On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

On the Edge (edition 2009)

by Ilona Andrews

Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, paranormal, series, romance, 11 in 11

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

Tinker by Wen Spencer (flemmily)
    Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Heroines who, while just trying to live a simple life, find themselves tangled up in fantastic problems and incredible romances.

Listened for fun (Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished On the Edge was excellent! I wish the end would have been a tad bit longer :)

Story Thoughts: What can I say about this book that hasn't been said before? It is filled with amazing world building, freaking awesome characters, and kick ass action. I was hooked almost from the beginning and other than a rushed ending, I am in love. I have had this on my shelf since 2012 and I so should have gotten to it sooner. It was overall fantastic.

Character Thoughts: LOVED LOVED LOVED the characters. Rose was kick ass! Declan was swoon-worthy! The kids are awesome (even though I have been told they aren't having a series of their own--I am still holding out hope). I adored William, he deserves love!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Renée Raudman / Length: 12 hrs and 8 mins

Renee did an excellent job with the narration of On the Edge. She was right on target with Rose, Declan, and the kiddos.

Final Thoughts: So glad I knocked this one off my TBR! ( )
  thehistorychic | Mar 13, 2014 |
On The Edge
4 Stars

Readers expecting a Kate Daniels type Urban Fantasy are bound to be disappointed as On the Edge is more paranormal romance than UF even though the writing style, world building, humor and characterization are all trademark Andrews.

Although set in modern times, the book has an almost historical romance vibe to it perhaps due to the construction of parallel dimensions and the conflict established between the main characters.

The setting consists of three co-existing realms: The Broken, a technological world like our own, the Weird, a feudal like society with nobles and retainers where magic abounds, and the Edge, a ribbon of land in between whose rustic inhabitants possess magic to varying degrees and are able to move between worlds with ease.

The heroine, Rose, is an Edger struggling to support her younger brothers in a society that views her as a commodity due to her powerful magic. In contrast, the hero, Declan, is a peer or "blueblood" from the Weird whose sense of entitlement and superiority immediately set Rose on edge. Their relationship gets off to a rocky start but the sparks are definitely there and he becomes more likable once his actions, motivations and personality are fleshed out.

The underlying plot revolves around a dangerous threat from the Weird which forces Rose and Declan to work together to save the people of the Edge. As is the norm for Andrews, the villain is a seriously nasty piece of work, the action scenes are exciting and the secondary cast is well written from Rose's obnoxious ex-boyfriend to her adorable brothers as well as Declan's troubled friend and the people of the village with their unique quirks and mannerisms.

All in all, On The Edge is an entertaining read with excellent world building, great characters and an engaging storyline. Looking forward to continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Sep 28, 2013 |
This was slower going that the Magic series, but rather enjoyable and I LOVED the characters. Great plot with interesting and unique world building. Liked it much. 4 and a half stars. ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |
I liked this story. I was not sure at first, but I knew that I loved the Kate Daniels series, so I thought I would give it a try. The first several pages I was still not sure what I thought. I was not sure that I liked the world in which this story took place. It is very different from any world I have read so far. I am still not sure what I think of the world, but I liked the storyline.

I am very interested in the next story about William. He seems like he will be a great character. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
4 1/2
I was a little bored at the very beginning, I believe because there was a lot of explanation and world building. After that, it took off and never pushed too hard. It is definitely a romance though the plot drives much of the story. It is told in a limited 3rd person point of view but mainly in Roses POV. It was a quick fun read.

It was located in a place between two worlds. The two worlds being images of one another, one magic, the Weird, and one electric, or technologic, the Broken. In some sense this is similar to Kate's world as it seems that the electric and magic don't work together. Here they are separated by being different realms or dimensions. The place between the two worlds is called the Edge. It is kinda of a lawless area with out policing authorities, yet it has its own rules. Very Appalachian like.

I saw a lot of Kate in Rose, after I got over the whole Appalachian type setting. Rose has a strong personalty forged by hard circumstances. She is powerful but uses it for protection for her family and herself, not to attack those who wrong her. I never felt like she was the heroine in distress or in need of being saved. Refreshing. Kinda like Kate.

It had a nice romance but I think the romance was a side story to the main plot. I thought the very end was a little corny, reminiscent of historical romance, but it was such a small, short part, of the book that it doesn't take away from the enjoyment but adds to it.

Definitely a series I will continue. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband. I bet you didn't see that one coming.
"Rosie!" Grandpa's bellow shook the foundations of the house.

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel between the worlds – but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought that if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out the way she planned, and now she works an off-the-books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life determined to have Rose (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge – a flood of creatures hungry for magic – Declan and Rose must overcome their differences and work together to destroy them, or the beasts will devour the Edge and everyone in it…

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can esily travel between the worlds, but they never truly belong in either.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible