Quatrain by Sharon Shinn
181965,444 (3.81)10
    Summers at Castle Auburn by Sharon Shinn (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Quatrain contains the novella "Gold", which tells the story of the daughter of Corie, the protagonist of Summers at Castle Auburn.

I'm so happy I read this book finally, these stories were so entertaining!

Flight made me very excited to finally read the Samaria books, but by itself it was a very good story and seemed really well-rounded for a new reader. I was confused at first while reading Blood, never having read the other book where the story takes place, but it pulled me in after awhile. I'll definitely be checking out some of her other books. In Gold I was very happy to be back in the world where Summers at Castle Auburn took place, I didn't like Zara at first but she grew on me. Flame was just as I expected it to be: awesome. The Twelve Houses series were the first books I read by Sharon Shinn and I've loved them ever since; Senneth being my favorite of the group. So of course I had to get this book to read about her adventures before Mystic and Rider begins, and I wasn't disappointed; I loved the extra info we got about her in this book, and I love that Kirra and Donnal make an appearance too! If I didn't have so many other books to read I would be re reading the Twelve Houses books right now. ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Sep12:

Characters: I pretty much liked them all. Pretty well developed for 4 short stories.

Plots: Good amount of bits for the short stories.

Style: Pretty much classic Sharon Shinn. ( )
  Isamoor | Oct 14, 2012 |
Overall the stories were enjoyable reads, I liked the small glimpses of the different worlds - and peoples/races in the stories. The author is very creative in this regard, and for Blood and Flame, I would like to learn more about the races in the book, and read more stories about them.

I enjoyed Flame, but felt it needed to be a longer story, it felt rushed, and parts left out. Blood and Gold had a few questions unanswered, and I would read more stories about them, but I felt in both cases the story was finished off, some questions left unanswered, but I was satisfied with the ending.

Gold was interesting, but wasn't fantastic, I felt that Princess Zara could have used some work, she was the typical spoiled princess, so I found it hard to get into the story at first, because of her character.
The only one I disliked was Flight. I'd rather not have read that on at all - I didn't like the story, characters or plot, and felt that some characters were cookie-cutter characters - the archangel is one example. The story just didn't work for me, and was glad that it was a short one.

I'd have to say my favourite was probably Blood, and I hope there are other stories based on the world it took place in. I'd also read more stories based on the worlds in Gold and Flame.

Also on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - Quatrain ( )
  bookwormjules | Jun 5, 2011 |
Overall Satisfaction: ★★1/2
Intellectual Satisfaction: ★1/2
Emotional Satisfaction: ★★★
Read this for: The world-building*
Don't read this for: The themes
Bechdel Test: Pass
Johnson Test: Fail
Books I was reminded of: Just the ones this volume references: Archangel, Heart of Gold, Summers at Castle Auburn, and Mystic and Rider.
Will I read more by this author? I suppose.

This was a deeply disappointing collection for me. It doesn't work for two reasons. The first is that, to borrow Jo Walton's phrasing, the first book in any of Shinn's series always blows me away, then each successive volume is only half as good as the one before. Two of the four novellas in this volume are set in the worlds of Shinn's two longest series, and those two novellas have reached only homeopathically good territory. The second reason is that I just don't think Shinn is capable of writing stories with the sort of thematic freight she attempted here -- the two non-series novellas are drawn from two of her more message-heavy novels, and the two series novellas attempt to address some of the seriously thorny issues inherent but not really addressed in her previous world-building.

Still, it's the sort of volume that if you are a Sharon Shinn completist, you simply have to read it. And since her prose is always pleasant and easy to read it goes very, very quickly.

Descriptions and reviews of each novella on my blog. ( )
  PhoenixFalls | May 4, 2011 |
Four novellas set in the worlds’ of Shinn’s other books.

Flight set in the world of the Samaria series - A former angel-seeker now worries that her niece will follow the same path. Enjoyable but felt a bit rushed.

Blood set in the world of [Heart of Gold] – A Gulden man’s search for his mother in the capital city. Loved this one – all of the characters were complex which is a treat in a novella.

Gold set in the world of [Summers at Castle Auburn] – A princess is spirited away to an addictive fairy land to avoid a war. My favorite in this book, quite a mesmerizing world.

Flame set in the world of the Twelve Houses series - A prequel to the Twelve Houses series in which Senneth finds herself in trouble in a small town when her magical abilities are realized. The weakest of the four, there was little plot to speak of. ( )
  janepriceestrada | Mar 21, 2011 |
For my readers, how have asked for more stories in these worlds,
and for Lesley, who named Orlain for me
Finally the rain stopped.

Anthology that features novellas set in the worlds of Archangel, Heart of Gold, Summers at Castle Auburn, and Mystic and Rider.

Compelling stories in four of the worlds that readers love in Flight, Blood, Gold and Flame.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,127,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible