No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

English (253)  Spanish (1)  All languages (254)
This comedy and fictional book tells the story of the author growing up. He was always told no when growing up or that is enough. We get to reencounter his childhood. ( )
  BayleeWestrick | Jan 26, 2015 |
Summary: This book is about a little boy named David who loves to have fun. David likes to be loud, messy, and (at times) naked. His parents tell him "No!" when he plays loud or is making a mess, but by the end of the book we see that he is a sweet boy and his mom loves him very much.

Personal reaction: This book immediately attracted me because I have a two year old son who acts the exact same way. My son is always getting into things, breaking things, taking his clothes off, etc. I thought it was such a cute book and I would definitely recommend it to parents of young children.

Classroom extension ideas:
1. In the classroom this book could be used as an example of good manners and bad manners. The kids could practice drawing on paper instead of walls, wiping their feet off before entering a room, and eating their food during snack or lunch time instead of playing with it.

2. This book could also be used to teach good hygiene. The kids could learn how to use tissues instead of picking their nose with their finger, wash their hands, and use a napkin when eating.
  Bretny | Jan 20, 2015 |
Summary:

No David is a story about a little boy named David who seems to get into a little trouble. His mom would often say, “No David,” whenever he was doing anything he should not have been doing. The story begins with David climbing on a chair trying to reach the cookie jar. His mom says, “No David!” just as he almost have the jar. Throughout the story, David tracks mud in the house, plays baseball in in the house, and jumps on his bed. His mom finally has to put him in timeout when he breaks a vase. At the end of the book, David appears to be remorseful as he cries and wants to know if his mom still loves him. She reassures David that she still love him.

Personal Reaction:

I really liked this picture book because it was illustrated using cartoon art. When I read this book to my students, they couldn’t get enough of David. The children would say, “No David” in a tone of voice they thought his mother would use. I read this story so much to my class that I knew the book word for word. I noticed the children would get really tickled when David ran down the street without his clothes on. We eventually had to draw some shorts on David’s bottom.

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1.) At the beginning of the school year, No David can be read to the class. Teacher and students can make a poster board of rules for the class with a drawing of David on the board. Each student can take turns listing an expectation for the class to follow. 2.) Each student can make a personal book with drawings for expectations for home and school. The teacher can have cutouts of David, a bed, vase, baseball bat etc. for the children to add to their book. ( )
  YolandaFelton | Jan 20, 2015 |
on every page, are the words, "No, David". of things he are not supposed to do. cute story of a naughty boy. pre k -k
  Nicole129672 | Dec 15, 2014 |
A great book to teach kids the meaning of "no." The author does a great job of creating little text on every page and over bearing us with illustrations that speak to their meanings. Little words can mean a lot especially when mom or dad say no. In his instance David is always found doing something wrong. Often times, kids don't understand the meaning of no and this is a great book to teach them just so. The author uses vivid and detailed illustrations and very large text to get her message across. The author also makes this a fun and educational lesson. ( )
  eoertl1 | Dec 11, 2014 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,097,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible