On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

On the Edge (edition 2009)

by Ilona Andrews

Series: The Edge (1)

Member:christina_reads
Title:On the Edge
Authors:Ilona Andrews
Info:Ace (2009), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, paranormal, series, romance, 11 in 11

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews

Tinker by Wen Spencer (flemmily)
    Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson (TheBooknerd)
    TheBooknerd: Heroines who, while just trying to live a simple life, find themselves tangled up in fantastic problems and incredible romances.

Second rereading. Still good. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Jun 2, 2014 |
On the Edge feels more like a fairy tale than true urban fantasy. It's a fun, fast read with great characters and imagination. To me, the story was a bit more predictable and straightforward than I would expect from the fertile mind(s) of Ilona Andrews, but I am sure as they continue to develop the series, it will get better and better. I'm still fiercely loyal to Kate Daniels, but I will definitely keep reading about Rose and her adventures in the Weird. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

In a lot of ways this book felt like the Fantasy equivalent of Paranormal Romance; it’s less action-y than Ilona Andrews’ KATE DANIELS series, but the sex scenes are not left to the imagination (unlike in Urban Fantasy) and the strong world-building continues to be at the forefront of their writing. The romance is as far from insta-love as you can get which is a definite plus, and the ending was satisfying, although I was hoping for a second installment before jumping to another couple because I felt the HEA was somewhat incomplete.

Many of my fellow readers struggled with the backwoods aspect of this story, but personally, I found Rose very relatable. Being a bit of a hick myself, I appreciated the country bumpkin humour and the Edgers “different” way of doing things. I liked the well thought out explanations for Drayton’s mistrust of men, and the courtship challenges made for one of the more interesting wooing pursuits that I have ever read. Rose’s dedication to her brothers, her mad flash skills, and snark made her the perfect heroine for this tale. Her strong personality helped dull the aristocratic high-handedness of the story, and the women-are-possessions mentality became almost comical when applied to Drayton.

THE EDGE universe was amazing, as expected. I enjoyed learning all of the ins and outs of the Broken, the Edge, and the Weird. The magical rules are as complex as in the KATE DANIELS novels, but this is in no way a spin-off of the latter which means there’s a whole new set of intricacies to grasp—all the better in my opinion, because Andrews’ world-building is the reason why I keep coming back for more. I loved learning about the bizarre creatures, the inner workings of blueblood society, and the various supernatural abilities of the characters. Georgie and Jack were adorable, and I’d be interested in learning more about William who, as it turns out, is the male lead of book 2. The plot wasn’t overly complicated, but still detailed enough to hold my interest.

Renée Raudman continues to be one of my favourite narrators; her passion and intensity really shine through in this audiobook, and I had no problem with equating her to Rose Drayton even though she’s been the voice of KATE DANIELS inside my head for six installments now. Her character voices are distinct and she mirrors the pacing of the writing well. Raudman definitely has a knack for portraying strong female protagonists!

ON THE EDGE demonstrates Ilona Andrews’ versatility as an author(s), and is a great alternative for Paranormal Romance lovers looking for a bit more action in their reads. ( )
  RabidReads | Apr 25, 2014 |
Listened for fun (Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished On the Edge was excellent! I wish the end would have been a tad bit longer :)

Story Thoughts: What can I say about this book that hasn't been said before? It is filled with amazing world building, freaking awesome characters, and kick ass action. I was hooked almost from the beginning and other than a rushed ending, I am in love. I have had this on my shelf since 2012 and I so should have gotten to it sooner. It was overall fantastic.

Character Thoughts: LOVED LOVED LOVED the characters. Rose was kick ass! Declan was swoon-worthy! The kids are awesome (even though I have been told they aren't having a series of their own--I am still holding out hope). I adored William, he deserves love!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Renée Raudman / Length: 12 hrs and 8 mins

Renee did an excellent job with the narration of On the Edge. She was right on target with Rose, Declan, and the kiddos.

Final Thoughts: So glad I knocked this one off my TBR! ( )
  thehistorychic | Mar 13, 2014 |
On The Edge
4 Stars

Readers expecting a Kate Daniels type Urban Fantasy are bound to be disappointed as On the Edge is more paranormal romance than UF even though the writing style, world building, humor and characterization are all trademark Andrews.

Although set in modern times, the book has an almost historical romance vibe to it perhaps due to the construction of parallel dimensions and the conflict established between the main characters.

The setting consists of three co-existing realms: The Broken, a technological world like our own, the Weird, a feudal like society with nobles and retainers where magic abounds, and the Edge, a ribbon of land in between whose rustic inhabitants possess magic to varying degrees and are able to move between worlds with ease.

The heroine, Rose, is an Edger struggling to support her younger brothers in a society that views her as a commodity due to her powerful magic. In contrast, the hero, Declan, is a peer or "blueblood" from the Weird whose sense of entitlement and superiority immediately set Rose on edge. Their relationship gets off to a rocky start but the sparks are definitely there and he becomes more likable once his actions, motivations and personality are fleshed out.

The underlying plot revolves around a dangerous threat from the Weird which forces Rose and Declan to work together to save the people of the Edge. As is the norm for Andrews, the villain is a seriously nasty piece of work, the action scenes are exciting and the secondary cast is well written from Rose's obnoxious ex-boyfriend to her adorable brothers as well as Declan's troubled friend and the people of the village with their unique quirks and mannerisms.

All in all, On The Edge is an entertaining read with excellent world building, great characters and an engaging storyline. Looking forward to continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Sep 28, 2013 |

Ilona Andrewsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Raudman, ReneeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my husband. I bet you didn't see that one coming.
"Rosie!" Grandpa's bellow shook the foundations of the house.

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can easily travel between the worlds – but they never truly belong in either.

Rose thought that if she practiced her magic, she could build a better life for herself. But things didn’t turn out the way she planned, and now she works an off-the-books job in the Broken just to survive. Then Declan Camarine, a blueblood noble straight out of the deepest part of the Weird, comes into her life determined to have Rose (and her power).

But when a terrible danger invades the Edge – a flood of creatures hungry for magic – Declan and Rose must overcome their differences and work together to destroy them, or the beasts will devour the Edge and everyone in it…

Rose Drayton lives on the Edge, between two worlds: on one side lies the Broken, a place where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is nothing more than a fairy tale; on the other is the Weird, a realm where blueblood aristocrats rule and the strength of your magic can change your destiny. Only Edgers like Rose can esily travel between the worlds, but they never truly belong in either.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible