No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

2,8662612,020 ()17

English (258)  Spanish (1)  All languages (259)
After reading this book, I had mixed feelings. The book is written and illustrated by the same man. The illustrations are well done and look like a good amount of effort went into them. The main character is a young boy named David. Many children would be able to relate to David because it seems like he is constantly being told no or is in trouble. However, the majority of the dialogue is "No, David!" I feel like more could have been done with the writing. Overall, the big message is that even though we may get in trouble, we still have someone that loves us for who we are. ( )
  mzellh1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
I love that children can relate to this book because they hear the word "No" all the time. It's also fun for them to tell David "No" and be like the parent.
  jdhaynes | Feb 13, 2015 |
This book is about a little boy name David that gets into Everything! his mom is constantly telling him no!
I like this book because toddlers and small children can definitely relate to David. the words are simple and the colors are bright.
classroom extension: I will allow the children to recall a time when they were told no. ( )
  TameitriaJ | Feb 11, 2015 |
David Shannon introduces us to the funny, misbehaving David who is in trouble all the time it seems. While I'm personally not a fan of time outs, many children can relate to them and to the shame and sadness that David portrays while in a time out. The moral of the story is a good one, though: as parents and caregivers, we have to remember to dislike the behavior, and love the child. ( )
  DianeWilkinson | Feb 10, 2015 |
I absolutely love the book, "No David" by David Shannon. First, I like how the book is very easy for kids to relate too. For example, David gets yelled at for being too loud. Many kids are told be their parents to quiet down so they are able to relate to this. David also makes a mess which most children do. Second, I love the illustrations. They are very big and colorful. For example, one picture was a giant head of David picking his nose. Children are going to love this and find it hysterical. Lastly, I enjoyed the simple language which makes it a great beginning reader book and easy for children to follow along. For example, on one page all it said was " Come back here David." The big idea of the book was that even though parents correct children, they still love them. ( )
  bmalon6 | Feb 6, 2015 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,685,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible