Torch of Freedom by David Weber

Torch of Freedom (original 2009; edition 2010)

by David Weber, Eric Flint (Author)

Member:ktoonen
Title:Torch of Freedom
Authors:David Weber
Other authors:Eric Flint (Author)
Info:Baen, downloaded from The Fifth Imperium
Collections:Your library, Own for Nook, Annotated
Rating:**
Tags:Science Fiction, Military (Naval), Espionage

Torch of Freedom by David Weber (Author) (2009)

English (8)  French (1)  All languages (9)
The first two-thirds (400 pages) of this volume is exposition and setup; hence, it is very slow moving and sluggish. The storyline is literally people sitting around and talking, for each of the different plot threads. The adventure and action typical of the series doesn't occur until the last 200 pages. It does overlap timewise with the main Honor Harrington series and the spinoff Michele Henke series. Overall, it felt like a editor could have cut down on the exposition and made the volume more satisfying. ( )
  ktoonen | Nov 27, 2012 |
The first three quarters of the book was a lot of talk and no action; like reading the transcripts of extremely dull meeting. Dull, but not meaningless. A lot of background information is given in that part of the book; which is useful to understand other books; the background of Torch and Mesa especially. In the last quarter the pace picked up (yes!), and something finally happened. A bit disappointing compared to Crown of Slaves, which was a lot more action oriented. ( )
  markg80 | May 18, 2012 |
The little Kingdom of Torch gets it's feet underneath itself and begins to emerge on the stage of the universe. Big things are going to be heard from the Mouse that will Roar. What other kingdom of freed slaves has a mouse as its symbol? And the treaties made in the Crown of Slaves comes into play in this book as Catchet and Zilwicki head to the Beast called Mesa to find out what is really happening there, since somehow it's not acting like a company or a coroporate planet of slave producers. And can the planet and it's freedom fighters be infiltrated some how? And Bewoulf finally steps onto the stage and lets the reader know about its secret arm against slavery. ( )
  Ceysa | Oct 7, 2010 |
Yeesh. It took me ages to figure out _most_ of the plots and counterplots going on in here - I'm pretty sure I missed some. And there's at least one set up in Storm from the Shadows that didn't get resolved here - I guess it's waiting for Mission of Honor. It didn't help that the timeline for this book starts well before the end of the previous one. There are events being set up here that we already saw the end of from a different perspective. Let's see - Mesa, on at least two levels - or three, if you count the Mesa-based opposition; Cachat and Zilwicki; the ex-State Sec people, which is part of Mesa's plotting too; the Maya sector and Erewhon, with the bonus of the amusement park clan; Torch, though that's mostly personal plotting rather than grand plans. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few of the plotters that show up...I couldn't possibly keep track. Oh, the whole thing with Torch's wormhole, too. No Harrington - well, except for the meeting with Cachat and Zilwicki (I did mention the backtracking in the timeline? Very confusing). Ruth and a glimpse of Michael as the only Wintons. And so on. A cast of thousands, many of whom we meet for the first time shortly (weeks to minutes) before their deaths. One spectacular space battle, with lots of 'I didn't know they had _that_!' in it. Not so much politics, quite a bit of spywork, but mostly plotting and planning enough to make my head spin. That may be why I couldn't remember the details of Crown of Slaves - I suspect this one is going to go fuzzy very quickly, too. But good story, excellent characters, exciting events, and, despite my befuddlement, absorbing plots (and plot, too). All four (so far) of the Honorverse books, plus one mainline book out and one to come, are really one story in (lots of) parts. Flint's attitude toward the 163x universe shows up here - all the lines affect one another, it's no longer just The Adventures of Honor Harrington. Which is good, despite being a stretch for the readers. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 13, 2010 |
There are a lot of reasons to enjoy reading David Weber. The pulpiness of his story lines, the honest appeal of his characters, the sheer bravado of their actions, the unimaginable lengths he will go to to have Age of Sail naval battles in a science fiction setting.

For me, above and beyond all of that is the banter. I can't help it, I love the little back and forths that make it into so many of the conversations. And yes, it occasionally feels like the same two or three characters over and over again, but who cares? It's wonderful and fun, and makes me laugh out loud. Or at least grin while trying to restrain a fit of giggles.

Torch of Freedom is now exception. It's a spy novel of the cheesiest caliber, and it's glorious! It picks up about a year before the end of Storm from the Shadows (which was mildly confusing - they really should start putting a timeline into the books now that they're juggling three separate series), and focuses around Anton Zilwicki and Victor Cachat. That's a pretty loose focus, at least until the very end. You spend a lot of time with a host of other characters, some familiar from previous books and some (like the folks from the amusement park IN SPACE) brand new.

In case it isn't obvious, I had a great time reading this one.

If you haven't read anything by him, I highly recommend browsing through the baen.com free library. And then going off and picking up Torch of Freedom in hardcover. The CD in the back has everything he's published through Baen in a multitude of electronic formats. ( )
1 vote Tilinka | Jan 4, 2010 |

Weber, DavidAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flint, EricAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Mattingly, David B.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Polish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
To Lucille and Sharon,
for putting up with us . . . still.
"Welcome back."
Sector Governor Oravil Barregos, Governor of the Maya Sector in (theoretically) the Office of Frontier Security's name, stood and held out his hand with a smile as Vegar Spagen escorted the dark, trim man in the uniform of a Solarian League Navy rear admiral into his office.

As the slave masters of Mesa plot against the Star Empire of Manticore and the newly liberated slave planet of Torch, secret agent Anton Zilwicki investigates a wave of mysterious assassinations.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible