L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad

L.A. Candy (2009)

by Lauren Conrad

538None18,644 (3.21)14

I don't like books with incomplete endings. I need one story to END before another begins. I realize LC just wants me to keep reading her books...but seriously, let's finish the first book properly before you start writing another one. ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 13, 2013 |
Read it in a day and I can say "OMG what a waste of money! " This book is boring, has no depth at all, has no real storyline and is definitely not a book i appreciate. Must say I am so glad that i did not order book 2 cause I nearly did that, but then i decided to just order book 1 and see what it was about., pfft.
One thing, maybe my daughter Rowena (20years old) might like it. She noticed the book on the table and looked intrigued. (poor thing, I do not think she will like it though)
No more chick lit young Adult for me.. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Let's be clear right now, I'm a huge fan of The Hills and Lauren Conrad so that may impair my judgement just a tad bit, but I'm trying my best to be completely impartial and give an honest review of the book.

For the first half I really didn't know how I felt about L.A. Candy. By the end I was completely hooked and almost skipped everything else I had scheduled to read the sequel. This was an addicting read that I flew through in just a few hours.

The main character, Jane, is very likeable. You want everything to work out for her. Yet somethings that happen to her are very undeserved and I totally felt for her. And of course there are spoiled mean girls at play who deserve a good kick.

Yes, the writing is a bit more simplistic than a lot of other books out there, but honestly, it's realistic of the demographic that is portrayed in the novel. This is definitely a YA "chicklit" and perfect for a reader looking for something very light. Maybe as a refresher after a heavier read? Beach reading material for sure. Lots of drama, fashion, and parties; a very girly novel.
Anyway, this is a must-read for fans of Lauren Conrad, MTV, or reality TV in general. I don't know how much of it is actually true, but it could provide a lot of insight of what goes in behind-the-scenes of so-called "reality" shows.

Oh, and heads up for anyway planning to read L.A. Candy, we're left with a total cliffhanger, guaranteeing you'll want to read the next installment.

http://backporchreader.blogspot.com ( )
  bryantkeli | Apr 3, 2013 |

http://backporchreader.blogspot.com ( )
  bryantkeli | Feb 28, 2013 |
This book is based on the series The Hills broadcasted by MTV. The main characters within this book are Jane and Scarelett. Jane and Scarelett are best friends and decided to move to LA to live together and experience something that they have always dreamed off. Both of them get involved in gossip, drama, romance and problems through their work, school and private lives. Jane and Scarelett get an opportunity in a life time by getting casted for a reality series. Jane agrees with the reality series right away but Scarelett is still doubting if this is the right thing to do. After considering the offer Scarelett also accepts to participate in the reality serie. The whole book is based around Jane and Scarelett that go through extraordinary events in LA, caused by the reality series. Jane get offered an amazing internship at a well-known events company, and Scarelett goes to a well-known University. It all seems that both of the two girls live a perfect life but throughout the story you will find turns of events that are not fully expected.
Reading this book was a pleasure because it was very easy to read. It was fun, romantic, gossip, the perfect book for females between 16-24 years old. When reading this book you should not have high standards. The book is not a high appreciated literature masterpiece but is there to entertain. In my opinion the writer did a good job in describing the story in detail, she made you feel part of the story. Although the writer managed to make you feel part of the story, it was to prosy. The story told could be more exciting if she would have included more events. The story got some interesting turns that were not fully expected but it could have been made more dramatic or interesting. Through watching the Hills on MTV you should not in my opinion read the book. The book maybe more detailed in the story but it doesn’t go beyond your expectations. If you really want to go deep you should tell every detail, in this case the author did not succeed in that. Overall a book to read when you want something light and entertaining. ( )
  celine92 | Nov 20, 2012 |

When nineteen-year-old Jane Roberts is cast in a new reality show, she discovers that the fame and fortune of her new life come at a high price to herself and her friendships.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,407,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible