No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

English (284)  Spanish (1)  All languages (285)
2,960 people on LibraryThing have this book about how the kid's mum can't either chill the fuck out and let her kid explore his world or, if she's that uptight and thinks it's necessary, control her fucking child. So instead David runs from catastrophe to catastrophe, and is rendered with sharp teeth like an imp of malice, and then at the end he is punished and is sad and then they call him Davey and give him a hug and kiss. It's emotional abuse, self-enabling, and I say fuck that. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Jun 27, 2015 |
Summary:

This book is about a young boy whose name is David that does literally what he pleases whether right or wrong. His mother is faithful in saying NO, David to everything he does wrong. Whether it is walking in the house with mud or watching t.v. when his mother told him to pick up his toys. He is resilient in doing what he pleases to do, but at the end of the book he settles down in his mother's arm and says,"I love you" as if he was just a little angel that day.

Personal Reaction:

I am David. lol. In my younger years my mother has told me no with using her lips as well as her hands (whippings) lol.
I just continued to get into a lot of stuff around the house such as David. For example David walking in the house with mud on his shoes and looking back as if he did nothing wrong.
I am sure everybody has had plenty of experience of being told no by their mother whether it was for jumping on your bed or watching t.v. while your room was not clean just as David did.
At the end of the day I told my mother I loved her as if I was just the perfect child that day.

Classroom Extensions:

1. Have the children create a mirror image such as David did portraying his early years as a mischievous little boy. This project should be revealed with literature and pictures of their early years as a mischievous little boy/girl to give to their mom.

2. Have them to list five reasons why they love their mother, and present it to her on Mother's Day. ( )
  dr184845 | Jun 26, 2015 |
No, David by David Shannon is a fun story about a boy who is always getting into trouble. He was always getting yelled at and constantly making a mess and loud noises. Even though practically everything his mom was saying was "no" the end of the story revealed that his mother still loved him even if he caused lots of mischief. The book was illustrated in a very cute way with bold colors and shape that resembled a child's drawing. The story has a great message for children about the love that adults have even though they get mad. I remember reading this book when I was in late elementary school and loved to read it.
  Kristinewaind | Jun 6, 2015 |
I like this book for several reasons. One reason I like this book is the writing. The story is told with little text, but the story is easy to follow. "no David" and "go to your room" are just two examples of the text in the book that keeps the story going even though it is only a few words. Another reason I like the book is the illustrations. The illustrations have a cartoon style to them and explain the parts of the story that are not written out in the text. The main idea of this book is that a mom may tell a child "no" a lot, but they still love you no matter what. ( )
  lbrink2 | May 4, 2015 |
Summary: This book is about a boy named David that never listened to his mother's rules and was constantly causing trouble.

Personal connection: After looking into the book I realized the book is semi-autobiographical, and I am sure many children can relate to the story.

Class use: Write about a time that students did not listen to their parent's rules. What are the importance of rules? ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:16 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,887,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible