On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

On the Edge (edition 2009)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: The Edge (1)

Member:christina_reads
Title:On the Edge
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, paranormal, series, romance, 11 in 11

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

Tinker by Wen Spencer (flemmily)
    Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Heroines who, while just trying to live a simple life, find themselves tangled up in fantastic problems and incredible romances.

Rose lives in the Edge, a place where misfits straddle the Weird and the Broken, the in-betweens of the world we know and a place where magic is as easy as a flash.

I rather liked this book. It had all the right elements set with a bit of bite and some rather sensual moments. Sure, it's pretty typical, but it was done well.

Characters are nicely portrayed and I love how Rose doesn't just fall in love at first sight. There is definitely a progression that is believable - something not seen often in paranormal romances. One complaint I have is that the characters seem to monologue a lot and reveal their deeper secrets at the drop of a hat without a blink of an eye. It's too easy for them to open up. But as everything else is done quite nicely, I can overlook that.

The world is fairly flat, this in between world. I would've loved to see more besides the little techniques, but unfortunately this books is more about character development rather than world building.

This book hits all the right notes for me - action, strong protagonist, a bit of tightly burning lust, sassy remarks, and a good ending.

Three stars because it's not exactly something I'm raving about, but it's good. Recommended for those who love a good romance that is actually believable. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
Why did I wait this long to read this?! ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
I'm surprised that I felt this book deserved 4 stars. I don't really understand why. It's a pretty standard paranormal romance, but it really sucked me in. The other books I've read by Andrews, the Kate Daniels series, were quite inventive for an urban fantasy. This was definitely more of a romance &, while the world was quite interesting & different, the story line was obvious from the start. Still, I found it very difficult to put down. That difficulty, plus my hope that it is the start of a new series, earns this book an extra star. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Second rereading. Still good. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Jun 2, 2014 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband. I bet you didn't see that one coming.
"Rosie!" Grandpa's bellow shook the foundations of the house.

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel between the worlds – but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought that if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out the way she planned, and now she works an off-the-books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life determined to have Rose (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge – a flood of creatures hungry for magic – Declan and Rose must overcome their differences and work together to destroy them, or the beasts will devour the Edge and everyone in it…

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can esily travel between the worlds, but they never truly belong in either.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,677,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible