No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (original 1998; edition 1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

Member:aclemen1
Title:No, David!
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Blue Sky Press (1998), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:week 5, love, children, behavior

No, David! by David Shannon (1998)

English (230)  Spanish (1)  All languages (231)
Summary: "No, David" is about David Shannon experience as a child misbehaving and not listening to his mother, because he had chosen not to listen to his mom. He go in trouble many times until the end of the story. This book is also a Caldecott award winner

Personal Reflection: i personally like how the book font is written, it is more appealing to children because it does not look like it was computer generated. as well as the pictures in the book is very vivid, and it shows everything wrong David has done. I think its fun and silly, and very simple for the children to understand, and its not long enough so they would not lose focus.

classroom extension: 1. ask the children if they have ever acted like David, and then explain to them that they have to listen to their parents because if they don't they could get hurt.
2. give each child a piece of paper tell them that they have to draw and write a story similar to "No David" and then put each of the pictures into one big book. on display for the whole classroom
  pambam_11 | Sep 17, 2014 |
Summary: david is a troublesome little boy who often hears the word "no".
david is doing things like walking in with muddy shoes, jumping off of things and acting like a crazy little boy.

Personal reaction: I actually thought the book was a little intimidating. The phrase "no, david" was used in exclamation repetitivly. My son loves this book but i believe it is because he can relate...always doing something crazy.

Extension Ideas: 1.) I would have my class give me some examples on why their parents say "no" to them...write them down in list form and then have the children give me reasons why their parents do not want them doing these things.

2.) i would have the children write a letter to their parents, addressing some of these examples and how they will work hard to improve on these areas. ( )
  stephanierouse | Sep 16, 2014 |
As much as children may love this book when reading at such a young age, I hate to say that I do not think that this is a good book to be reading to your children. This book is basically about David getting into trouble, and being naughty, and repeatedly answering “No!” to his parents when asked to stop something. That right there is the main reason I don’t think this is a good children’s book. This teaches the children reading it that they can misbehave and not listen to the instructions that their parents and/or teachers give to them. Going off of that, I don’t like how the illustrations show David as such a mean little boy with a potato head and pointed teeth with a grin that shows he is up to no good. I think that many children like to almost imitate what they read, and after they read this book, they could imitate his rude, naughtiness. Finally, I do not mean to hate on this book so much, but I don’t see much of a message or a plot to it rather than David saying “No” the entire story, and then his mom still loving him in the end. ( )
  margan1 | Sep 16, 2014 |
1. Summary- This book is about a little boy named David who's always getting told, "No David!", by his mother. Whether it's drawing on walls, running naked through the street, or playing baseball in the house,he is always getting into trouble. But at the end of the book, his mother tells him she loves him even though she has to tell him no a lot.

2. Personal Reaction- I like this book because of the silly illustrations. Also, David is a very mischievous kid who just likes to have fun, even though his fun gets him into trouble. He's exactly how I was growing up.

3. Classroom Extension Ideas- 1.I could use this book in the classroom by showing the kids that even though their parents may get onto them or tell them no, that they still love them.
2. I could also use this book to teach the kids that there are some things that may be funny in this book, but that they are not appropriate.
  KelseaSchlumbohm | Sep 9, 2014 |
Summary: This book is about a little boy named David who is very ornery. He doesn't listen to his mother very well and he is always getting into trouble. He makes a lot of messes and has a hard time at obeying the rules. Throughout the whole big David's mom continuously has to tell him "no", until the end.

Personal reflection: I thought this book was a really cute book. I loved all the pictures because it helped portray David as a very messy child. I like how this book was about a little boy disobeying the rules because a lot of kids can relate and learn from the book.

Classroom extension: 1. For this book activity I would have a group talk about how all the kids should always listen to their parents.
2. For another activity I would start a thing where is one of the kids starting acting up I will call them David and remix them of how David acted and why being a "David" is not a good thing. Although I would not do this if I had a child in the classroom names David.
  brittanyblakesley | Sep 3, 2014 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible