The World, the Flesh and the Devil by Reay…

The World, the Flesh and the Devil

by Reay Tannahill

Historical novel set in 15th century Scotland. Stewarts and Camerons galore, church and political intrigue, forbidden love...what more could a reader ask for? ( )
  avanta7 | Apr 24, 2009 |
I'm not sure I would have finished this book had I not read positive reviews of it on HistoricalFiction.org. I was nearly 100 pages into it before I seemed to care very much about any of the characters. However, I'm glad I stuck with it. It was an interesting and entertaining story, with a bit of Scots history which was new to me.

Much of the conflict is between two powerful figures in the Catholic Church: Columba Crozier and Gavin John Cameron. Columba's niece is Ninian, secretly in love with Gavin, but blindly loyal to Columba.

Rebellion, murder, revenge, political and romantic intrigue.

Recommended ( )
  lindymc | Aug 2, 2008 |
There were some inconsistancies here that drove me nuts. Like how can you quote Shakespeare if he hasn't even been born yet? Gah! But I loved the heroine and the history was really interesting. I don't get it I was a horrible history student in school. But I love, love, love to get my history from fiction. Go figure.

This is not literature, but who cares? If you want an escapist read that's entertaining and a smidgen educational this is it. ( )
  Clueless | May 12, 2008 |

Leaving her home in the sunbleached courts of Avignon, gently nurtured, seventeen-year-old Ninian rides into the darkness and strife of Scotland to marry a stranger.

Her path crosses that of Gavin Cameron of Kinveil, priest and Chancellor of Scotland. Laconic, ambitious and handsome, he is the one man the Stewart king dares to trust, the one man strong enough to save the kingdom from the civil war planned by the charming, implacable Archdeacon Columba Crozier and his bastard sun, Adam de Verne.

Tied by blood on one side and by an overwhelming - and forbidden - love on the other, Ninian, growing from her careless girlhood into a beautiful woman and an artist of brilliance and power, is precipitated into violence and tragedy, in which she, too, has a vital part to play.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible