Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters…

Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue (original 1962; edition 1991)

by Maurice Sendak

Member:ablachly
Title:Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue
Authors:Maurice Sendak
Info:HarperTrophy (1991), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Jasper's Books
Tags:fiction, children's

Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue by Maurice Sendak (1962)

This little book by Maurice Sendak is about a naughty little boy whose favorite words are "I don't care!" His whiny apathy leads him to be swallowed by a lion while his parents are in town. Pierre is, of course, freed from the lion, and afterwards he does care about his life and about making decisions. While this book is very fantastical and borders on violence, the theme of Sendak's story is the importance of caring and taking control of one's own decisions. It is a little much for younger children to swallow and they may be frightened of the lion, but perhaps for second graders and a little older it would be a fun book to read while teaching them about self-importance and self-esteem. I really enjoyed this book as a child and even now, and I think Sendak's illustrations are funny and engaging. ( )
  Lara.Lofdahl | Apr 1, 2014 |
Part of my quest to read all of Sendak's books. I don't remember reading this one when I was a child. It certainly is heavy-handed. The nice thing about Sendak's drawings is that they're not too flowery or complicated. There are no background to distract the child. Sometimes over-done drawings in children's books are nice, but sometimes it's just as nice to get one's point across. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
Pierre:
"A story
with a moral air
about Pierre,
who learned
to care." ( )
1 vote rainpebble | Jul 5, 2013 |
This a tale of a quarrelsome lad named Pierre who haughtily responded to every statement of question with "I don't care."

Until one day he responded to the Lion that he did not care if the Lion ate him. After a rescue from the stomach of the lion, Pierre indeed began to care.

The moral of the story...you may not appreciate life until you run the risk of losing it. ( )
  Whisper1 | Jun 12, 2013 |
I remember enjoying reading this story to my students, and I also enjoyed the cassette tape (at the time) of the story put to song, sung by Carole King. Cute story about a little boy with an attitude who gets eaten by a lion. When he gets shaken back out of the lion, he has a whole new attitude! :) ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064432521, Paperback)

Oh, that naughty boy! No matter what his parents say, Pierre just doesn't care.
"What would you like to eat?"
"I don't care!"
"Some lovely cream of wheat?"
"I don't care!"
Don't sit backwards on your chair."
"I don't care!"
"Or pour syrup on your hair."
"I don't care!"

Even when a hungry lion comes to pay a call, Pierre won't snap out of his ennui. Every child has one of these days sometimes. Mix in a stubborn nature, a touch of apathy, and a haughty pout, and it can turn noxious. Parents may cajole, scold, bribe, threaten--all to no avail. When this mood strikes, the Pierres of the world will not budge, even for the carnivorous king of beasts. Created by one of the best-loved author-illustrators of children's books, Maurice Sendak, this 1962 cautionary tale is hardly a pedantic diatribe against children who misbehave. Still, by the end of the lilting, witty story, most children will take the moral (Care!) to heart. Pierre's downward-turned eyebrows, his parents' pleading faces, and the lion's almost sympathetic demeanor as he explains that he will soon eat Pierre, make the package perfect. (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:54 -0400)

A boy tells everyone he doesn't care until a lion shows him that there could be good reasons to care.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,246,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible