The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck

The Road Less Traveled (1978)

by M. Scott Peck

English (32)  French (1)  All languages (33)
The Road Less Traveled has staked a permanent claim to publishing history. In this, the second in a series of audio progrms based on his landmark work, M. Scott Peck explores love, our key to personal growth and fulfillment. Dr Peck offers both case histories and personal experience in an attempt to define what it is we mean by love and to clairy the confusions and misconceptions that arise in our thinking about it. From the ecstacy of falling in love, to the loving feeling htat lacks the will to loving action, The Road Less Traveled: Love cuts through powerful, timeless myths to bring us to a deeper understanding of its nature, as an action that demands of us courage and discipline. Discover with Dr. Peck love's beautiful irony, which ensures our growth just as we extend ourselves for the growth of our loved ones. No other work on this subject has had such an impact, for no other writer can speak of it with such wisdom, penetration - and love.
  BurnFundLib | Jan 27, 2016 |
Part One: DISCIPLINE - read by the author. "The mini mental bestseller that's helped millions find their way." Hailed by the Washington Post as "a spontaneous act of generosity" The Road Less Traveled provides an inspirational framework for achieving profound personal growth and satisfaction. Now Dr. Peck, a practicing psychiatrist, reads from his extraordinary work in the first of a series of audio programs drawn from the book.

Dr. Peck's crucial premise - that life is hard - is challenging for even the strongest among us, but his art lies in his ability to lead us to accept and ultimately transcend, this idea. The key is DISCIPLINE, and with Dr. Peck's assistance, you will learn to master the four principles of discipline needed for every healthy life- affirming act: 1) Delaying Gratification
2) Accepting Responsibility 3) Dedication to Reality 4) Balancing.

The Road Less Traveled is a landmark. Never before have psychological and spiritual guidance come together so powerfully. It's not the easiest road - but it is the only one worth taking. Let Dr. Peck's remarkable achievement help you find your way as you journey today, and every day of your life.
  BurnFundLib | Jan 27, 2016 |
Interesting book about spiritual growth. Written from the point of view of a psychotherapist it primarily looks at what we mean by love in its broadest sense. There's an overview of various psychological conditions, and a look at how some people manage to overcome them, with or without the help of a therapist.

Fascinating insights, often thought-provoking in the earlier chapters. Towards the end the author looks at the subject of 'grace' from a pseudo-Christian perspective. He gives rational and logical reasons for the existence of God, but then suggests (in somewhat New Age style) that God is the sum total of our unconscious minds, and that our most important aim in life is not so much to become like God, but to become part of him.

Worth reading despite now being twenty-five years out of date; could make interesting discussion material. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Interesting but...I don't know, it seemed kind of much. Glad I finally read it but don't think I'll sift thru it again to mine its teachings. Feel like it could have been presented in a little easier way at times. ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
rating 3.25 in this book Peck discusses why we are who we are. he discusses how our childhood with have a huge hand in shaping us into who we are as growups. He points out sometimes its not a good shaping and we need to be reshaped by digging through some of the junk we acquired. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
This book is truly a classic in the field of psycho therapy. It deals in n insightful way with the causes and solutions of neurosis among other problems we all deal with in our lives. It gave me an insight to why my 22 and 21 years old are like they are. I could have been a better father who had more consideration of how my personality affected them. I learn more about myself everytime I read it. It is written in a manner that is entertaining rather than dry.
I am happy I have read this wonderful book.

Four Noble Truths of Buddah
To my parents, Elizabeth and David, whose discipline and love gave me the eyes to see grace.
Life is difficult.
Neurosis is always a substitute for legitimate suffering. - Carl Jung

Perhaps o book in this generation has had a more profound impact on our intellectual and spiritual lives than The Road Less Traveled. With sales of more than 7 million copies in the United States and Canada, and translation into more than 23 languages, it has made publishing history, with more than 10 years on The New York Times bestseller list.

Told in a voice that is timeless in its measure of understanding, The Road Less Traveled continues to unable us to explore the nature of loving relationships and leads us toward a new serenity and fullness of life. It help us determine how to distinguish dependency from love; how to become a more sensitive parent; and ultimately how to become one's own true self.

Recognizing that "Life is difficult" and that the journey to spiritual growth is a long one, Dr. Peck never bullies his listeners, but but gently guides them through the hard and often painful process of change toward a higher level of self-understanding.

Combining profound psychological insight and deep spirituality, this is an audiobook that provides inspiration and understanding. As Phyllis Theroux wrote in The Washington Post when the original edition of The Road Less Traveled was first published, "It is not just a book but a spontaneous act of generosity"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:43 -0400)

Perhaps no book has had a more profound impact on intellectual and spiritual lives than "The Road Less Traveled." In his new Introduction, Dr. Peck recalls how this book evolved from his own early ideas as a therapist who was just beginning his own spiritual growth.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,257,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible