Something Missing: A Novel by Matthew Dicks

Something Missing: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Matthew Dicks

Member:littlebookworm
Title:Something Missing: A Novel
Authors:Matthew Dicks
Info:Broadway (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:read 2011, contemporary fiction, arc

Something Missing by Matthew Dicks

Martin is a thief. He's different from other thieves because he breaks into the same houses repeatedly to steal things he thinks the owners won't notice are missing, such as a roll of toilet paper or a scoop of laundry detergent. It was fun for me to read about how he methodically catalogues the items in his "clients'" homes and the thing he takes. A part of me wishes I could be as OCD as him.

One member of my book club disliked Martin because she said he's just a criminal, but I grew to love Martin because he believed to have relationships with the homeowners even though he never met them, and he even cared about their lives. I love a story that makes you root for the bad guy.

This was truly a unique and exciting story. You should read it if you're ready for Something Different. ( )
  PaperbackPirate | Feb 18, 2014 |
My favorite thing about the book was the premise, which I thought was pretty clever. I wasn't as crazy about the writing and plot. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
So far, so good, and I really loved meeting the author. He seems like a great guy.
  nanfont | Aug 19, 2013 |
This is a fun book. I fell in love with Martin and wished he would steal stuff from my house (not really, although I do wonder where that laundry detergent I swear I bought went). Not as dark as Dexter and not as OCD as Monk, Martin is such a likeable character, you can't help rooting for him. ( )
  Tracey8824 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Caveat: this was a forced quick read, because the book is due at the library today. So I probably didn't get as much out of it had I been able to take it at a more leisurely pace. But what they say on the back of the book is true, and there was no way I was going to be able to take the last 50 pages at a leisurely pace anyway. Three-and-a half stars. ( )
  cat-ballou | Apr 2, 2013 |
Despite his obsessive-compulsive work ethic, Martin manages to get himself in trouble over a toothbrush — but not before we’ve decided to let him in next time he calls.

For Elysha You saved me first
Martin opened the refrigerator and saw precisely what he had expected.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767930886, Paperback)

Amazon Exclusive: Alan Bradley Reviews Something Missing Alan Bradley is the author of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, the first mystery in the Flavia de Luce series, and one of Amazon's Best of the Month picks. The next book in the series, The Weed That Strings the Hangman’s Bag, will be published in 2010. Read his exclusive Amazon guest review of Something Missing:

I once knew a man who thought in precisely the same way that Martin Railsback does. Even the drabbest of tasks, such as going for groceries, or putting out the trash, had to be planned with the utmost strategy and cunning. I found out later that my friend was a retired safecracker.

Martin Railsback, Jr., if you haven’t already heard, is the protagonist of Matthew Dick’s first novel, Something Missing: the story of an obsessive-compulsive housebreaker whose every waking moment is jam-packed with finicky clockwork ritual--the kind of intense micro-planning that might have made even Napoleon back off.

Martin’s only problem is that, after years of undetected crime, he’s recently begun to think of himself as a sort of guardian angel who watches over his victims, or “clients,” as he prefers to call them. Conscience rears its ugly head.

Up until now, Martin has always played life as if it were a game of chess: by thinking a dozen moves ahead of everyone else, he will always come out ahead of the game.

And so he does, until the day he accidentally knocks Sophie Pearl’s electric toothbrush into the toilet bowl while stealing a single one (don’t ask!) of her diamond earrings.

Thus begins a series of events that play out like a cross between Raymond Chandler and a Keystone Cops two-reeler.

Like Jeff Lindsay, whose Dexter series has so brilliantly explored the underside of the underside, Matthew Dicks has created an unforgettable character that will have you torn between wanting to throttle him--or adopt him.--Alan Bradley

(Photo © Jeff Bassett)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:37 -0400)

A career criminal with OCD tendencies and a savant-like genius for bringing order to his crime scenes, Martin considers himself one of the best in the business. Of course, he only takes items that will go unnoticed by the homeowners. Even though he has never met these homewoners, he's spent hours in their houses, looking through their photo albums and reading their journals. He's developed a friendship of sorts with them, and accordingly he decides to intervene though it means breaking many of his twitchy, neurotic rules.… (more)

Matthew Dicks is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Dicks chatted with LibraryThing members from Aug 17, 2009 to Aug 28, 2009. Read the chat.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,159,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible