L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad

L.A. Candy (2009)

by Lauren Conrad

Recently added byprivate library, dm13, MABoone, stephkru, Laella

I admit to watching more than a few episodes of The Hills (though not every season). I was not expecting great literature, and in this era of branding and packaging wonder if Lauren really wrote this. Not that it's so great that she couldn't possibly have written it, but c'mon. She does thank "collaborator" Nancy Ohlin. I don't know for sure who wrote what, so these remarks are "alleged," OK? Anyway, Lauren definitely knows about the subject matter, a young girl who finds her every move documented for a reality show. It's dishy, show-bizzy fluff. And I'll admit that it's not the only Lauren Conrad book I own. ( )
  ennie | Apr 21, 2014 |
I don't like books with incomplete endings. I need one story to END before another begins. I realize LC just wants me to keep reading her books...but seriously, let's finish the first book properly before you start writing another one. ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 13, 2013 |
Read it in a day and I can say "OMG what a waste of money! " This book is boring, has no depth at all, has no real storyline and is definitely not a book i appreciate. Must say I am so glad that i did not order book 2 cause I nearly did that, but then i decided to just order book 1 and see what it was about., pfft.
One thing, maybe my daughter Rowena (20years old) might like it. She noticed the book on the table and looked intrigued. (poor thing, I do not think she will like it though)
No more chick lit young Adult for me.. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Let's be clear right now, I'm a huge fan of The Hills and Lauren Conrad so that may impair my judgement just a tad bit, but I'm trying my best to be completely impartial and give an honest review of the book.

For the first half I really didn't know how I felt about L.A. Candy. By the end I was completely hooked and almost skipped everything else I had scheduled to read the sequel. This was an addicting read that I flew through in just a few hours.

The main character, Jane, is very likeable. You want everything to work out for her. Yet somethings that happen to her are very undeserved and I totally felt for her. And of course there are spoiled mean girls at play who deserve a good kick.

Yes, the writing is a bit more simplistic than a lot of other books out there, but honestly, it's realistic of the demographic that is portrayed in the novel. This is definitely a YA "chicklit" and perfect for a reader looking for something very light. Maybe as a refresher after a heavier read? Beach reading material for sure. Lots of drama, fashion, and parties; a very girly novel.
Anyway, this is a must-read for fans of Lauren Conrad, MTV, or reality TV in general. I don't know how much of it is actually true, but it could provide a lot of insight of what goes in behind-the-scenes of so-called "reality" shows.

Oh, and heads up for anyway planning to read L.A. Candy, we're left with a total cliffhanger, guaranteeing you'll want to read the next installment.

http://backporchreader.blogspot.com ( )
  bryantkeli | Apr 3, 2013 |

http://backporchreader.blogspot.com ( )
  bryantkeli | Feb 28, 2013 |

When nineteen-year-old Jane Roberts is cast in a new reality show, she discovers that the fame and fortune of her new life come at a high price to herself and her friendships.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,643,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible