Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson

Vicious Circle (edition 2009)

by Linda Robertson

253None45,209 (3.5)1
Member:sidhevicious
Title:Vicious Circle
Authors:Linda Robertson
Info:Pocket Ebooks (2009), Kindle Edition, 384 pages
Tags:TBR, Urban Fantasy

Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Heroines who, while just trying to live a simple life, find themselves tangled up in fantastic problems and incredible romances.

This book didn't make a big impression on me, the characters were likeable but the politics were rather unoriginal.

Read Abigail's review at All Things Urban Fantasy for a more thorough breakdown. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
Why read: Received for review

What impressed me: It's been a while since I read a series starter that I loved beyond imagination. There was absolutely nothing I would have wanted changed in Vicious Circle. I majorly loved Seph, her powers, her attempt to steer clear of coven politics, her un-witch-like (in this world) respect for werewolves, her grandmother, etc. I could go on and on and on about the awesomeness of this book, but simply it was witch-based urban fantasy done right. Perfect mystery, just the right amount of sexual tension, and witchcraft with a clear background and purpose.

What disappointed me: Nothing at all.

Recommended: Absolutely. This book was completely fantastic.

Continue series: Definitely. Actually I already started the next book. This is a series I can see myself devouring immediately. ( )
  TequilaReader | Feb 1, 2013 |
I have had this book on my shelf to read for awhile. It was a good book and I am glad that I read it. The world is intriguing and Persephone is a character that is very down to earth, yet caring and tough.

Persephone is a practicing witch who makes her money doing tarot readings and kenneling werewolves during full moons. She gets a call from a woman named Vivian who wants Persephone to hunt down a man who is suspected of killing one of Persephone's friends. Persephone reluctantly agrees, but things get more complicated when she finds out that the suspect is a vampire and then one of her other friends almost gets killed while tracking down info on this elusive vampire.

Robertson does an excellent job with world-building and characters. This is obviously a complex world where the interactions between witches, vampires, and werewolves are complicated. Robertson does an excellent job of tying mythology and Wicca beliefs into everything. Persephone is an wonderful character; she is very neighbor-next-door-like but is committed to protecting those she loves and has a streak of toughness when it comes to these people. Persephone wasn't the most distinctive heroine of urban fantasy that I have read about, but she was unique enough to keep me interested. Johnny, her love interest, is an intriguing character and obviously has a complex past I am dying to know more about. The baddies are definitely bad and you are happy to see them get what they deserve.

The plot clipped along at a good pace and was engaging making this book a fast read. There are some fun twists and turns towards the end of the book that really keep the reader guessing. I did have some problems with the plot, the main one being why Seph would accept a job to assassinate someone when she doesn't really do that normally. This was a bit contrived and it was the main thing that got the plot going.

The book ended well, but there are a lot of things that will be carried into the next book. This was more urban fantasy than paranormal romance; although there is a little bit of romance throughout. Persephone isn't the most intriguing urban fantasy heroine out there (Kate Daniels, Dorina Basarb, Jane Yellowrock are all more interesting) but she was a little more interesting than others out there and I like the detail that went into describing the magic system.

Overall I am glad I read this book. While not as creative as say, the Kate Daniels series, I liked this book a little bit better than Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series. The world is well done, the plot very engaging, and the magic system well described...the characters are all people you really care about and you want to learn more about them. This is a good option for those who are fans of The Hallows series by Kim Harrison or similar series involving witches, vamps and weres. I am excited to read the next book in the series Hallowed Circle. ( )
  krau0098 | May 10, 2011 |
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

Persephone Alcmeda (aka Seph) is little like Rachel Morgan and Stephanie Plum rolled into one. Like Rachel, she's a powerful witch who can tap into ley lines and manipulate magic. And like Stephanie, she has to deal with her batty old grandmother making comments about her love life and random people moving in with her all the time.

In the back of my address book was a list of contact numbers for the wærewolves who kenneled in my basement during full moons. My finger ran down to the name Johnny. A last name wasn’t necessary to clarify this guy. There was only one Johnny.-VICIOUS CIRCLE

VICIOUS CIRCLE has a sudden revelation world building scenario. The world lived in blissful ignorance of Wære, Vampires, Witches, and Fey until recently. The human population has been struggling to adapt ever since. The Wære have endured the worst treatment by far. Police won't investigate crimes about them and hospitals will discharge them regardless of their condition the moment the Wær virus is detected.

Seph is instantly likeable as the witch with sympathies towards Wære and a strong, if often reckless sense of justice. She has a quirky love for Arthur Pendragan aka King Arthur that does a nice job of humanizing her. And the Wære/rock star Jonny as well as another romantic possibility who I won’t name keep things interesting and promise a bigger payoff in future books.

The biggest problem I had with VICIOUS CIRCLE is how small it seems. Nearly the entire book takes place in Seph's house. Plus it took a really long time before any action happened. I liked the character of Jonny as a playful and shameless flirt, but he didn’t have nearly enough scenes.

Overall, VICIOUS CIRCLE introduces us to a complex magical world, a likeable heroine still unsure of her powers, and the potential for lots of romantic tension. These all help compensate for a small, slightly slow story. Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, Book 2) is available now, and Fatal Circle will be out June 29, 2010

Sexual Content: References to sex. ( )
  pollywannabook | May 20, 2010 |
Fell asleep on this one a lot - talk about a slow start. Persephone is nice but kind of boring as far as an UF protagonist goes. Johnny was a cute love interest but not sexy. The story did eventually pick up about halfway through. I'm not opposed to continuing this series, but I'm not pressed either. ( )
1 vote Jac8604 | May 14, 2010 |

Being a witch doesn't pay the bills, but Persephone Alcmedi gets by between reading Tarot cards, writing her syndicated newspaper column, and kenneling werewolves in the basement when the moon is full — even if witches aren't supposed to mingle with wolves. She really reaches the end of her leash, though, when her grandmother gets kicked out of the nursing home and Seph finds herself in the doghouse about some things she's written. Then her werewolf friend Lorrie is murdered...and the high priestess of an important coven offers Seph big money to destroy the killer, a powerful vampire named Goliath Kline. Seph is a tough girl, but this time she bites off more than she can chew. She needs a little help from her friends — werewolf friends. One of those friends, Johnny, the motorcycle-riding lead singer for the techno-metal-Goth band Lycanthropia, has a crush on her. And while Seph has always been on edge around this 6'2" leather-clad hunk, she's starting to realize that although their attraction may be dangerous, nothing could be as lethal as the showdown that awaits them.

"Being a witch doesn't pay the bills, but Persephone Alcmedi gets by between reading Tarot cards, writing her syndicated newspaper column, and kenneling werewolves in the basement when the moon is full--even if witches aren't supposed to mingle with wolves. She really reaches the end of her leash, though, when her grandmother gets kicked out of the nursing home and Seph finds herself in the doghouse about some things she's written. The her werewolf friend Lorrie is murdered ... and the high priestess of an important coven offers Seph big money to destroy the killer, a powerful vampire named Goliath Kline. Seph is a tough girl, but this time she bites off more than she can chew. She needs a little help from her friends--werewolf friends. One of those friends, Johnny, the motorcycle-riding lead singer for the techno-metal-Goth band Lycanthropia, has a crush on her. And while Seph has always been on edge around this 6'2" leather-clad hunk, she's starting to realize that although their attraction may be dangerous, nothing could be as lethal as the showdown that awaits them."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible