Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Murder of King Tut: The Plot to Kill the…

The Murder of King Tut: The Plot to Kill the Child King - A Nonfiction… (edition 2009)

by James Patterson, Martin Dugard

Member:beachtick13
Title:The Murder of King Tut: The Plot to Kill the Child King - A Nonfiction Thriller
Authors:James Patterson
Other authors:Martin Dugard
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2009), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Murder of King Tut: The Plot to Kill the Child King by James Patterson

English (51)  French (2)  All languages (53)
A fast read, but not very memorable ( )
  bookhookgeek | Sep 7, 2018 |
I enjoyed this book much more than I expected. It tells the (mostly) non-fiction story of Tut's life and death in a fiction narrative style which is very compelling - "unputdownable" is a cliche term but certainly applies in this case. ( )
  adam.currey | Jan 8, 2018 |
Patterson and Dugard combine their modern day search for answers with the early 20th century discovery of Tut's tomb by Howard Carter and a B.C. story set in Tut's Egypt with all three stories weaving together to present a possibility that Tut was murdered by the successor to his throne. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Nov 17, 2017 |
The writing in this book is abysmally poor and the historical inaccuracies were astounding. A certain level of bad writing might be worth overlooking if the plot were especially strong or if recent findings were revealed, but the plot is weak and the premise is not based on any archeological findings. This book is advertised as a nonfiction thriller, but it's really a fictional non-thriller.

The author begins the book with much pomp about how the materials were thoroughly researched so that the reconstructed story of Tutankhamun would be accurate and the theory would be sound. He then proceeds to write insanely bloated, inaccurate sub-Harlequin Romance prose about Ancient Egypt and Howard Carter. The two timelines are ocassionally interrupted by the author's modern-day soliloquies about how puzzling everything is when one is looking across the lake at one's yacht, thinking about how wealthy one is. I really don't care about Patterson's yacht or bank account, but I do find Ancient Egypt to be fascinating. Sadly, there are huge pieces of important information about Tut's life missing from this book, most obviously the simultaneous name changes of Tutankhaten to Tutankhamun and Ankhesenpaaten to Ankhesenamun. Those name changes were extremely significant, but Patterson ignores history and instead uses only the names Tutankhamen and Ankhesenpaaten alongside each other with no regard for accuracy. There is also no evidence given for Patterson's relationships between characters, relationships that either vary from historical evidence or have no historical evidence to back them up.

Such disregard for historical facts is behind Patterson's cheez-whiz of a "murder theory." My incentive for reading further was to find out what evidence proved his theory, but Patterson never mentioned any evidence. He never attempted to tie his theory to any evidence of any nature, which astounded me. When zero evidence is ALL Patterson and his "researcher" come up with after spending thousands of dollars and years doing HEAVY DUTY RESEARCH, someone owes someone a refund! There is a LOT of current information out there, and none of it is in this book.

If you must read this, check it out from your local public library. But don't be suckered into buying it! ( )
  Neferemi | Oct 3, 2017 |
I'm not normally a reader of non-fiction but King Tut is always an interesting topic and when written about by James Patterson that makes for a beautiful thing. 🙂 I loved the flow of this book but when working with a true mystery there is no making up a tied in a bow ending. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Aug 29, 2017 |
Patterson doesn’t buy that Tut died of a infection. And that’s all fine and good, but he does nothing other to follow his gut to come up with abruptly fingering likely murder suspects. There is no true evidence; just supposition. Dare you question him? Writes Patterson, “There was that gut instinct of mine again — the reason, I think, that TIME magazine had once called me ‘The Man Who Can’t Miss.’”

That level of arrogance is astounding, especially when Patterson lays out his theory and writes, “Case closed.”

Um, no. For one thing, other authors have beat him to this conclusion and with far more credibility — see Michael R. King and Gregory M. Cooper’s WHO KILLED KING TUT? and Bob Brier’s THE MURDER OF TUTANKHAMUN, from 2006 and 1999, respectively — so his hunch that Tut was the victim of homicide is nothing new, nor those he accuses of it. He’s just found a way to turn it into a surefire hit to pay for that golf membership.

James Pattersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dugard, Martinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Frank Nicolo - JP
For Callie - MD
It was New Year's Eve as a somber, good-looking explorer named Howard Carter, speaking fluent Arabic, gave the order to begin digging.

Read The Murder of King Tut (11/2009) with book club and I wasn't impressed with the author (James Patterson) like everyone else is. However, others who really liked his former books said this book was not his typical style and that I should try another one before I totally porhibit his books from my reading lists. This book just didn't have much going for it except the Egyptian history and part of his conclusion was unfounded and from left field and made me question the time I spend to read this book.
Since 1922, when Howard Carter discovered Tut's 3,000-year-old tomb, most Egyptologists have presumed that the young king died of disease, or perhaps an accident, such as a chariot fall.

But what if his fate was actually much more sinister?

Now, in THE MURDER OF TUT, James Patterson and Martin Dugard chronicle their epic quest to find out what happened to the boy-king. They comb through the evidence--X-rays, Carter's files, forensic clues--and scavenge for overlooked data to piece together the details of his life and death. The result is a true crime tale of intrigue, betrayal, and usurpation that presents a compelling case that King Tut's death was anything but natural.

The authors describe their investigation into the death of King Tut, recounting how they drew on forensic clues, historical information, and the writings of Howard Carter to conclude that Tut did not die of natural causes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,493,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible