No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (original 1998; edition 1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

Member:aclemen1
Title:No, David!
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Blue Sky Press (1998), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:week 5, love, children, behavior

No, David! by David Shannon (1998)

English (414)  Spanish (1)  All (415)
I liked this book because of the humorous plot. David keeps doing things that are getting him in trouble and he is constantly told no. For example, he walks through the house with muddy shoes and his mother tells him "No, David, no!" He also draws on the walls in house and does many other mischievous things that constantly get him in trouble. I like how the book relies more on the illustrations rather than words. Each picture describes itself which allows readers to infer what he is doing wrong. I also liked how the ending of the book responds with David's mom telling him she loves him. The big message of this book is that being corrected by mistakes one has made is not always a bad thing as long as you learn from them and ultimately your loved ones will still care for you. ( )
  KelseyHernandez | Apr 17, 2017 |
No, David by David Shannon is about a troubled little boy. He is always doing naughty things. I love this realistic fiction especially for families who have little boys. This picture book is great for a young child, and has lots of fun pictures. ( )
  mer_482 | Apr 13, 2017 |
This was my first time reading this story. The story is about a young boy who seems to everything wrong according to his mother. I did like this book for multiple reasons. One of my favorite qualities about this book is the text font. The font looks very similar to a child writing. Another reason I enjoyed this story because of its illustrations. For example, anytime David was doing anything bad his face looked very mischievous and he had sharp pointy teeth. Then when his mother would yell at him he would have a very innocent look on his face. I also enjoyed that the illustrations took up the entire page. The large imagery made the story more engaging and pleasing to the eye. The purpose of this story is to show children that no matter what someone loves them unconditionally. ( )
  OliviaLuppino | Apr 3, 2017 |
I wanted to read this book again because it was such an awesome book that I remember my mom reading to me when I was little. This book is about David's mom who is constantly telling David, "NO!", David is a naughty boy and is often misbehaving. In the end of he story Davids mom tells him that she loves him. This book is great when teaching students who misbehave that we still love and care for them. The book also has great illustrations for students that are fun and very silly. ( )
  mparks15 | Apr 2, 2017 |
The story, No, David!, has a mischievous little boy that gets into trouble every turn of the page. David is constantly told no by his mother for things like picking his nose to using the kitchen wall as his canvas. David lives in a world of his own exploring and experimenting with zero regard for rules. His mother is always saying no until the end when all David wanted was a hug and his mother expressed his love. The central message of the story is that no matter how many times you mess up or get in trouble, your mother will always love you. ( )
  MaiaBlaise | Mar 28, 2017 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:16 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,764,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible