World of Pies by Karen Stolz

World of Pies (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Karen Stolz

Member:ConfettiDreams
Title:World of Pies
Authors:Karen Stolz
Info:Hyperion (2000), Edition: 1st Edition/1st Printing, Paperback

World of Pies: A Novel by Karen Stolz (2000)

Funny that a book can be so different than expected beforehand. World of Pies was a supplementary mooch from Bookmooch. A book a expected to be chicklit and picked up to quickly read it and put on Bookmooch again. The book was a quick read and relaxing, but totally different than I expected.

I expected a book where baking pies was the most important topic. When I browsed through the book I already had seen some recipes. But they're not only cakes. Only the first of the ten chapters has pies as the main topic.

In ten chapters describe the life of Roxanne from the moment she is twelve until the moment her daughter is twelve. The life of a teenager growing up in Annette, a town in Texas in the 1960s. The time between the different stories/chapters is at least a year, often much more. But the important things in a young womans life are described. And the ambiance fits my feelings about America in that period (think Mad men, although I only saw a few episodes). The murder of Kennedy is mentioned and the Vietnam war plays a major role. The background of the stories is real.

The book fascinated me and I can't tell you exactly why. Probably the harmony in the family, the important things that happen to Roxanne and the wish it goes her well. Definitely a recommended read!

http://boekenwijs.blogspot.com/2011/08/world-of-pies.html ( )
  boekenwijs | Aug 28, 2011 |
The delightful World of Pies opens in 1962 in the small Texan town of Annette. When we first meet the heroine, Roxanne is struggling between her love of baseball and her mother’s desire to teach her to bake pies. Roxanne is twelve but, as each chapter unveils a different time in her life we see her go through a whole gambit of emotions and events. From the sweet new feeling of developing a crush, to the more serious events, Roxanne’s life unfolds before us chapter to chapter. In the background, we see the events that shaped America through the sixties, from Kennedy’s assassination to Viet Nam.

What I liked best about this book was the strong, stable family that the author has given Roxanne. No matter what life dealt them, and there was some sadness, they were there for each other regardless. Social and political events are mentioned in passing but the bulk of the story is of Roxanne and her family. I felt a personal attachment to this character as we are about the same age, so her coming-of-age years were mine as well. At the end of some chapters the author supplies recipes for the sweet treats that are always brought to family gatherings, I actually recognized some of the recipes as ones that I too grew up with. As her life comes full circle and we are once again back to pies, I sighed with contentment at this big-hearted story.

I have never read a book by Karen Stolz before, and I actually just stumbled on this one while browsing the library shelves but I can guarantee that I will be on the lookout for any other titles by this author. My trip to Annette, Texas was a rich and rewarding reading experience. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Jul 9, 2011 |
I want to read this book again! ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
A good light summer read. The story comes full circle in a tale told by the daughter from her early childhood through marriage. ( )
  chikkagrl | Jul 7, 2008 |
okay, didn't love it ( )
  bugs5 | Jun 27, 2008 |
For my mom and dad, who gave me the gifts of a small-town childhood and their love of words, and for my brave and true sisters, Maggie and Katie, and for my son Danny, who is my heart and soul.
The summer of 1962, the year of the pie fair, I was wild for baseball.

Roxanne is twelve years old and wild for baseball in 1962, the year of the pie-baking contest that will change her life forever. Life in the small town of Annette, TX, has be idyllic, cozy; until this summer, Roxanne's toughest choices have revolved around whether to wear an apron while she helps her mother in the kitchen of whether to pitch underhand or over. THe summer of 1962 brings Roxanne her first glimpse of a life that isn't always fair or even very nive, and though she always ends up returning to the warmth and pleasures of small-town life, Roxanne will be pushed into growing up a little faster after this summer. We will follow the arc of a girl
s life as she grows to womanhood. From crushes to surprise baby sisters to nail polish to a devastating death, Roxanne is our guide through a life that has moments of tenderness, poignancy, sorrow, and great humor, as well as some pretty great baking moments (recipes included)

Finally in paperback!

In this remarkable debut work from author Karen Stolz, readers follow the arc of a girl's life as she grows to womanhood. From crushes to surprise baby sisters to nail polish to a devastating death, Roxanne is our guide through a life that has moments of tenderness, poignancy, sorrow, and great humor, as well as some wonderful baking memories. A sumptuous novel -- though like the best pie, tart in all the right places.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:27 -0400)

In a small town in Texas in the 1960s, young Roxanne journeys toward adulthood as she copes with a pie-baking contest that becomes a lesson in racial politics, a crush on the new female postal worker, and the death of her father and her mother's remarriage.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,734,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible