No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

English (345)  Spanish (1)  All languages (346)
No, David! is a Caldecott Medal winning book. This book features expressive illustrations, which infers David's feelings. David is an active boy, who gets into trouble when he tracks in mud, overflows the bath tub, plays ball inside and breaks a vase. Even though David is in trouble often, his mother still loves him. Students will be able to relate to this book, since many of them get into trouble, but are still loved. The book can be used to teach acceptance, love, inference of feelings, and making personal connections. ( )
  Lheatherly | Jul 28, 2016 |
This book is short and simple. It is a picture book that provides illustrations of a little boy named David who is doing things he should not be doing. The words do little to tell the story, but they provide responses towards what the picture is portraying. David consistently gets scolded throughout this book for doing things such as playing ball in the house and splashing water everywhere in the bathroom. In the end, however, his mom still assures him that despite her scolding him, she still loves him.

I remember reading this book to my little brother. He always laughed about the pictures and how he was always getting into trouble. Although the responses are different on each page, the general idea of what to expect is easily noticeable. Children will definitely find pleasure in the repetition of the mood.

For young students, I consider this book to be useful when showing them what they probably SHOULD NOT do. The format of a picture book was perfect because the illustrations showed perfectly what David was doing wrong. The children are able to look at this and grasp that they should probably not draw on the wall. These illustration paired with the words of a stern and upset mother help to allow the students to grasp that because of David doing something he shouldn't, he got in trouble. They are able to make connections of cause and effect. The best part of this book is the very end where David's mom assures David that he loves him. It comes after all the trouble he had caused and serves as a good lesson that your mom cares about you and even if you mess up from time to time, she will not stop loving you for it.
  faylana.nap | Jul 19, 2016 |
Summary: David is a high-strung little boy who seems to misbehave through much of the book. But, we also see that mom shows great restraint and in the end, she reassured him lovingly.

Personal Reaction: This is a good book. I don't know that I'd consider it one of my favorites. There seem to be virtually no repercussion at all for breaking items and not listening and disregarding all rules. I struggle with that. Plus, other than "No David", there are minimal words in the book. That hinders my ability to be a big fan of the book also. But, I have it in my classroom and the kids find it hilarious. In particular, the section where David is running down the street, completely naked.

Classroom Extensions: In the lunchroom, we would practice eating with our mouth closed so as to NOT be like David.

I would lead a large "clean up" time, myself included, to show them how a room should look, once you're done playing. We don't want the area to look like "David's room."
  Dowrox | Jul 19, 2016 |
The book No David we see David get in trouble, A LOT! He 'goes from breaking things to making his mom want to give him a huge hug. It is the classic tale of a child getting in trouble all day for doing things he's not suppose to do and a mom trying to do her best to guide her son in the right direction.
In the classroom this is a great book to show children that you have to have rules. I would read this book on the first day of school and have the children help make the rules of the classroom. This could be an effective classroom management tool because the children are more likely to follow the rules if they helped create them.
Another activity to follow up with this is to have the children create their own no David art project and have the rules printed on them to send home to the parents so there is never a question on the rules of the classroom. ( )
  sb938957 | Jul 8, 2016 |
The story follows David as he gets told "NO!" a lot, in various ways - for very good reasons. But in the end he gets a hug and told that he's loved.

Ages: 3-6
Source: Pierce College Library
  teapotic | Jun 8, 2016 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:16 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,610,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible