L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad

L.A. Candy (2009)

by Lauren Conrad

When nineteen-year-old Jane Roberts is cast in a new reality show, she discovers that the fame and fortune of her new life come at a high price to herself and her friendships.

I'm a huge Lauren Conrad fan, so this book is just right for me, I LOVE anything with her name on it!

I felt as if Lauren wrote her own biography of sorts, but if you watched The Hills, you will be surprised to see that Jane is more like Heidi then Lauren, Baby face, wants to organize parties and events, and her BFF is so much hotter than Lo, more like Audrina.

I heard Lauren say once that Jane was inspired by her, Scarlett by Lo, Madison by Heidi, Gaby by Audrina and Hannah by Whitney. But in all truth I don't see it this way at all.

The book is very good, I was putting it off for other books but in two days of reading here and there I think I might finish it tonight. It's this good. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

I'm a huge Lauren Conrad fan, so this book is just right for me, I LOVE anything with LC's name on it!

I felt as if Lauren wrote her own biography, but if you watched The Hills, you will be surprised to see that Jane is more like Heidi then Lauren, Baby face, wants to organize parties and events, and her BFF is so much hotter than Lo. More like a Whitney or Audrina then a Lo.

I heard Lauren say once that Jane was inspired by her, Scarlett by Lo, Madison by Heidi, Gaby by Audrina and Hannah by Whitney. ( )

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

That is me, laughing at the idea that I would pick up a book by Lauren Conrad (LAUREN CONRAD! HAHAHAHAHA!) and give it anything more than one star.

Except I did.

I don't know if she had a ghostwriter or not (I would presume yes, but hey, maybe I've underestimated her all along?), but if she did, she found one who's better than most. This was a perfectly fun beachy read, and I actually found myself rather liking the main character (whom I suspect Lauren Conrad thinks is based on herself).

The main character, Jane, is a NATURAL BLONDE (this is emphasized approximately 547x) who is NOTHING like those fake, silicone-enhanced bimbos who have overrun California, thankyouverymuch. Jane is "pretty" and "girl-next-door" rather than drop-dead stunning like her best friend (who obviously is also a brainiac, because brains and beauty go together just like like peanut butter and pickles). Despite all the superficiality, Jane comes off pretty likeable, if somewhat naive and maybe even a little boring. (Awww, she likes PUPPIES, you guys! But she never got to have one because her mom was allergic, so the guy she's crushing on buys her a STUFFED PUPPY until she can get a real one! Awww x2!)

There's one reason this gets a third star instead of just barely eking out a second star by the skin of its teeth. Conrad, I think pretty smartly, relies on what is probably her one true claim to fame: her knowledge of what happens when a Nobody appears on a reality TV show that somehow becomes a hit despite not really being ABOUT anything. The plot, as you may have guessed, involves Jane agreeing to have her life filmed for a reality TV show, and the resulting kerfuffle in her life. I'm willing to believe that the plot itself is fairly realistic, because hey, Lauren Conrad would know, right? In fact, this book is a lot like reality TV itself: you know it's stupid, but it's also pretty entertaining, so against your better judgment you end up spending the evening secretly enjoying what you know is drivel. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
not even sure why I grabbed this except that the library books i had ordered hadnt come in yet and I needed something.....it wasnt terribly bad but the plot never really got moving until the last 50 pages or so and there really wasnt any conclusion to the story. I know that there are supposed to be more books to the series but felt kinda cheated and pissed that it left off so abruptly. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,885,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible