No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (original 1998; edition 1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

Member:aclemen1
Title:No, David!
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Blue Sky Press (1998), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:week 5, love, children, behavior

No, David! by David Shannon (1998)

English (236)  Spanish (1)  All languages (237)
No, David!
Bryan O'Keeffe

This book was really great. I did not think I would enjoy a book that was so simple, but I did. The majority of the book was all one repeated line, "No, David!" It was very easy to read because of that. I was able to read through this book very quickly. The illustrations really helped make the book comical. But at the same time give the feeling of being the parent telling David no. David seemed like a normal kid who likes to get in trouble. The only difference being that David has a disability. He got in trouble for doing everything. Mainly because everything he did was not good. I enjoyed that the pictures told the entire story rather than the words. I think the simplicity was the correct choice by the author. However the end of the book was really happy because David was not always bad. That really leads into the message of the book, don't let bad things get in the way of love. ( )
  bokeef2 | Nov 10, 2014 |
I love this book! I enjoy the illustrations and the simplistic plot. The illustrations contain drawings that resemble an actual child's drawing. The illustrations made me feel like a child and I was able to put myself in David's shoes. For example, the drawing of David uses basic shapes that young children use to draw people. David is composed of a circle head, oval torso, and rectangular arms and legs. His nose and teeth are triangles. This makes the drawings more realistic and allows the readers to connect with the story more easily.
The plot of this book is simple which makes it easy for young readers to follow along and comprehend the text. Young readers can follow and remember the short phrases. The repetition of some of the words, such as "no" and "David", allow readers to participate in read alouds.
The main message of this story is that even when you misbehave your family will still love you. ( )
  jessicaedelman | Oct 20, 2014 |
In my opinion, I liked the book “No, David!” by David Shannon. I really enjoyed looking at the illustrations. The illustrations took up the entire page(s), and were colored with bright colors. The illustrations were a big part of this book because they explained what was happening in the book and why David’s mom screamed “No, David, No!” all of the time. I also liked the characters. The two characters in the book were David and his mom. Throughout the story, the reader sees all the things David does wrong and why his mom yells at him all the time. The characters are relatable. I think many kids can relate to their parents raising their voice at them for something that they have done wrong. The big idea of this story is to listen to your parents instead of misbehaving. ( )
  amulve2 | Oct 8, 2014 |
David is always in trouble. His mother is always telling him "No!" because he does not listen. At the end of the day his mother still loves him. ( )
  acreel | Sep 30, 2014 |
Summary
This book is about a kid names David who gets into everything. He always have his mom telling him no. No matter what it is David is told no. But in the end his mom stills takes the time to let David know that she stills love him.

Personal Reaction
I absolutely love this book. When I first discovered this book it was at my job in the toddler room. The kids love "No, David". It reminds me so much of my toddlers in the classroom. It also reminds me so much of my middle son always telling him no because he is so inguisitive. But in the end I always tell him I love him.

Classroom extension
1. I would use this book as a way to talk about feelings. I would ask the children how do you think David feels always being told no or how do the mom feels.
2. In the classroom I would post pictures of David next to some rules so the children will know what we are not supposed to do.
  theresa.moultrie | Sep 25, 2014 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,919,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible