No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (original 1998; edition 1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

Member:aclemen1
Title:No, David!
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Blue Sky Press (1998), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:week 5, love, children, behavior

No, David! by David Shannon (1998)

English (260)  Spanish (1)  All languages (261)
This semi-autobiographical story had us both giggling as I was reading it to my nephew. It made me wish I had been a bit more disobedient and hope my kids will not be anything close like David.
This Caldecott Honor Book Award winner depicts a childhood indiscretion that children will find hilarious on each vivid double-page illustration. I find it very well suited to be read aloud as the parents' voice of discipline lends itself extremely well to winkle out extra laughs. However, the fact that there never seem to be any consequences to his actions and the parent never uses reinforcers to alter his behavior troubles me a little. I understand that it's important for children to know that they are loved even when they're misbehaving but the lack of parenting on the mother's part seems to suggest that negative consequences (not punishment) for bad behavior makes kids believe they are not loved. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Feb 27, 2015 |
“No, David!” is a book about the a child who is doing all the things children should not do such as climbing on furniture, tracking mud through the house, playing with his food, running down the street naked and so on. Throughout the book on every page David is being told no do not do what you are doing, by his mother. She is trying to let him know that the thing he is doing is not good behavior. At the end of the book David’s mother finally says yes, which is yes I love you David.

I really like this book because people can relate to what is going on in the story, such as when David is playing with his food and his mother says “Don’t play with your food”. I can relate to this because when I was younger I would always play with my food at the table and my mother would tell me to stop. Another reason I like this book is that when David is being mischievous he is drawn big with sharp teeth. An example of this is when David is chewing with his mouth open and a lot of food in it, his head and mouth are drawn huge and he has very sharp teeth in those pages.

Overall I like this book because people can relate to the things that David was doing in the book when they look back at their childhood. Another reason I like it is that it shows no matter how bad you are as a child your mother will always love you. ( )
  bwinte3 | Feb 24, 2015 |
After reading this book, I had mixed feelings. The book is written and illustrated by the same man. The illustrations are well done and look like a good amount of effort went into them. The main character is a young boy named David. Many children would be able to relate to David because it seems like he is constantly being told no or is in trouble. However, the majority of the dialogue is "No, David!" I feel like more could have been done with the writing. Overall, the big message is that even though we may get in trouble, we still have someone that loves us for who we are. ( )
  mzellh1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
I love that children can relate to this book because they hear the word "No" all the time. It's also fun for them to tell David "No" and be like the parent.
  jdhaynes | Feb 13, 2015 |
This book is about a little boy name David that gets into Everything! his mom is constantly telling him no!
I like this book because toddlers and small children can definitely relate to David. the words are simple and the colors are bright.
classroom extension: I will allow the children to recall a time when they were told no. ( )
  TameitriaJ | Feb 11, 2015 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,697,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible