No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

English (299)  Spanish (1)  All languages (300)
I really enjoyed reading this book because this book was a very easy read. There weren't a lot of sentences in the book, it consisted more of "No, David! or Come back David". I find that keeping this book short and simple helps children better understand and pay attention to what is going on. The illustrations of the story is another thing i loved. Although there wasn't a lot of writing the pictures spoke a million words and you were able to grasp what David was doing and why. The message of this book is yes children can do bad things, and sometimes they don't listen very well but at the end of the day your mother will always love you. ( )
  dvazqu2 | Oct 1, 2015 |
I remember really enjoying this book as a child but after reading it again as an adult, I did not like the book as much. It is definitely a book for really young children. It is short and easy to read. There are not much text in the book. This book is the kind of book that would be given to a child who is just learning to read. The story is more illustration-based. Each page is a picture of David doing something he was not supposed to such as overflowing the bathtub. Along with the picture is a dialogue of either his mom, dad, or another adult scolding him for his actions. David is a believable, well-developed character because there are kids out there that behave like him. I liked how the illustrations made him out to be not so clean-cut and nice. Giving him sharp teeth or drawing an evil smirk on his face went along with his behavior in the story. I would say that the big idea of the story is that despite David misbehaving and not following directions, his mom/dad still loves him, which is shown at the end of the book. ( )
  blim3 | Sep 24, 2015 |
I like this book for two reasons. One in the language. I think for the age group of K-2nd grade, the language is easy for the students to understand. It is very clear and they can comprehend it. Throughout the book it repeats it self by saying No David, which I think it is a good way for students to practice and learn words. Another reason why I like this book is because of the plot. I think from K-2nd grade students are learning the right and wrong things to do, so having this book where it shows a child messing up and getting I trouble then doing the right thing, it really teaches the students right from wrong. I think the main idea of this book is right from wrong and having students recognize what's good and what's bad. ( )
  athomp33 | Sep 23, 2015 |
Summary: This is an easy to read story about a little boy who gets told NO all the time. he does various things that make his mother unhappy with him. At the end of the story he gives his mother a hug and is nice and is finally told "yes David"

Personal Reaction: My first reaction reading this book was the old saying "boys will be boys". He reminds me of pretty much all of the little boys at the daycare. They can be little demons at times then turn around and be so sweet.

Classroom: In the classroom we would talk about how we need to obey our parents and knowing the difference between right and wrong. We would then think of 5 ways that we could help out around the school and go do those things such as picking up the toys in the class or trash in the hallways.
  Kelsie_Murphy | Sep 22, 2015 |
I like this book a lot; it is great for little kids. It is a picture book that consists of full page, vibrant pictures and about two words on each page, “No, David!” It shows a little boy getting into all sorts of trouble and his mom yelling at him. It teaches kids what not to do because you can tell by each picture what David is doing wrong. There is no plot to this book, just various scenes of David and his mom. I think this is a funny book to read to kids, it certainly is entertaining and a quick, easy read.
  jcooke7 | Sep 22, 2015 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:16 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,704,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible