First Lord's Fury by Jim Butcher

First Lord's Fury

by Jim Butcher

Series: Codex Alera (6)

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham (daschaich)
    daschaich: Although the tones and styles of the two series are quite different, Daniel Abraham's "Long Price" quartet shares some similar themes with the Codex Alera. Both depict a civilization stagnating from over-reliance on magic, and the magics share some similarities: while Butcher's Alerans control elementals of nature, Abraham's Khaiem can capture manifestations of ideas by perfectly and uniquely expressing those ideas. I might describe Abraham's writing as more introspective or melancholic than Butcher's, and I find Abraham's characters much more interesting on the whole: not so much heroic or villainous as they are "merely" human.… (more)

the final stand in Alera. The Vord queen has been corrupted" by human emotions, and Tavi makes the most of that. A last stand back in Calderon, Kitai and Tavi end up killing the Vord queen. Tavi becomes First Lord. Alera makes alliances with other races, in preparation for the time they will have to invade the Canim homeland to destroy the Vord there.

A good ending place, but leaving so many huge threads that sequels seem almost a given.

Update: According to Butcher, there will NOT be any more Codex Alera books, as he will be concentrating on that despicable villian Dresden that everybody seems to love, sigh.
Per this link:
http://www.jim-butcher.com/faq" ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Still like the books and the series. Still lots of action. Still a tiny bit of coming of age. FLF brings everything together. It's a little abrupt in ending. ( )
  lesmel | Aug 12, 2016 |
This was an amazing series with epic battles and amazing sword fights. I thought the fury magic was well done and gave the story a unique spin compared to what's already out there in the fantasy / science fiction genre. The character development was spot on, especially where Tavi was concerned. Butcher takes a young boy without fury skills and turns him into a powerful force. Loved it! I do hope he will write another trilogy for this series as there is so much more he can explore in this universe!

My only complaint would be about the names. I listened to this on audio with my husband and it was really difficult to keep the characters straight (especially in the beginning) as so many of them had similar sounding names, i.e. Atticus, Antillar, Attis, Aquitaine, Aria, Amara, etc., etc. I will probably re-read the series at some point as I know I confused a few characters here and there.

Seeing printed word is always easier, so consider this when you pick the media for this title. I highly recommend immersion reading if possible. Kate Reading does a fabulous job with this full cast of characters and has a wide range. Her males sound like males, her villains sound super-evil, and you have to hear her Vord queen...AMAZING!

I highly recommend this series!

Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this series. Thank you Mr. Butcher for giving us this different approach on magic and elemental abilities. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
In the final book of the series, Butcher has crafted a fine conclusion to the Codex Alera. In his usual fasion, Tavi thinks outside the box to get himself and the remaining Canim out of Canea, only to find themselves fighting the Vord for not only their lives but the entire future of Alera. He drags his remaining legions and the Canim refugees from one end of the continent to another to face the Vord Queen in a confrontation from which only one of them can emerge.

Overall I was pleased with the way Butcher concluded the series. There were some matters that I felt were a little to pat, a little to neatly solved, but I can see why Butcher chose to do what he did. In his usual fashion he managed to mix his typical dry and sarcastic humor seamlessly into events where you wouldn't expect to find it. I am greatly disappointed that there will be no more stories told of this world. It was richly developed and really enjoyable to read. I guess this means if I want to continue to get my Butcher fix I will have to try my hand at the Dresden Files. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cotton, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
del Rosario, KristinText designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, PriscillaMapsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For our own Knights and legionaires,
the men and women of the United States Armed Forces.
If you didn't do what you do, I couldn't do what I do. Thank you.
The steadholt was located several miles south of the ruined wasteland that had once been Alera Imperia, and it was an old one.

The savage Vord are on the march, and Gaius Octavian, first lord of Alera, must lead his legions to the Calderon Valley to stand against them--using all of his intelligence, ingenuity, and furycraft to save their world from eternal darkness.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible