Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles)…

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles) (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Suzanne Collins

Member:YoungGeekyLibrarian
Title:Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles)
Authors:Suzanne Collins
Info:Scholastic (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 311 pages
Collections:My Kindle, Your library
Tags:Read:2012

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (2003)

English (147)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (149)
Gregor and his baby sister Boots fall through a grate in their apartment building's laundry room and land in the Underland, a sunless land populated by humans, roaches, spiders and rats. Vikus, the leader of the humans recognizes Gregor as the warrior foretold in the Prophecy of Gray. It also turns out Gregor and Boots' dad is somewhere in the Underland for the two-plus years of his mysterious disappearance. Gregor joins Vikus' quest to find his dad and in the end fulfill the prophecy. Slow first third which picks up with Part II.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I wish shelfari had an option for i'm listening to this book audio from overdrive. So far for a young adult book its ok.
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |
I went into this book simply wanting to read the first book that Suzanne Collins had written because I enjoyed the Hunger Games so much, but what I got here floored me. This was a children's book that was substantially better in my opinion to The Hunger Games because it felt more geared towards children than that particular story. I was mesmerized by Collins ability to make you care for characters that were not even human. Every single moment of this book was magical in nature. It truly became one of my favorite reads.

Collins introduces us to Gregor and then thrusts him into an entirely different world called Underland. In this Underland we find different tribes that are made up of different species, such as spinners, bats, crawlers, and such. This makes for an entertaining world and one that you feel drawn into. Each moment feels like an adventure and you want to continue reading until the happy conclusion. There are several other books in the Underland Chronicles series and I intend to read them all! ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Gregor is watching his sister in the laundry room of their building when she disappears into a vent. He follows after her and the end up in a fantastic world far beneath NYC where Cockroaches, Rats, and Bats are as big as people. The world is on the brink of war and an ancient prophecy tells of a warrior from the Overland that will be essential to its outcome. Soon, the people of the Underland decide that Gregor is the warrior and send him on a quest that they hope will save them all. Gregor just wants to find away to get home and reunite his family.

I read this book to my son at bedtime (he is 8). He is a fan of Percy Jackson and we were looking for other books that were about boys having an adventure with fantasy elements. Gregor is like a modern day, urban version of Alice in Wonderland. He really enjoyed it and asked me if we could buy the next in the series tomorrow. I also enjoyed the story. It has a good message about not losing hope and exhausting all other options before resorting to violence and war. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |

Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |

Suzanne Collinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To, VivienneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my mom and dad
Gregor had pressed his forehead against the screen for so long, he could feel a pattern of tiny checks above his eyebrows.
He could never hate people very long because he always ended up finding out something sad about them that he had to factor in. [p. 146]

This irresistible first novel tells the story of a quiet boy who embarks on a dangerous quest in order to fulfill his destiny -- and find his father -- in a strange world beneath New York City.

When Gregor falls through a grate in the laundry room of his apartment building, he hurtles into the dark Underland, where spiders, rats, cockroaches coexist uneasily with humans. This world is on the brink of war, and Gregor's arrival is no accident. A prophecy foretells that Gregor has a role to play in the Underland's uncertain future. Gregor wants no part of it -- until he realizes it's the only way to solve the mystery of his father's disappearance. Reluctantly, Gregor embarks on a dangerous adventure that will change both him and the Underland forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

When eleven-year-old Gregor and his two-year-old sister are pulled into a strange underground world, they trigger an epic battle involving men, bats, rats, cockroaches, and spiders while on a quest foretold by ancient prophecy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,016,864 books! | Top bar: Always visible