On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

On the Edge (edition 2009)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: The Edge (1)

Member:christina_reads
Title:On the Edge
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, paranormal, series, romance, 11 in 11

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

Tinker by Wen Spencer (flemmily)
    Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Heroines who, while just trying to live a simple life, find themselves tangled up in fantastic problems and incredible romances.

I've read her other series with Kate Daniels. This is a different magic world than hers but definitely in the urban fantasy realm. Rose is an Edger. It's a universe that lays between the Weird and the Border. Weird has similar layout to the Border but has magic, Border is our world. The Edge is between the two in varying widths and people who live there can often go to the Weird or Border. Rose has been left to raise her younger brothers and works as a cleaning person under the table. Declan shows up and gets to meet three challenges to win Rose, but he's there because he's on the hunt for what has been cleaning the Edgers. There is a possibility of a future book by a hint near the end, but this is definitely a nice standalone novel. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 2, 2016 |
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 2, 2016 |
Even better the second time ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Why did I wait this long to read this?! ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
3¾ stars. This was read-until-done book that I did enjoy. The Rose character caught me up right away as did the story and uneven but fairly original worldbuilding. Actually, the not putting it down until finished gained it a star. Like I said, I liked Rose right away with the twist of how paranoid she was and how determined to not react a certain way because of what was expected or what someone was trying to get her to do.
"But they wouldn’t force her to do something she didn’t want to do either. That would be equally weak."
Will read more by this author and further in the series. It was a very good, well written story for the most part. But, with next book not following the same characters to make up for the disappointingly blah ending -- not in any hurry to move it to top of to-read pile.

In a can't-put-down book that kept my interest, hard to put my finger on why was a little dissatisfied. I think it was the way Rose gradually changed and I stopped enjoying as much once she started to just accept everything from the love interest including assorted deceptions, his using her baby brothers as bait and even one as a hound to sniff out the bad guys. Started out with an ambiance of one of the eastern bloc things (like Brothers Grimm and the black forest stories, the snow queen, firebird, etc.) -- which nicely set it apart from a lot of the paranormal series out there. Lost my interest a bit when that faded and stopped being consistent (for example, the poor village can't afford to farm anything or provide food for itself without going into town to the Wal-Mart but can afford to pay school principals and power company; can grow herbs and cherry trees but not vegetable garden; can punish Rose for fighting off attackers too forcefully but cannot punish the attackers for stalking her or selling her off into slavery).

Declan never got interesting to me because he kept changing too much every time the plot needed a change so sometimes a bully, sometimes a sweetheart, sometimes arrogant, sometimes down to earth ... instead of a cardboard personality this one had too many personalities. But it did take a while for the small town nastiness and inconsistencies of worldbuilding and characters to sneak in (I really starting noticing when more than halfway thru the book). There was a big action, plan against the bad guy thing about 80% thru, then a drawn out and very hokey ending.
"He’s covert ops, if I ever saw one. They ain’t gonna send a battalion to help us out, because that would mean they’d have to admit that Duke’s psycho brother made off with their supersecret apocalypse machine, which they weren’t supposed to have in the first place. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband. I bet you didn't see that one coming.
"Rosie!" Grandpa's bellow shook the foundations of the house.

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel between the worlds – but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought that if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out the way she planned, and now she works an off-the-books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life determined to have Rose (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge – a flood of creatures hungry for magic – Declan and Rose must overcome their differences and work together to destroy them, or the beasts will devour the Edge and everyone in it…

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can esily travel between the worlds, but they never truly belong in either.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,000,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible