On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

On the Edge (edition 2009)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: The Edge (1)

Member:christina_reads
Title:On the Edge
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, paranormal, series, romance, 11 in 11

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

Tinker by Wen Spencer (flemmily)
    Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Heroines who, while just trying to live a simple life, find themselves tangled up in fantastic problems and incredible romances.

Living on the Edge, Rose lives very much between worlds, desperately trying to scrabble an existence while living between worlds and with scant resources.

Even her magic did little but make life more difficult – drawing her to far too much negative attention. The latest of which is Declan, magical aristocrat who has his own agenda and is definitely going to draft Rose into it.

While Declan is a problem, the beasts also moving into the Edge are a far more lethal threat demanding attention.

Another Ilona Andrews series, so much glee! Given some of the books I’ve been reading lately, I think I deserve this. Of course, I risked disappointment – but I’ve never read a book by Ilona Andrews I didn’t love. And this is no different

I love the world building of this. The whole concept of the three worlds – Earth (Broken), the magical world (the Weird), rich in magic and, clinging between the two, able to travel to each but not part of either, The Edge

The people of the Edge have magic, but rarely anything like enough magic to compare with The Weird. They eke a living on the edge of both realms, trading with both, working in the Broken without the resources that could access as full members of the society. They live on a tiny sliver of land with very little resources, desperately trying to scratch a living. And with magic – which is not always benevolent as curses and odd creatures can abound. For people on the very edge of their resources, the extra randomness that magic can bring just makes life even harder

This is really well shown with Rose’s siblings – George has the awesome power of reincarnation: except the cost of it and his compassion is killing him. It’s a terrible conflict – how do you tell a child not to care? While, a shapeshifter, doesn’t quite think like a human which Rose has to gently work round (which awesomely contrasts with yet more in depth and complicated world building from how The Weird treats their shapeshifters).

As ever with an Iona Andrews novel, we have a lot of detail – into how magic works, into the world building of both The Weird (I love their concept of how aristocracy as an almost meritocracy – it’s such an original little concept), into the politics and into the daily lives of the people of The Edge. There’s so much detail so well conveyed but none of it delivered via clumsy info dumping. We have so much here but none of it is delivered awkwardly or in a way that feels unnatural. It works, like it.

Rose’s story is also an excellent one. Her struggles raising her brothers. Her relationship with her grandmother. Her difficult childhood and parents (yes, she’s a semi-orphan and yes that’s a tired trope. I also don’t like how her mother was portrayed – it was sympathetic and surprisingly non-judgemental given her mother’s mental illness contributed to her sleeping with other women’s husbands, but it also served to really create Rose’s story of burden and sorrow rather than actually flesh her out into a character or person in her own right).

She has great power, but that makes her desirable and useful – it makes her a resource to exploit in a place that has few resources and fewer defences. People tried to kidnap her, force her to become a broodmare: she’s wary but she’s also young and actually wants a life. I like the conflict and complexity of her

The problem is that that complexity comes with a whole lot of her hating a lot of the women of the community which is sad to see – but she does build a rapport to a degree through the book

I was extremely leery of romance in this book. Declan arrived on the scene and there’s a whole lot of coercion there. But the way it’s handled does an excellent job of breaking a lot of the tropes I hate when we see romances that involve “dubious consent.” There was a lot of effort to ensure that Rose’s own wants and desires were depicted and communicated while Rose herself was very careful to leave herself with protections and safeguards. Even when affection developed she never trusted him and I really appreciate that. I appreciate a protagonist who doesn’t throw caution and common sense to the wind because her heart and/or loins have spoken. Especially when they’re a protagonist on whom other people rely. Common sense and romance can exist at the same time! No, really!

The whole concept of The Edge zone is used to excellently depict class differences. People living in straddle worlds but straddling those worlds leaves them with very little opportunity. They have no legal existence in either world and not enough resources or structure in their own world to build more than the basics of their own society. They are incredibly vulnerable. On Broken they have few to no legal rights (something they often pay huge amounts of money for in order to get even the limited protection that legal existence brings them). The people of The Edge in general, and Rose specifically, work minimum wage jobs, often under the table and desperately try to scrape by. Rose’s poverty and the pain is causes her in raising her two younger brothers, the things she can’t provide them, the shortages they have and the constant worry and negotiation she has to live with as she juggles their scant resources and has to make hard choices with what they have

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | May 25, 2016 |
I've read her other series with Kate Daniels. This is a different magic world than hers but definitely in the urban fantasy realm. Rose is an Edger. It's a universe that lays between the Weird and the Border. Weird has similar layout to the Border but has magic, Border is our world. The Edge is between the two in varying widths and people who live there can often go to the Weird or Border. Rose has been left to raise her younger brothers and works as a cleaning person under the table. Declan shows up and gets to meet three challenges to win Rose, but he's there because he's on the hunt for what has been cleaning the Edgers. There is a possibility of a future book by a hint near the end, but this is definitely a nice standalone novel. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Even better the second time ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
3¾ stars. This was read-until-done book that I did enjoy. The Rose character caught me up right away as did the story and uneven but fairly original worldbuilding. Actually, the not putting it down until finished gained it a star. Like I said, I liked Rose right away with the twist of how paranoid she was and how determined to not react a certain way because of what was expected or what someone was trying to get her to do.
"But they wouldn’t force her to do something she didn’t want to do either. That would be equally weak."
Will read more by this author and further in the series. It was a very good, well written story for the most part. But, with next book not following the same characters to make up for the disappointingly blah ending -- not in any hurry to move it to top of to-read pile.

In a can't-put-down book that kept my interest, hard to put my finger on why was a little dissatisfied. I think it was the way Rose gradually changed and I stopped enjoying as much once she started to just accept everything from the love interest including assorted deceptions, his using her baby brothers as bait and even one as a hound to sniff out the bad guys. Started out with an ambiance of one of the eastern bloc things (like Brothers Grimm and the black forest stories, the snow queen, firebird, etc.) -- which nicely set it apart from a lot of the paranormal series out there. Lost my interest a bit when that faded and stopped being consistent (for example, the poor village can't afford to farm anything or provide food for itself without going into town to the Wal-Mart but can afford to pay school principals and power company; can grow herbs and cherry trees but not vegetable garden; can punish Rose for fighting off attackers too forcefully but cannot punish the attackers for stalking her or selling her off into slavery).

Declan never got interesting to me because he kept changing too much every time the plot needed a change so sometimes a bully, sometimes a sweetheart, sometimes arrogant, sometimes down to earth ... instead of a cardboard personality this one had too many personalities. But it did take a while for the small town nastiness and inconsistencies of worldbuilding and characters to sneak in (I really starting noticing when more than halfway thru the book). There was a big action, plan against the bad guy thing about 80% thru, then a drawn out and very hokey ending.
"He’s covert ops, if I ever saw one. They ain’t gonna send a battalion to help us out, because that would mean they’d have to admit that Duke’s psycho brother made off with their supersecret apocalypse machine, which they weren’t supposed to have in the first place. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |

Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband. I bet you didn't see that one coming.
"Rosie!" Grandpa's bellow shook the foundations of the house.

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel between the worlds – but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought that if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out the way she planned, and now she works an off-the-books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life determined to have Rose (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge – a flood of creatures hungry for magic – Declan and Rose must overcome their differences and work together to destroy them, or the beasts will devour the Edge and everyone in it…

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can esily travel between the worlds, but they never truly belong in either.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,991,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible