No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

English (358)  Spanish (1)  All languages (359)
Although short, I love this easy read! I love how this book is at a low reading and comprehension level, but it still depicts a great moral. The story shows kids how they should not act at home. I absolutely love the choppy pictures and the bright colors that the illustrator uses. This truly shows the horrendous trouble that David is causing throughout the book.
  makensiecowart | Sep 26, 2016 |
I love this book. The illustrations are done wonderfully and I love how the text is written in what appears to be a child's handwriting. ( )
  Madima6781 | Sep 26, 2016 |
Summary:
"No, David!" is about a little boy, David who is constantly being told the word No! The story it self does not have many words, the illustrations fill in the details of the story. Each illustration shows David doing something he is not supposed to do; like, writing on the wall, chewing with his mouth open, running with no clothes on and so on.
Critique:
I enjoyed reading "No David!" because its a fun book and many people can relate to it. I love that the illustrations in the book are what tell the story. You have to pay attention to the pictures to know what David is doing wrong.
Classroom prompts:
I would use this book as a read aloud in kindergarten to show how illustrations tell stories. I would begin by doing a picture walk of the book and having the students talk about what they are seeing. Then read the book and talk about how the pictures fill in the details of what David is doing. "No, David!" can also be used as an introduction to classroom rules.
  janetfuentes | Sep 20, 2016 |
This is such a fun and engaging book that I loved to read as a child. The illustrations are captivating and allows for the reader to really connect with David. ( )
  celutz8191 | Sep 20, 2016 |
Summary:
This book is about a little boy named David who is always causing mischief or getting in trouble. Each page has David doing something he should not be doing and him breaking the rules.

Personal Reaction:
I remember my favorite elementary teacher use to read us this story and she made the book so enjoyable. It tought us to not follow in David's footsteps.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1.) Have the students point to what David is doing wrong on each page.
2.) Have students write down what is a better alternative that David can be doing. ( )
  Jasmine.Afable | Sep 19, 2016 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:16 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,184,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible