No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

English (287)  Spanish (1)  All languages (288)
picture book, CRF, trouble, hugs, love, mom, mischief, 1999 Cadecott Honor Book
  prichter | Jul 26, 2015 |
summary: This book is about a kid named David who just keeps destroying everything and getting into trouble. The mom keeps telling him no until the end where he breaks an urn of honey. He then looks at his mom all sad and she looks at him says she loves him and puts him to bed.

personal reaction: Good book i do not know how the mom could put up with all that destruction though and just say no David.

Classroom extension ideas: 1. Have them write a sorry note to their parents about the times where they too were destructive.
2. Let them go play outside after reading this book as they might get inspiration to destroy things of their own.
  Matthew.Pluff | Jul 15, 2015 |
Summary

This story is about a little boy named David. David is constantly doing something he is not supposed to do, resulting in his mother constantly having to tell him no. No matter how many times David gets in trouble from his mother, she reassures him she loves him with a big hug and tells him she loves him.

Connection

My connection with this book is more geared toward my brother. When the two of us were younger my brother was always doing something he wasn’t supposed to do, just like David. It seemed like every time I turned around my mom was saying No Jerald don’t do that. But, no matter how many times she would get on to him she never let a day go by without telling him she loved him.

Extensions

Each student could write a love note to their mom and dad telling them how much they love them and mean to them. They could then take the note home with them that day and give it to their parents.

We could pick a day where the word no was not allowed in the classroom all day long. No one could say it not even the teacher. If someone said no they would be given a small plastic red chip. It would be a fun way to keep track of the amount of times we said no throughout the day.
  A_Kolinski | Jul 15, 2015 |
2,960 people on LibraryThing have this book about how the kid's mum can't either chill the fuck out and let her kid explore his world or, if she's that uptight and thinks it's necessary, control her fucking child. So instead David runs from catastrophe to catastrophe, and is rendered with sharp teeth like an imp of malice, and then at the end he is punished and is sad and then they call him Davey and give him a hug and kiss. It's emotional abuse, self-enabling, and I say fuck that. ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Jun 27, 2015 |
Summary:

This book is about a young boy whose name is David that does literally what he pleases whether right or wrong. His mother is faithful in saying NO, David to everything he does wrong. Whether it is walking in the house with mud or watching t.v. when his mother told him to pick up his toys. He is resilient in doing what he pleases to do, but at the end of the book he settles down in his mother's arm and says,"I love you" as if he was just a little angel that day.

Personal Reaction:

I am David. lol. In my younger years my mother has told me no with using her lips as well as her hands (whippings) lol.
I just continued to get into a lot of stuff around the house such as David. For example David walking in the house with mud on his shoes and looking back as if he did nothing wrong.
I am sure everybody has had plenty of experience of being told no by their mother whether it was for jumping on your bed or watching t.v. while your room was not clean just as David did.
At the end of the day I told my mother I loved her as if I was just the perfect child that day.

Classroom Extensions:

1. Have the children create a mirror image such as David did portraying his early years as a mischievous little boy. This project should be revealed with literature and pictures of their early years as a mischievous little boy/girl to give to their mom.

2. Have them to list five reasons why they love their mother, and present it to her on Mother's Day. ( )
  dr184845 | Jun 26, 2015 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:16 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,423,228 books! | Top bar: Always visible