Torch of Freedom by David Weber

Torch of Freedom (original 2009; edition 2010)

by David Weber, Eric Flint (Author)

Title:Torch of Freedom
Authors:David Weber
Other authors:Eric Flint (Author)
Info:Baen, downloaded from The Fifth Imperium
Collections:Your library, Annotated, Own
Tags:Science Fiction, Military (Naval), Espionage

Torch of Freedom by David Weber (Author) (2009)

English (9)  French (1)  All languages (10)
I loved Torch of Freedom! Not five star loved, but definitely four star loved. This is the second book in the Honorverse: Wages of Sin series that follows the ex-slave planet of Torch, led by newly crowned Queen Berry Zilwicki and her Manticorian spook father Anton and his Havenite spook colleague and friend, Victor Cachat, as they travel to the evil slaver planet of Mesa to snoop around and try to find out what Mesa is up to. They find out a lot, find a high-level scientist defector who is ready to leave with a high-level security defector too, who gets caught. Before he actually falls into Mesan security hands, he blows up a nuke and nukes Mesa’s Gamma Center, headquarters to their R&D, leaving them and everyone else to think Zilwicki and Cachat did it and died in the process. Later, we find out that they escape and make their way to Haven to turn their defector over to the authorities, where he can prove Mesa was responsible for starting the war between Manticore and Haven and where Haven’s government will try to end the war with Manticore.

Eric Flint adds some nice stuff to this book, including some humor and dialogue, as well as some good plotting elements. This book is also truly essential if one wants to learn details about some of the later Honor Harrington books in which these details are kept out. I’m already reading the third one; the series is that good. Like I said, not the best Weber. But pretty good, quite entertaining, and easily a four star book. Recommended, if reading the Honor series. ( )
  scottcholstad | Feb 14, 2016 |
The first two-thirds (400 pages) of this volume is exposition and setup; hence, it is very slow moving and sluggish. The storyline is literally people sitting around and talking, for each of the different plot threads. The adventure and action typical of the series doesn't occur until the last 200 pages. It does overlap timewise with the main Honor Harrington series and the spinoff Michele Henke series. Overall, it felt like a editor could have cut down on the exposition and made the volume more satisfying. ( )
  ktoonen | Nov 27, 2012 |
The first three quarters of the book was a lot of talk and no action; like reading the transcripts of extremely dull meeting. Dull, but not meaningless. A lot of background information is given in that part of the book; which is useful to understand other books; the background of Torch and Mesa especially. In the last quarter the pace picked up (yes!), and something finally happened. A bit disappointing compared to Crown of Slaves, which was a lot more action oriented. ( )
  markg80 | May 18, 2012 |
The little Kingdom of Torch gets it's feet underneath itself and begins to emerge on the stage of the universe. Big things are going to be heard from the Mouse that will Roar. What other kingdom of freed slaves has a mouse as its symbol? And the treaties made in the Crown of Slaves comes into play in this book as Catchet and Zilwicki head to the Beast called Mesa to find out what is really happening there, since somehow it's not acting like a company or a coroporate planet of slave producers. And can the planet and it's freedom fighters be infiltrated some how? And Bewoulf finally steps onto the stage and lets the reader know about its secret arm against slavery. ( )
  Ceysa | Oct 7, 2010 |
Yeesh. It took me ages to figure out _most_ of the plots and counterplots going on in here - I'm pretty sure I missed some. And there's at least one set up in Storm from the Shadows that didn't get resolved here - I guess it's waiting for Mission of Honor. It didn't help that the timeline for this book starts well before the end of the previous one. There are events being set up here that we already saw the end of from a different perspective. Let's see - Mesa, on at least two levels - or three, if you count the Mesa-based opposition; Cachat and Zilwicki; the ex-State Sec people, which is part of Mesa's plotting too; the Maya sector and Erewhon, with the bonus of the amusement park clan; Torch, though that's mostly personal plotting rather than grand plans. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few of the plotters that show up...I couldn't possibly keep track. Oh, the whole thing with Torch's wormhole, too. No Harrington - well, except for the meeting with Cachat and Zilwicki (I did mention the backtracking in the timeline? Very confusing). Ruth and a glimpse of Michael as the only Wintons. And so on. A cast of thousands, many of whom we meet for the first time shortly (weeks to minutes) before their deaths. One spectacular space battle, with lots of 'I didn't know they had _that_!' in it. Not so much politics, quite a bit of spywork, but mostly plotting and planning enough to make my head spin. That may be why I couldn't remember the details of Crown of Slaves - I suspect this one is going to go fuzzy very quickly, too. But good story, excellent characters, exciting events, and, despite my befuddlement, absorbing plots (and plot, too). All four (so far) of the Honorverse books, plus one mainline book out and one to come, are really one story in (lots of) parts. Flint's attitude toward the 163x universe shows up here - all the lines affect one another, it's no longer just The Adventures of Honor Harrington. Which is good, despite being a stretch for the readers. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 13, 2010 |

Weber, DavidAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flint, EricAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, David B.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lucille and Sharon,
for putting up with us . . . still.
"Welcome back."
Sector Governor Oravil Barregos, Governor of the Maya Sector in (theoretically) the Office of Frontier Security's name, stood and held out his hand with a smile as Vegar Spagen escorted the dark, trim man in the uniform of a Solarian League Navy rear admiral into his office.

As the slave masters of Mesa plot against the Star Empire of Manticore and the newly liberated slave planet of Torch, secret agent Anton Zilwicki investigates a wave of mysterious assassinations.

50 wanted1 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,696,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible