No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

English (271)  Spanish (1)  All languages (272)
Summary:
No, David is about a mom that is constantly yelling at her son David to stop getting in so much trouble. He tracks in mud from outdoors, runs around naked, plays with his food, and causes many other messes. His mom says no to all these different things but in the end David asks if she loves him and his mom finally says yes.

Personal Reaction:
This book was a very cute story and can relate to children and adults. Kids see the story as things they are taught not to do while adults see the story as things they used to do growing up. The story is told by the pictures of what David gets into. The only words are those of his mother when she tells him to stop. I really liked this book.

Classroom Extensions:
1.As you read the book you can have the students point out what David does wrong and have them correct the action.

2. Talk to the students about times their parents have said no about everything and ask what they were asking for or about.
  KristenLaSorsa | Mar 25, 2015 |
I had mixed felings about this book. The text is very simple, which can be good for a very young reader. The pictures are also fun and correlate with the action of the character on each page which can help the reader make good infrences. I feel like young readers would really enjoy this book and be able to relate to it, beacuse it is on such an elementary level. I don't however think the book is complicated enough for older readers, and i dont think it has much of a "story". ( )
  Lwatso7 | Mar 22, 2015 |
This book is a cute and fun way to let young children know the basics of what should and should not be done at home. The author wrote and illustrated this book when he was a child, then found it later in life and decided to finish and publish it. David does things like track mud through the house and run naked through the streets. Each page has an illustration and the words "No David!" at the bottom of the page. The main idea of this story is that you should find a way to have fun while following the rules, and no matter how mad your parents may seem, they still love you. One the last page of the book, David's mom finally says "yes" when she says she loves him.

The language of this story is simple and each page is limited to 2 or 3 words. This would be an excellent book for young children to begin reading because they can create the story from the illustrations, with the help of the few given words. The words are all concise and clear to create an easy-to-understand story. The main character, David, is very easy to understand. He is believable because, like all young children, he makes a mistake or two. But he learns how to behave through trial and error, which is a good lesson for kids to understand- everybody makes mistakes. The illustrations are bright and detailed, and yet look like a young child drew them. This helps the young reader to relate to the story. ( )
  kwhite18 | Mar 22, 2015 |
A mother is constantly yelling at her son David to stop causing mischief. He tracks in mud from outdoors, runs around naked, plays with his food, and causes many other messes. In the end however, David is finally told yes by his mother when she says that she loves him.

Personal Reflection: This book is one of those that relates to children and adults. Children see this story as things they are taught not to do while adults see this story as things they have done growing up. Either way this book has a serious yet humorous tone. The story is mainly told by the pictures of what David has done. The only words are those of his mother when she tells him to stop. I really liked this book.

Extensions: 1. While reading the book, have students explain what David is doing wrong and then correct his mistake.

2. Have students write a short paragraph about a time when they did something wrong and their parents got onto them. Have them answer these questions: What did you do? What did your parents do? Did it get fixed? Remember they still love you. ( )
  mnewby17 | Mar 20, 2015 |
I enjoyed “No, David!”, the central message of which was that parents’ love for their child is unconditional, even when he consistently misbehaves. I liked the book for its simple and humorous plot, which told the story of the author, at five-years-old, constantly being told, “No!” whenever he engaged in mischievous, trouble-making behavior. The story ends, however, with David’s mother reassuring David that she loves him, even in spite of his antics. I also liked the book’s characters, which I felt were well-developed and believable. David reminds me of many naughty little boys whom I know who love to cause trouble and test the limits of their parents. Additionally, I liked the point-of-view from which the story was told. The narrator was David’s mother, so I felt as though I was viewing David’s antics from her perspective, which I enjoyed. Finally, I liked the book for its larger-than-life illustrations. They were appropriate to the mood of the story with their fun and whimsical nature, and served to enhance the story. This book is certainly one that I would like to have in my future classroom library, as I would feel that young children would enjoy it and be able to relate to it. ( )
  kkadal1 | Mar 20, 2015 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,172,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible