _Gregor the Overlander_ follows the adventures of Gregor, unassuming 11 year old hero of otherworldly prophesy, and his little sister, Boots.

The story is peopled with interesting characters (from humans and bats, to roaches and rats), although Ripred takes the cake. Sadly, we don't meet him until about 3/4 of the way through the book, but he makes the wait worth it. Although about half of the characters are not human, you become engrossed in their stories and wish all of them more "time".

I thought the book appropriate for grades 5/6 and up, due mostly to violence, which actually matches up fairly well with the reading level. While some younger readers may be fine with it, I would probably tailor my recommendations to a slightly older audience. There are multiple brawls and fairly frequent deaths, ranging from named-but-fringe characters to well established ones, many of whom are killed off in a small window of pages. Possibly disturbing to a younger crowd. ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Sep 19, 2014 |
This was a very different through a door to another world type of book. I listened to it as an audio book. There are some very good messages about not judging others by what they look like. I liked it enough to finish listening to the end, but it did not captivate me enough that I want to search out the sequel. ( )
  DianneAstle | Aug 4, 2014 |

Suzanne Collinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom and dad
Gregor had pressed his forehead against the screen for so long, he could feel a pattern of tiny checks above his eyebrows.
He could never hate people very long because he always ended up finding out something sad about them that he had to factor in. [p. 146]

This irresistible first novel tells the story of a quiet boy who embarks on a dangerous quest in order to fulfill his destiny -- and find his father -- in a strange world beneath New York City.

When Gregor falls through a grate in the laundry room of his apartment building, he hurtles into the dark Underland, where spiders, rats, cockroaches coexist uneasily with humans. This world is on the brink of war, and Gregor's arrival is no accident. A prophecy foretells that Gregor has a role to play in the Underland's uncertain future. Gregor wants no part of it -- until he realizes it's the only way to solve the mystery of his father's disappearance. Reluctantly, Gregor embarks on a dangerous adventure that will change both him and the Underland forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:35 -0400)

When eleven-year-old Gregor and his two-year-old sister are pulled into a strange underground world, they trigger an epic battle involving men, bats, rats, cockroaches, and spiders while on a quest foretold by ancient prophecy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,321,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible