The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck

The Road Less Traveled (1978)

by M. Scott Peck

English (30)  French (1)  All languages (31)
Interesting book about spiritual growth. Written from the point of view of a psychotherapist it primarily looks at what we mean by love in its broadest sense. There's an overview of various psychological conditions, and a look at how some people manage to overcome them, with or without the help of a therapist.

Fascinating insights, often thought-provoking in the earlier chapters. Towards the end the author looks at the subject of 'grace' from a pseudo-Christian perspective. He gives rational and logical reasons for the existence of God, but then suggests (in somewhat New Age style) that God is the sum total of our unconscious minds, and that our most important aim in life is not so much to become like God, but to become part of him.

Worth reading despite now being twenty-five years out of date; could make interesting discussion material. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Interesting but...I don't know, it seemed kind of much. Glad I finally read it but don't think I'll sift thru it again to mine its teachings. Feel like it could have been presented in a little easier way at times. ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
rating 3.25 in this book Peck discusses why we are who we are. he discusses how our childhood with have a huge hand in shaping us into who we are as growups. He points out sometimes its not a good shaping and we need to be reshaped by digging through some of the junk we acquired. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
I had deliberately ignored this book since it was published to great acclaim many years ago, as I don't read self-help books, but it was there on the shelf in the beach house and I got curious. Two thirds of it was, I thought, a very thoughtful description of the manner in which psychotherapy can help a patient, although some of the casual assumptions of gender roles were howlers from 35 years ago, and Peck is writing from a perspective before the great advances in brain imaging and understanding of the physical and chemical processes of the brain.

That said, I still detected a bit of preening from time to time, a self-commendation for his great skill.

The last third was a bit more trying for me, as it deals with the relationship of spiritual growth (which he equates with mental growth) to a relationship with God. He tries hard to allow all versions of this relationship with God - as a world view it is very useful. But he is clearly a believer (and I am not) and his later text has that proselytizing feel underneath.

When I brought it up to Jim, he was of the opinion that Peck said nothing new, but I thought he said it gracefully, with only the appropriate number of examples, unlike most of the self-help books these days, which are flooded with them. So it was an ok read for me, and I'm glad I know what the fuss has been about. ( )
  ffortsa | Sep 18, 2015 |
This book is truly a classic in the field of psycho therapy. It deals in n insightful way with the causes and solutions of neurosis among other problems we all deal with in our lives. It gave me an insight to why my 22 and 21 years old are like they are. I could have been a better father who had more consideration of how my personality affected them. I learn more about myself everytime I read it. It is written in a manner that is entertaining rather than dry.
I am happy I have read this wonderful book.

Four Noble Truths of Buddah
To my parents, Elizabeth and David, whose discipline and love gave me the eyes to see grace.
Life is difficult.
Neurosis is always a substitute for legitimate suffering. - Carl Jung

Perhaps o book in this generation has had a more profound impact on our intellectual and spiritual lives than The Road Less Traveled. With sales of more than 7 million copies in the United States and Canada, and translation into more than 23 languages, it has made publishing history, with more than 10 years on The New York Times bestseller list.

Told in a voice that is timeless in its measure of understanding, The Road Less Traveled continues to unable us to explore the nature of loving relationships and leads us toward a new serenity and fullness of life. It help us determine how to distinguish dependency from love; how to become a more sensitive parent; and ultimately how to become one's own true self.

Recognizing that "Life is difficult" and that the journey to spiritual growth is a long one, Dr. Peck never bullies his listeners, but but gently guides them through the hard and often painful process of change toward a higher level of self-understanding.

Combining profound psychological insight and deep spirituality, this is an audiobook that provides inspiration and understanding. As Phyllis Theroux wrote in The Washington Post when the original edition of The Road Less Traveled was first published, "It is not just a book but a spontaneous act of generosity"

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:43 -0400)

Perhaps no book has had a more profound impact on intellectual and spiritual lives than "The Road Less Traveled." In his new Introduction, Dr. Peck recalls how this book evolved from his own early ideas as a therapist who was just beginning his own spiritual growth.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,188,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible