No, David! by David Shannon

No, David! (original 1998; edition 1998)

by David Shannon

Series: David (1)

Member:aclemen1
Title:No, David!
Authors:David Shannon
Info:Blue Sky Press (1998), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:week 5, love, children, behavior

No, David! by David Shannon (1998)

English (225)  Spanish (1)  All languages (226)
love the pictures and bright colors ( )
  kelleyhar | Jul 20, 2014 |
Summary:
This story is about little David always being told "no" by his mother. Everytime he trys to do anything his mother always says "no David" or "David go to your room". At the end of the book his mother surprises him by saying "yes David, I love you".

Personal Experience:
I have a connection to this book because I am always telling my children "no" like David's mother. Although at the end of the day I am always reassuring my children that I love them. You get cought up in a days busy work and somethimes just naturally say "no" all the time, but need to try to step back and really listen to the kids.

Classroom Extension:
1. I could have my students give an example of something their parents tell them "no" about.
2. Have the students discuss why david is being told "no" all the time. ( )
  shelby22 | Jul 11, 2014 |
Summary: This book is about a young boy named David. This little boy gets into everything, just like a little boy. And because he gets into everything he is always getting into trouble. This book is about his adventures.

Personal Reaction: My youngest son had this book. I cannot remember where he got it from but he enjoyed it. I believe he could relate to this book since he was a little boy also.

Extension Ideas: 1. Discuss with the class why David gets in trouble. 2. Have a student read the book to the class.
  dianehan | Jul 5, 2014 |
No, David! is the Caldecott Award wining auto-biography of author David Shannon. The brightly colored cartoon illustrations bring to life the tale of this naughty young boy.
  kfh2 | Jun 8, 2014 |
Classic story about David who can't stop getting himself into trouble. He runs around naked, plays with his food, and picks his nose. The book ends with a happy ending, as his mother hugs him and tells him he loves him despite how mischievous he is. ( )
  eilawest | May 27, 2014 |

The story "No, David!" is a story about a little troublemaker named David. David gets in all sorts of trouble and tends to break everything in his home. However, his parent(s) reaction and discipline for his bad behavior is just "No, David!" David sees no wrong in his misbehavior, but finds it fun and entertaining for him. Does David learn his lesson and starts to behave? Read and find out. This is a great story to read to children who struggle to pay attention in class. It is an easy read with simple and repetitve text.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0590930028, Hardcover)

Parents will be quick to jump to the conclusion that there can be nothing appealing in a tale of an ugly kid who breaks things. And certainly--from that adult perspective--there's something off-putting about the illustrations of David, with his potato head, feral eyes, and a maniacal grin that exposes ferociously pointed teeth. But 3- and 4-year-olds see things differently, and will find his relentless badness both funny and liberating. "No, David," wails the off-stage mother, as David reaches for the cookie jar. "No! No! No!" as he makes a swamp out of the bathroom. "Come back here, David!" as he runs naked down the street. Each vivid double-page illustration is devoted to a different youthful indiscretion and a different vain parental plea. Readers will be amused to know that the protagonist's name is no accident: award-winning writer-illustrator David Shannon wrote the book after discovering a similar effort that he had made, again with himself at the center of each drawing, at the age of 5. (Ages 3 to 6) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

A young boy is depicted doing a variety of naughty things for which he is repeatedly admonished, but finally he gets a hug.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible