No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (original 1998; edition 1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

Title:No, David!
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Blue Sky Press (1998), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:week 5, love, children, behavior

No, David! by David Shannon (1998)

English (364)  Spanish (1)  All languages (365)
No, David! remains a perennial household favorite, delighting children, parents, and teachers alike. David is a beloved character, whose unabashed good humor, mischievous smile, and laughter-inducing antics underline the love parents have for their children — even when they misbehave. Children will find his outrageously bad behavior both funny and liberating as they see themselves in him.
  KNealy20 | Oct 25, 2016 |
This is another favorite of mine for reading to the children that I babysit for. I really like originality of this story because many children's books seek to teach proper behavior but this story shows the reality of raising toddlers in a humorous way. Kids love this book because they can relate to almost everything that David gets in trouble for. I like how the illustrations are funny and unique. I also the repetitions in this book ("No, David"). I believe the message could be to show kids what not to do, but also show them that getting in trouble is a part of learning and growing up. ( )
  mdinar2 | Oct 20, 2016 |
In each scene David is doing something naughty and gets scolded by his mother. It is a journey of David finding his way.

This book would be perfect for a kindergarten class. David does things that many children do at that age and adds a humor to it. There are very few words in this story but the illustrations are great and humorous. Even though he makes many mistakes his mother still loves him and that is important for children to see.
  Lizjensen | Oct 16, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. I liked the way that the writing and words on the pages were displayed because it felt like a kid could have wrote them which gives the book a creative feel and will make children feel comfortable reading it. What I didn't like was how there really wasn't a storyline to the book. We know that David isn't necessarily a good kid but there wasn't any dialogue or even enough words on the pages to describe it. I also didn't really enjoy some of the pictures because they were kind of creepy looking and graphic. What I did like was how at the end the mother wasn't always disciplining David. The main idea of this book would most likely be that we will get in trouble for things that we shouldn't do but that our parents still manage to love us in the end.
  MackenzieVenezia | Oct 4, 2016 |
I liked this book for a variety of reasons. For one, I love how the writing for this book is simple and easy to read for young children learning to read. Examples of text on the pages are, "Not in the house, David!" or "Settle down!" Most of the sentences are ended with explanation points which is very engaging when read aloud with enthusiasm. The next thing I really like about this book is the main character, David. He's a young boy in the book who seems to loves to cause trouble. Whether it be playing ball in the house or jumping on his bed at night, he is always doing something that his mother says he shouldn't. I think David is a character that young children can relate to because I'm sure they've done a lot of the same things David has done. The illustrations are magnificent as they depict David doing all of his mischievous activities. The pictures fit perfectly with the written text as they show David doing things his mother said not to. The message of this story is the part of this book that makes it an award winner. David goes through the entire book misbehaving and not listening to his mother until the end when he accidentally breaks his mothers vase and his put in time-out. David cries and feels very bad for what he's done but is comforted by his mother on the last page where she says, "Yes, David... I love you." It's a great story as it shows children that mistakes are going to happen sometimes and that's okay. ( )
  johngipe | Oct 3, 2016 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:16 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,796,532 books! | Top bar: Always visible