Y : the last man volume 3 (One Small Step)…

Y : the last man volume 3 (One Small Step) (edition 2004)

by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer)

Yorick Brown, the only human male to survive a global sex-specific plague, may not be unique for much longer. As he makes his way across the remains of America (together with a secret government agent, a cloning specialist, and the only other male mammal to survive, Ampersand the monkey), the last man on Earth is about to have an unexpected visitation from above. Three astronauts are descending from the exhausted International Space Station, and two of them are men.… (more)
Member:selfnoise
Title:Y : the last man volume 3 (One Small Step)
Authors:Brian K. Vaughan
Info:New York, N.Y.: DC Comics, c2003-
Tags:graphic novel, sf, post-apocalyptic, read 2005

Y: The Last Man Vol. 3: One Small Step by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer)

Recently added byprivate library, AnnieSeiler, Jlebre, pseudosarka, staleness, nmorse, daxjansen, rawnweasley, Arifel

The last two issues seemed out of place, and while they were amusingly meta, they didn't really add anything to the story. Outside of that, this was another strong trade. ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
I think im ready to talk a little more in-depth about this comic now that I've got a pretty good feel for it. It's still a solid four stars for me. Mostly because I can't help but compare it to Saga, even though I know I shouldn't. The art is pretty good writing is pretty good too. Brian Vaughan is an extremely witty writer and I just love his sense of humor. At times his writing is light and funny and at others it's devasatating. I absolutely love the way he weaves in these themes of feminism and gender stratification without being preachy at all. Trying not to sound like an ass here BUT you almost wouldn't catch some of his commentary without being fairly well-read on feminist issues. That being said, this doesn't give me the feels that Saga does. Probably becuase it's not a love story...like I said I know I shouldn't compare.

This insallment brought a lot to the table, in my opinion. We learned more about the World After Y and there was a lot of plot development going on as well as action. I also really enjoyed the mini-story at the end, much to my surprise. While it didn't add a lot to the plot it felt a lot to me like the writers having fun, which I love.

At this point I'm officially invested in the characters and defintley want to read the whole series. I am extremely intrigued by this world and I really want to know how it all plays out. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
I've been flouncing around the house all pouty and restless, unable to come up with a book I could concentrate on for more than five seconds. Because this is the book that I wanted to read, and I thought it wasn't coming out until next month. But we stopped in at the comics store on our way home from some errands this afternoon just to look around, and I barely kept myself from squealing when I saw this book on the shelves. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this series is that good. It's good sci-fi and a good comic. It makes you ponder and it makes you giggle fiendishly. Or at least it makes me giggle fiendishly. If I were limited to reading only one comic this year, this would be it. (but only if I get to catch up on all the back-issues of Strangers in Paradise next year, as cheesy as that is.) ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
Access a version of the below that includes illustrations on my blog.

In her excellent book, Postapocalyptic Fiction and the Social Contract: "We'll Not Go Home Again", Claire P. Curtis defines postapocalyptic fiction as "any account that takes up how humans start over after the end of life on earth as we understand it" (5). Apocalyptic fiction depicts the end, but postapocalyptic fiction foregrounds what comes after the end; she argues that it's a combination of apocalyptic fiction and the pioneer novel, in that it "take[s] the social criticism inherent in the apocalyptic text and the utopian impulse of the pioneer novel and outline[s] an origin story ironically appropriate for our time when the frontier is absent and the possibility of catastrophe seems imminent. [...] End of the world accounts serve multiple purposes. They are both didactic and cathartic. They provide both the voyeuristic satisfaction of terrible violence and the Robinson Crusoe excitement of starting over again" (6).

We can't tell stories of people living spare lives on the frontier because there is no frontier anymore; this is arguably the same impulse that gives us The Walking Dead, for example. I taught both Y: The Last Man and The Walking Dead in the same summer course on the apocalypse. And indeed, Y: The Last Man provides the "Robinson Crusoe excitement of starting over": we see in this volume how the women left after the "gendercide" have to do things like fill the gap left when popular entertainment is all gone, or how they even have women who fake being men with facial hair in order to provide sexual experiences to straight women.

Curtis is a political theorist, so what's most interesting to her are the ways the postapocalyptic fiction explores the return to the "state of nature" and the creation of a new "social contract": when we can go back to an imagined beginning, we can figure out what was natural and what was social, and try to build a new and better society: the state of nature "offers a mechanism for seeing humans are they really are, absent the conventions of an artificially constructed rule bound society; and it gives a moment for humans to consider what kind of government they would actually choose to live under" (10). If this is the purpose of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra in Y: The Last Man, it's mildly depressing. It's easy to imagine an all-the-men-are-dead novel where a feminist utopia is created-- if men are the source of all violence, then their elimination should usher in a new and better world. This does not happen in Y: The Last Man; women are perfectly capable of perpetuating conflict on their own, as we see in One Small Step where the United States and Israel battle over the recovery of what might be the last men left alive. Of course, this might simply point to the fact that the values of the "manned world" haven't been completely eradicated in the "unmanned" one. Maybe there is no real way to get back to the state of nature.

The second story collected in this volume, where we look in on a community of women visiting by a traveling theatre troupe trying to create art for the unmanned world, seems to be engaging with the idea of Curtis that "[u]topian postapocalyptic fiction uses the destruction of one world to usher in a new and potentially better one. […] These accounts can also analyze the very idea of the state of nature and the kind of contract that emerges from that state: what do we fear, what do we desire, how do we plan to allay those fears and realize those desires, how can human community help us to accomplish these ends" (7). The playwright wants to usher in a new and better world, and is doing her part by writing art that functions within that world, trying to shape the fears and desires of her postapocalyptic audience. But the audience turns out to not want that: they just want the old world back, and they just want art that tells them it's just going to be okay. They reject the promise of the postapocalypse to bring in a utopia, because to them the old world was utopian enough.

On the other hand, you can also imagine a book where a woman-run world turns out to be a dystopia, and Y: The Last Man doesn't give us that, either. A fun adventure book, of course, but I also found it was very teachable and has a lot of interesting ideas going on.
  Stevil2001 | Jun 24, 2017 |
Astronaut nonsense WAY better than Amazon nonsense XD ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Writerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chadwick, PaulIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán, José, Jr.Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, J.G.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Yorick?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,819,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible